Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 8:46am

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Yep. Some people are just afraid of being hit and therefore hitting. I spoke with Isagani Abon (Rapido Realismo's second guy) about some of these videos and the distance issue. He said that they do not train that way in the Philippines and blamed it on their prior training methods and not enough inundation to their Kali system. I don't know though as i had not worked with them.
    I did some research on Rapido Realismo (OK i just watched most of their videos on youtube). I've seen Isagani in the videos and his techniques seem OK. A little lackluster, but OK (Now i know, it's not about luster, but I know you know what I mean, there are times that we have to show some fancy moves to attract students, and once they're in, we can show them the real techniques which maybe ugly but effective).

What I find weird is that he's blaming "it on their prior training methods and not enough inundation to their Kali system". What was he talking about? This is what i found on wiki :
    "The system strongly advocates one-on-one training as done by the masters of old to impart knowledge and skills to their students (usually father and son).Each student being trained in the system gets the same basic initial lessons but is encouraged to interpret the techniques according to their own perspectives. Every student is free to explore, add his own techniques as he sees fit, 'battle test' the techniques in the group’s weekly get-togethers in Manila, Philippines and share them with other students."

Rapido students are free to explore? Then what was he talking about? he's blaming prior training? (i'm smelling politics with that abon guy). I'm starting to warm up to kali but i heard there's a lot of politicking involved.

I particularly like how their Switzerland and San Juan groups train.

I read somewhere that Rapido is an offshoot of a "mother art", something developed by an old Flip guy, the name escapes me right now.
    Last edited by ipponde; 9/12/2010 8:56am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 9:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PS that abon dude and the pononggoro espera dont even move the same. abon is more into that stand up grappling and espera was more into boxing and espera is the founder and grandmaster right?

I'm sory i was just diappointed with the politcs. mebbe he's one of those dudes that are closeminded, like, my style is the only style. u cant crosstrain.

Hope taliesin comesback to this thread, he seems to know a lot abt kali.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's kalis ilustrissimo!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 4:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    YouTube - kali ilustrisimo master topher ricketts and bruce ricketts

This looks good! Anybody have any idea where I can find these guys? For the past week i've been learning what I can on the web about good Kali clubs. I'm still not sold on the empty hand techniques but I'm liking their weapons training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 9:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Kali finds

Posted On:
    10/12/2010 1:08pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I hate the takedowns in most FMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2010 8:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just came across more FMA-themed videos. I just love these! It would be so much fun living in the Philippines!

YouTube - Sayoc Kali Philippines : Movement Gym, Ortigas Center, Pasig City

YouTube - Kalis Ilustrisimo @ Rizal Park

The woman's got some skills!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2010 2:06pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know why I'm so underwhelmed watching these vids, but there needs to be someone that puts out something that's really no-nonsense.

All these super-compliant takedowns and shows of compliant drills aren't really getting me worked up.

Someone that can end a real attack as quick as possible without the opponent just standing there waiting for the next ten seconds would be very much appreciated.

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 9:50am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd have to agree for the most part. That was kind of what I meant by my hating the takedowns comment. Looking like a rockstar is easy against a compliant opponent who purposefully plays it stupid. Specifically with regards to most of the takedowns shown, they wouldn't work against anyone with any basic grappling ability. They assume idiocy on the part of the opponent. A Judoka with even a year's experience, or a kid who has wrestled for a season, or played football or rugby, etc., would not be taken down in this manner. It just wouldn't work, and in many cases could set you up for a nasty counter by anyone with even a bit of grappling training.

Don't presume to teach something that you don't practice regularly.

With regards to the compliant drills, they have a place in training, but it should be a small place. We do defense-against-one-hit and flurry type drills. But that's specifically to teach students how to flurry. I consider it something like elementary focus mitt drills for a boxer. Your chance of rattling off four or five unanswered hits against an opponent aren't high, yet it is a worthwhile skill to train. But it shouldn't be the only thing you train.

Once you've got basics down, things should loosen up. A feeder/focus mitt holder should start to challenge their training partner, and not just stand there like a statue. They should start moving, testing, and challenging while occasionally presenting opportunities for counters and flurries. The feeder should not just throw one shitty overcommitted hit, then freeze up.

Consistently simplifying and dumbing down drills to the point of compliancy is a disservice to the students of the club. It doesn't teach them the combative skills that they need, and it only serves to keep the drill looking pretty. Live drills just don't look so clean, but they are much more realistic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2010 8:35pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are on the same page.
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast