Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 12:03pm

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bodhi, from a kali guy's point of view, why do you say you don't? Just curious.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 12:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This kept me entertained. on't know why a man wearing ninja clothes would teach kali.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 12:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ipponde View Post
    new stuff from the rapid guys
    For the knife experts, while they are wrestling with the knife at 0:10, I can't see how the skinny guy transfers the knife to the left hand. Did he, or did he have 2 knives to start with?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 12:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bodhi, from a kali guy's point of view, why do you say you don't? Just curious.
    A lot of bullshit he spouts.

"If you're military, you're going for the neck, if you're a civilian, you're going for the arm."

Like a lot of guys with very little actual background in law enforcement or military, or actually teaching law enforcement or military, he doesn't have a wit of a clue about use of force.

Use of a knife constitutes use of lethal force. You don't draw your knife as a deterent, you don't draw your knife for show, and you don't draw your knife to wound. While defanging the snake is a valid tactic, and yes, you may choose to flee after a successful defang, a civilian in a situation in which he must draw his knife should be just as prepared to go for the neck as a solider...and vice versa a soldier should be just as prepared to go for the hand if that's the strike that presents itself.

You don't defang because it's a step below lethal force on any sort of law enforcement force continuum. You defang because it is an offensive tactic designed to remove a threat to you, ie. your opponent's weapon.

Hell, if you cut their artery & he bleeds out during a defang, do you think a judge is going to say, "Well, he was just going for the hand, so obviously, it wasn't lethal force?"

Just as with a gun, if you are in a situation where you need to draw your knife, it had better be a situation in which you are prepared to go all the way.

AND IT'S FUCKING PRONOUNCED WITH A "V", JUST LIKE VAMPIRE!!!!

Based on other videos, I get the impression his training comes from watching Vunak videos.
    Last edited by Jiggle Butt; 9/19/2012 1:00pm at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the knife experts, while they are wrestling with the knife at 0:10, I can't see how the skinny guy transfers the knife to the left hand. Did he, or did he have 2 knives to start with?
    Its kinda hard to tell from the camerawork, but sneaky hand transfers and sneaky weapon drawing are both equally plausible for someone who practices them. I've done both plenty of times in training.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 1:25pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

That is a huuuuuuge punyo. I'd have fun stripping those sticks. I know different systems use different punyo lengths, but has anybody else seen them that big?

"You gotta learn how to turn"

Turn that much, and you're completely removing one of your weapons from combat, and exposing your backside. The point of sinawali is to be able to weave with both weapons, not to just bang with one weapon at a time.

Compare:

Note, during the feeder drill halfway through, the receiver very rarely turns his body. It exposes him when he does. You have two weapons, point both of them at the opponent. Use both of them.

My conclusion is that Wmpyr is largely self-taught. Yes, you turn your body to a degree, but if you give me your back like that, I'm going to do a number on your spine. A lot of what he says just leads me to believe he's never actually banged with a stick. His commentary on what a FMA teacher would do "about this time" regarding partner work makes me wonder if he's ever trained under an FMA instructor. Again, I know systems differ, but I wouldn't wait until someone's midway into learning sinawali before including partner drills in their training. You mean they've been doing Heaven & Earth patterns solo this entire time? Really?

And dios con queso those punyos are huge....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 1:28pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post

That is a huuuuuuge punyo. I'd have fun stripping those sticks. I know different systems use different punyo lengths, but has anybody else seen them that big?

"You gotta learn how to turn"

Turn that much, and you're completely removing one of your weapons from combat, and exposing your backside. The point of sinawali is to be able to weave with both weapons, not to just bang with one weapon at a time.

Compare:

Note, during the feeder drill halfway through, the receiver very rarely turns his body. It exposes him when he does. You have two weapons, point both of them at the opponent. Use both of them.

My conclusion is that Wmpyr is largely self-taught. Yes, you turn your body to a degree, but if you give me your back like that, I'm going to do a number on your spine. A lot of what he says just leads me to believe he's never actually banged with a stick. His commentary on what a FMA teacher would do "about this time" regarding partner work makes me wonder if he's ever trained under an FMA instructor. Again, I know systems differ, but I wouldn't wait until someone's midway into learning sinawali before including partner drills in their training. You mean they've been doing Heaven & Earth patterns solo this entire time? Really?

And dios con queso those punyos are huge....
    massive punyo, we leave no more than 2 inches more like 1, I believe that is considered quite small but the idea is to avoid stripping and if you need to adust to punyo strike that's Ok

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 1:37pm

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FWIW we're also a max 2" punyo style. The JKD Kali I learned (buggered if I know the lineage) was a bit longer, but nothing like this guy's.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Arlan Sanford's lineage seems to do a long punyo like that, but they use a longer-than-normal baston, and their stickwork has a heavy krabi krabong influence, so they hold their stick like a dha, and use it to hook the neck etc. Actually, now that I'm looking at some sparring pics for examples a lot of them have a more standard grip. Maybe its just an effort to compensate for a big stick?

The Irish stickfighters also seem to like a long punyo

They don't fight with eskrima sticks though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2012 2:03pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Garimot Arnis, we generally use a fist-length punyo. The video looked like he was using about a fist and a half. Could be he didn't have much room to film and needed to choke up, could be he likes the feel of it better that way. Who knows.
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast