Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 12:43pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo type throw questions

I have been getting back into grappling and have decided to put a few judo style throws into the mix.(Versions of the simple hip or shoulder type).

I have been hesitant in the past because I did not want to give up my back but our stand up position is one side underhook and the other controls the wrist or elbow.(Standard wrestling clinch?).

As far as I can work out I can shoot in for these throws withthout worrying too much about my back being controlled because I can either escape through the underhook or just go back to the wrestling clinch.

Or I missed something?

And antother quick one while I am here. I have learnt the legs together version of the hip throw rather than the squat vesion is there any difference in these two?

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:10pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    I have been getting back into grappling and have decided to put a few judo style throws into the mix.(Versions of the simple hip or shoulder type).

I have been hesitant in the past because I did not want to give up my back but our stand up position is one side underhook and the other controls the wrist or elbow.(Standard wrestling clinch?).

As far as I can work out I can shoot in for these throws withthout worrying too much about my back being controlled because I can either escape through the underhook or just go back to the wrestling clinch.

Or I missed something?
    With both throws you can indeed reset fairly quickly. The underhook will help protect your back with the hip[ throw, but your more vulnerable with the shoulder. Also keep in mind, there are counter throws that your opponent may utilize no matter what you do.

And antother quick one while I am here. I have learnt the legs together version of the hip throw rather than the squat vesion is there any difference in these two?
    I don't understand the question, can you give a description of the two techniques?

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when I did JJJ years ago we did our lift for almost all shoulder and hip (anything that diddnt involve a sweep) with our feet together.
    Nowdays I have seen people do the same throw with their feet apart. Like a horse stance to use a TMA term.
    I will try to find some video

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feet too close together means you're unstable, feet too far apart means you can't get your hip across.

Try, I don't know... somewhere in between.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    discussing judo throws without using their proper names is a quick way to failure.

you should go over to judoinfo.com and try to figure out which throws you are talking about.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uh, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about dude, but here's something I've been using to great success lately.

YouTube- Sambo Techniques - Sambo Throws for Nogi #1 - Arm Drop Throw

It's really important to understand that you're trying to trap his shoulder, not his bicep.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Making a successful entry in a hip throw (including the shoulder throw) is all about breaking uke's balance in the direction you want to throw him. If the guy you're trying to throw is stable and you turn your back to him, he's just gonna grab you and eat your head.

Learn to break his balance forward. If you get him to the point where he's using his grip on you to stabilize himself, he won't have much power to restrain or oppose you. Learn to enter so that he is falling onto your back, rather than you backing your hips into him. If your ass pushes him backward when you're trying to throw him forward, you're giving yourself more work.

As for your feet, you want to stay on the balls of your feet and throw with them about shoulder width apart. Horse stance can give you power but you lose mobility, both in that your hips cannot turn much and that you cannot step again quickly if you need to. Feet too close together and you lose stability, which means you cannot generate much power from your stance.

I am a living legend!

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Immamura sensei says to drive in with combinations. For uchi mata, a feint kouchi gari is perfect.

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool thanks for the advice.
    Names may be a continuing problem Instuctor is kind of english as a second language. He mostly just yells posture and hip escape at me.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 2:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    cool thanks for the advice.
    Names may be a continuing problem Instuctor is kind of english as a second language. He mostly just yells posture and hip escape at me.
    dude, just go here and look for the throws (there are pictures and animations) then we can talk about the throws you are trying to do. http://judoinfo.com/new/techniques/t...of-the-kodokan

for instance, in sirc's post i know *exactly* what he is talking about, which makes the discussion more productive:

Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    Immamura sensei says to drive in with combinations. For uchi mata, a feint kouchi gari is perfect.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast