Posted On:
    10/22/2010 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
    Damn, I hate the takedowns in most FMA.
    I think sapus have some utility to them. Not so much the type where you pull someone's head under their arm in a circle.

Posted On:
    10/22/2010 1:45pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Putar kepala....iunno, uses the same body mechanics as a cow catcher or bear catcher. The issue here is people who've never played under a sport ruleset learning and teaching the techniques and thus don't know basic attributes (like using the underhook and forearm check to break balance before trying to complete the putar from clinch, or doing it off of a sprawl with a single underhook.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 4:46pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I HATE Sapus. I even prefer Reaping to Besets. They don't feel it coming. I also agree that most classical Guntings are painfully unrealistic (and often dangerous to teach as being "functional" against knife attacks).

Most TMA's need some slight modifications for the style of combat that happens now. Boxing has been no different. Who fights like John L Sullivan anymore? Floro is an Ilustrisimo Guro with a heavy sabre background, like me, and traditional Ilustrisimo has very little reverse grip blade stuff, so he adapted his own style, which looks functional, and is used in sparring.

Grapplers can roll with a Dumog player until they get a thumb in the eye or a bite in the ribs during an attempted guillotine. Even the Dog Bros won't condone the headbutting and neck/spinal hammer fists that my Guros have shown me for close quarters defence. Eye jabs work in street fights against haymaker boxers. I've lost tournament medals in knife because we drill and drill for throat face targetting in sparring and that was a "prohibited thrusting target" when it was a natural response to an opening.

It's simple. The guy who steps into a "fight" against a guy who's thinking it's "combat" will get his ass sent to the hospital quickly. The ingrained rules and training will emerge under pressure and adrenal dump.

Joe MMA vs Antonio Phillipine Force Recon Marine. WITH rules:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYRn8duQMQ4

Notice the eye/face jabs with the blade in the second fight? "That's cheap man...." But that's not even really a quarter of what they TRAIN to do.
    Last edited by Pat Pintados; 11/29/2010 4:50pm at .

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 2:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pekiti-Tirsia

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    I don't know why I'm so underwhelmed watching these vids, but there needs to be someone that puts out something that's really no-nonsense.

All these super-compliant takedowns and shows of compliant drills aren't really getting me worked up.

Someone that can end a real attack as quick as possible without the opponent just standing there waiting for the next ten seconds would be very much appreciated.
    Hello,

To give an idea of what WE (I can't speak for other people, but what we do tends to be the norm) is that first, we get the basic flow down, then learn ways to finish the drill (and the opponent) and counters of those finishes. After that what we do becomes akin to sparring, but in the beginning you and your opponent are only doing that one drill, and several finishing techniques.
    It differs from sparring in a good way; it allows you to learn several techniques for a specific context and the ways they are to be used, and then apply them in sparring. But in sparring, it's rarely ever 1-on-1. Assymetrical weapons use and opponent numbers are our norm.
    Drills train reflexes, sparring trains your ability to win in an unscripted situation.

Edit: I know this is a fairly old thread, but that clears things up and it was still on the first page.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 11:48am

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Came across some more kali vids:

YouTube - Filipino Knife Fighting

YouTube - Rapido Realismo Kali

http://www.youtube.com/user/tuhonfc#p/a/u/2/35wt3x-wFQM

YouTube - KNIFE TAPING WITH GM DIETER KNUETTEL (GERMANY)

I've been doing Kali for a few months now and it's great! Got addicted to watching kali videos and I just wanted to share my newest finds!

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 1:10pm

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is anyone going to post any decent Kali? So far I've seen about a dozen videos of over complex, complient drills, light sparring and a vid showing two newbs mixing it with experts which included none of those ridiculous flurries or complicated techniques.

Is there good Kali out there or is it just ****?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2011 1:17pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Is there good Kali out there or is it just ****?
    there are good filipino martial arts out there, they're just not often seen on youtube.

tim

Posted On:
    1/16/2011 7:36pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The knife tapping stuff *is* actually foundational, and a skill you can get working in real time- and in those videos I can tell that at least (the first and the third one) are going "off script" a bit.

Stuff that's good, that you would actually want to do out of those

-using the cross-hand rather than the near-hand to counter
    - Using the back of the forearm rather than reaching out with the palm

Stuff that was dumb
    - Staying mostly square with the knife
    -failing to steal space to get past the point
    - NOT GETTING OUTSIDE THE ELBOW
    - no "corkscrew" on the tap to redirect the line before it can drop elevations

Stuff like this CAN work, especially if you're combining it with an aggressive angling off (to make space) or to crash the outside diamond to control from behind the elbow(like STAB, except you don't get cut to pieces on the way in). Both approaches show up in the dog brothers Die Less Often videos, and damned if there isn't video of it working in real time in force on force, by people who aren't very good at this. (No i'm not going to post the scenes from the DVD, as I don't think Marc would appreciate that)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you for that selfcritical. I actually learned something from your comment. Here are some more videos Icame across (BTW, if you see good kali videos on youtube, please post them here so I can have an idea of what's supposed to be good kali):

YouTube - Edged Weapon DVD Teaser Trailer

YouTube - Sayoc Kali Philippines Greenhills

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 9:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Forgive me if i dont get this part, selfcritical. Is going "off script" on the drills bad? I particularly liked the first of the 3 videos i posted and I actualy thought they were good. They were going thru the drill in a more flexible manner, and i thought that was good.
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567 89101117 ... LastLast