Our Sponsors:

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112131420 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 8:38am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulogod View Post
    Chris Sayoc is the first person who focused on short knives. His system has evolved to a point that it is influencing most systems and styles and now almost everyone are interested to train mainly in short knives.
    Regarding the video of Tatang Ilustrisimo, he's probably the best escrimador captured in video.
    The trend for styles to be all-encompassing of weapons categories in FMA is relatively recent- the dominant trend has been familial styles focused on small groups of weapons. There have to be dozens of knife-focused familial styles in the philipines, and I am almost certain that the vast majority of them are not familiar at all with the American FMA scene.

I've been exposed to a pretty wide selection of styles in the US, and the only ones I've seen with visible sayoc influence were Atienza, FCS, and to a lesser extent, Amok.

I've seen Pekiti drills in Lacoste, Insosanto blend, and things i've suspected to have origin in other styles, but not confirmed.

I would expect in the US that Illustrisimo and Pekiti have the most influence on blade style, because Dan insosanto has folded them into his curriculum.

I only trained Sayoc for roughly 6 months, but I never saw a single drill from the sayoc curriculum in the 6 years i've done pekiti or that I've been exposed to insosanto lacoste style. I saw one during Amok! practice

Posted On:
    7/27/2011 8:45am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neither Pekiti or Sayoc are that old, really. Pekiti is a familal style that grew rapidly into something like it's modern form about 150 years ago, because a number of the Tortal family were missionaries, and as a consequence got exposed to a wide variety of styles in a relatively short period of time. Them getting together with the rest of the family and going "here's what I saw over there......how would you guys counter that" is how it came to exist the way it is now. By contrast I'm sure there are Moro styles (particularly those influenced by silat) that date back in the 300-500 year range, but just never got popularized or imported to the states. Leo Gaje just had the fortune of being a particularly talented player with a good theoretical knowledge of WHY his blade technique worked, and the fortune to move to the US during the craze of fascination with eastern martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 9:59pm

Style: Southeast Asian MA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have watched most videos of atienza and FCS Kali, and they do look a little bit like sayoc. Never heard of the Amok guys before, though. I will definitely look into them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 10:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GM Leo Gaje seems like a total badass. I have heard him say in one of his older videos (Can't seem to find it now) that the answer to disrespect is the blade, so you do not disrespect me, or something like that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2011 10:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Came accross this new rapido realismo video today

Luneta seems like a very good place to be for a martial artist.
    Last edited by ipponde; 8/19/2011 10:06pm at . Reason: typo

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 2:01pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin View Post
    Full contact competitions? Where are the competitions where people pull out eyes, throats and other vital areas? There is a difference between combat arts and sport arts. Personally I train to win any altercation and I avoid them if I can. I do not train for competitions and trophies. I support you if you do. Please enjoy. Competitions with rules are not the test of a true martial system
    That is because you have been brain washed by BBT. look at DBMA's version of kali/Krabbi blend "If you see it taught you see it fought"
    Last edited by shinbushi; 8/20/2011 2:11pm at . Reason: add in quote

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2011 3:59pm

Style: PTK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Re Pekiti Tirsia, it is becoming quite popular in the Philippines. There are 7 PTK clubs on Manila, i teach in two of them.

Personally, my students and I prefer to keep a low profile. Thus we don't post videos on youtube. So just because there are hardly any videos of PTK from the Philippines on youtube doesn't mean we don't exist :)

Now, if you want to see some PTK done by a Filipino, here's Nonoy Garrucho of Bacolod.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Flipper, whew, THAT is brutal! PTK rocks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 5:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Came across this video today, I didn't know waht to think of it:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2011 7:14pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--