Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:24am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skip this piece of crap and get a Spyderco P'Kal. Great knife, same applications, wave opener, titanium liners, S30V blade, G10 scales, axis lock... If you like this blade, the P'Kal will likely suit you better for about half the price. More comfortable carry blade and you can watch the vids on Shivworks.com for an idea of it's application.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 3:31am

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like how we're so menacing now that secret weapons are being developed by specially trained scientists just to be able to hurt us.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 6:01am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    For a "small blade" it's looks very overpriced. You can pick up a Emerson LeGriffe or equivalent for < $80.

Also carrying a blade to "attack people that try to grapple you" is a good way to be arrested. "Officer, he grab me so I stabbed him" doesn't really hold up.
    I know, but this isn't an advertisement. It was intended to be a warning, a "heads up". For every single BULLSHIDO member who respects the law, there are 100 morons with knives like this one who don't. As for the question I asked about cheaper knives of this type, I'm trying to find out how common they are. I'm a grappler too, y'know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 8:22am

Style: casual

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A solid steel 'cross' style pen is legal in ones pocket..all the time.

And when well applied (!/?) = can get one out of many a clinch situation.
    It can poke, stab pretty well, slash and gouge deeply - one can even use it for pain point compliance....totally legal to carry. One just has to know how to use this common tool for self defense, hells bells....one can not sign a credit card bill with a blade - but a chunky, steel ball point is easy and legal to carry.

Clips into a pocket comfortably.

Goes past even many security screenings..after all, 'it' is just a writing implement.
    And is largely almost as a deadly implement as the OP mentioned knife.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 9:35am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I really want to point out is that the demonstration of this knife is just as unrealistic as every anti-grappling technique William Cheung has ever dreamed up. As far as I can tell it seems to be a defense against a noogie.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:19pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my understanding of the ads, this knife isn't intended to be carried as a standalone, but rather as a handgun retention aid.

Tue fact: if a cracked-out grappler is able to grapple you, you have lost the range advantage offered by your gun - a gun which may shortly become the property of the cracked-out grappler right before he brains you with it.

Carrying a knife as an adjunct is an excellent idea; if you think there's a decent chance of your coming across a cracked-out grappler who passionately disagrees with you about whatever.

So, if you're not packin' and a cracked out grappler starts a-grapplin' you, there's no need for you to be shankin' him in his neck, or belly, or groin. You just grapple 'im for a minute and go runnin' away when the opportunity present itself.

On the other hand, if you are packin' and a cracked out grappler start a-grapplin', make no mistake: he intend to kill you. Probably with with that pistol in your belt. And he ain't gonna let you at it neither. Best to be stabbin that feller, in his belly, or his groin, or his neck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd take a push dagger over it.

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 1:51pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like push daggers as well, but I have yet to find a company that manufactures one that I REALLY like. I really wish that somebody would manufacture one with S30V or 154CM steel. Cold Steel makes some that I find decent but they dull easily and the Urban Pal, my favorite sized push dagger, only comes 3/4 or so serrated so its tough to resharpen. Benchmade makes one that's bigger than I like made with D2 Tool steel, which is decent but not worth the price tag IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 3:04pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there were some pretty interesting responses to this thread, from grapplers who adressed the possible application, and people who pretty much summed up the legality of this stuff etc. In any event, thanks to all.
    Last edited by judoist; 6/20/2010 3:07pm at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a thought on something I've noticed over the years. S30V steel is very tough and capable of holding an edge for a LONG time with proper heat treatment without having to be hardened to the point where it loses toughness. 154CM, which is also sold under a few other names, is notable mostly for the fact that it holds an edge pretty well (not as well as S30V, but then, it's much cheaper.) It's basically an attempt to create a carbon steel with nearly the corrosion resistance of a stainless (or a stainless steel with nearly the edge-holding/toughness of carbon steel.)

The reason all this matters is that none of those qualities make much difference in a pure fighting knife that's only going to be used if someone goes for your gun or attempts a noogie from the seated side headlock position. That sort of knife will be sharpened to a very keen edge and then left that way. If you're cutting cardboard with it daily, you're probably doing it wrong--and that goes double for a push dagger, which isn't the handiest utility design ever.

The truth is that a purely defensive knife actually doesn't have to be made nearly as well or from nearly the same grade of material that a working or "utility" knife does. A working knife needs to hold an edge; a "clinch pick" doesn't. A working knife needs a high degree of toughness and sometimes flexibility; a "clinch pick" is unlikely to encounter any more stress than, say, hitting bone when you gank some PCP-crazed MMA thug.

This doesn't mean you'd be wrong to get a cool knife made of awesome materials, any more than the guys who buy "extreme" damascus blades set in gold and ivory and mokume. But it's probably not any more necessary than the mokume bolsters on a gentleman's knife, either, for the knife's intended purpose.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast