Pekiti tirsia kali

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 9:55am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipponde View Post
    Gulogod, can you post videos which better represent kali local to the phillipines?
    I'm afraid I can't, those I consider locals hardly have the means to post their stuff and I feel that they don't even care if the international FMA community are aware of them or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, it doesn't? I thought sayoc kali in the phillipines was not influenced by chris sayoc? I think i read it somewhere that the system was diractly passed down from the father of chris when he came back to the philipines. The philipino guys seem to love doing live blade demos, and their movements seem more "rugged", or snappy, i don't know, more aggressive.
    Of course IT IS influenced by Chris Sayoc. Almost every style or school that is into knife usage are/should be/will be influenced by Pamana Chris Sayoc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 10:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gulogod, are you a filipino FMAer? I'm sorry for misspelling filipino in my previous posts. I could not edit them. If you are, what Kali styles in your country are considered the "premiere" FMA styles? Just curious. So far I'm loving these Doce Pares videos. I also like pekiti Tirsia, but the videos I see on youtube by pekiti feature mostly not Filipinos, but white practitioners. There are some that feature Filipinos, but I believe filmed in the USA. Is pekiti not as big in the phillippines as it is in the USA?
    Yes, I am a Filipino and an FMAer. I dabble in every MA I feel I have a connection with. I don't know what you mean by "kali" styles. All the old respected FMA styles are either called arnis, eskrima etc. Of course you can also call them kali if you wish, it doesn't really make a difference. They all refer to the same thing and share similar movements. Doce Pares IS eskrima if you happen to live in Cebu. It is not big in Manila though. Modern Arnis is the FMA of Manila. Pekiti Tirsia tend to attract the military/leo so if will never be that big in the Philippines. Filipinos have a profound dislike of military, imho.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2011 3:05pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just my observation as a Puti who has visited the Philippines

Most Filipinos in the Philippines that I have met don't really use the word Kali, in Pangasinan where I visit it tends to be called Arnis, my wifes father used the term "Cinco Teros" for the style his father taught him, which I am taught in Kali as being the 5 basic strikes/striking zones (5 strikes).
    Last edited by Pharabus; 7/15/2011 3:07pm at . Reason: spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 1:20am

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Gulogod, I learned a lot from you, a true blue eskrimador from the Philippines. What I meant by Kali styles was the different groups like pekiti tirsia, sayoc, etc.

"Almost every style or school that is into knife usage are/should be/will be influenced by Pamana Chris Sayoc."- how do you mean?

Footage of an amazing eskrimador:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 8:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you, Gulogod, I learned a lot from you, a true blue eskrimador from the Philippines. What I meant by Kali styles was the different groups like pekiti tirsia, sayoc, etc.

"Almost every style or school that is into knife usage are/should be/will be influenced by Pamana Chris Sayoc."- how do you mean?

Footage of an amazing eskrimador:
    Chris Sayoc is the first person who focused on short knives. His system has evolved to a point that it is influencing most systems and styles and now almost everyone are interested to train mainly in short knives.
    Regarding the video of Tatang Ilustrisimo, he's probably the best escrimador captured in video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 8:50am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulogod View Post
    Yes, I am a Filipino and an FMAer. I dabble in every MA I feel I have a connection with. I don't know what you mean by "kali" styles. All the old respected FMA styles are either called arnis, eskrima etc. Of course you can also call them kali if you wish, it doesn't really make a difference. They all refer to the same thing and share similar movements. Doce Pares IS eskrima if you happen to live in Cebu. It is not big in Manila though. Modern Arnis is the FMA of Manila. Pekiti Tirsia tend to attract the military/leo so if will never be that big in the Philippines. Filipinos have a profound dislike of military, imho.
    Dude, I'm from the Philly too. Los Banos, laguna ring any bells?

On the topic at hand, all the kali guys here are primarily composed of the people who are tied to arnis/kali through friends and practice it as a fun hobby(which more often than not make them very good) and the dudes that do it for exercise and/or getting a few PE2 credits(suckage galore).

Note: I've only seen arnis in my university(UPLB). This is a VERY small portion of arnis practitioners in the philippines.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2011 9:34am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by StepInCross View Post
    Dude, I'm from the Philly too. Los Banos, laguna ring any bells?
    my instructor's from paete. there's good arnis on the other side of the laguna if you're willing to make the trip and talk to the right people.

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 5:31am

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you so much, guys, I'm learning a lot from you. I thought pekiti came way before sayoc? I was under the impression that they were the first guys to focus on short blades.

I agree that old man ilustrisimo is probably the best escrimador ever!

Saw this video of one of his students

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast