Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 7:33am

Style: Kali

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipponde View Post
    Sharing another one from this guy. Is what he's saying accurate? Most videos I see here on youtube on FMA footwork, do it differently. This guy is pretty popular on youtube, and I'm confused since people all seem to agree with him on the comments section. Since the Kali guys here seem to honestly speak their mind and not tptoe around not wishing to hurt sumbody's feelings at the cost of other people being misinformed, I'd like to know what the Kali guys here think.
    Only got as far as circling but some of the stuff seems wierd to me,

Around the 4 minute mark he sets his sticks up to do the female triangle bottom (we do that similarly) but his foot work his opposite, he steps his right leg to go left for example, seems his back would be turned to the attacker,

When he does the same thing in a "boxing" style he then reverts to the step as we would, he jumps a bit too much but that may be down to trying to emphasis to much for the demo

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 8:01am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sharing another one from this guy. Is what he's saying accurate? Most videos I see here on youtube on FMA footwork, do it differently. This guy is pretty popular on youtube, and I'm confused since people all seem to agree with him on the comments section. Since the Kali guys here seem to honestly speak their mind and not tptoe around not wishing to hurt sumbody's feelings at the cost of other people being misinformed, I'd like to know what the Kali guys here think.
    We've already discussed Wmpyr in this thread I believe. A lot of us have problems with things he says, he technique, and some of us believe he has little actual training outside of video training. Be wary of any Youtube teacher, such as ChosunNinja, Luke Holloway, or Wmpyr, who will teach over the Internet, but are unwilling to supply any background as to their own actual training history, certifications, etc.

Even when he's teaching something decent, the way he describes it, or the aspects he emphasizes indicate to me that he really doesn't actually understand the subjects he's talking about.

His opening footwork drill of kicking & punching with the stick does not seem to be of any benefit to actually coordinating footwork and striking, as it is not a movement that one would actually use in a stick or blade fight and not one you would really see in combat.

His idea of closing your legs on a push step to protect the groin makes no sense to me, since you would not do that in any other situation where your groin is open. It leads to bad mechanics. Again, it looks like he's looking at footwork videos from someone else and trying to describe the concepts he's seeing, but not actually knowing what those concepts are because he doesn't have mat time with an actual instructor.

He confuses circling with lateral motion. Not that circling doesn't involve lateral motion, but the two are not the same.

Ohhhhh....he fought in no rules challenge matches? Really? I'd love to hear those stories.

You'll note as soon as he talks about "footwork for the street", his motion completely contradicts the previous motion he was teaching. There's no continuity of principle across what he teaches. It's all ad hoc, which again indicates he's grabbing basic stuff off of other peoples' videos. Previously, his drills were teaching you to step along the angle with your "rear" foot, "running" he called it. Now, he has you lunging with the lead foot.

It's not that either of these things are wrong, it's just that there' a place and a rhyme and a reason for both of them, and he completely neglects to explain that in his videos, which again indicates he only has a very superficial understanding of what he's teaching. These are things that someone who's been training with me consistently for two months will have a decent understanding of, because they are basic principles. Also, it has nothing to do with protecting your balls. Or at least very, very little.

And really, Aikido? And he's not even describing Aikido principles very well.

Seriously what is it with Youtube gurus obsession with getting hit in the cock? Luke Holloway displayed the same thing on a couple videos.

So, he's describing a cross step...to protect his groin. Remember a few moments ago when he was talking about using circling motion to get to your opponent's backside? If he's going to use the cross step in the manner he's describing, I'm going to have his back really really quickly. Not only that, but it puts the rear arm completely out of the fight until he re-orients. Why take two steps when only one is needed?

And he says he used all this in no rules challenge matches?

I'm a fan of protecting my balls as much as the next person, but in a stick match or a knife fight, my balls are not the only, and not even the most vital thing I'm concerned about protecting, and I'm not going to sacrifice my back or put my rear arm out of commision to protect my balls.

And again with the over-rotation. I believe I addressed this in a critique of one of his other videos you posted. Over rotation of your hips/spine leaves you completely open. I feel fairly confident saying this person has never trained sinawali as an actual fighting technique against someone who would be hitting him back. He's taking videos of Kali drills, and then making up his own **** to do with them.

In the first portion of this video, you have Kuya Doug Marcaida feeding his students, who respond with Sinawali, aka Heaven 6. Note that they do not need to twist their spines out of alignment to articulate the fighting technique. You are using two weapons, why would you expose your back and take one of your weapons out of range?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 8:03am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys seem to have a pretty solid empty hands system
    Guro Jun De Leon has been a huge influence on one of my main teachers, Kuya Doug Marcaida. He has only the highest respect for Guro Jun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:48am

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "I'm a fan of protecting my balls as much as the next person, but in a stick match or a knife fight, my balls are not the only, and not even the most vital thing I'm concerned about protecting, and I'm not going to sacrifice my back or put my rear arm out of commision to protect my balls."

Vulgar :), but makes a lot of sense. This got to be one of the truest words I have ever heard. Thank you!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Derauslander : With Chosunninja and wympyr, I feel sometimes that there are things they say thatare a little bit "off". But I actually thought Luke Holloway was the real deal. :( Thanks for the heads up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I love these drills

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New vidz from the Rapio realismo kali guys

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 7:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    good disarms!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2013 8:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Presently my favorite video!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 8:57am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Presently my favorite video!
    Did you ever get any real training or are you still youtubing it ? I ask because that video is pure comedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21 LastLast