230829 Bullies, 4480 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 117
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,775

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 4:37pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    I don't think Bartitsu, the stick portion at least, can be categorized as Japanese. Didn't Barton-Wright get the stick material entirely from Pierre Vigny? The Japanese had a stick style called tanjojutsu but I forget whether it was a contemporary of Bartitsu or not.
    Uchida-ryu tanjojutsu was an 1880s adaptation of jojutsu techniques to the European-style walking stick, which had recently become fashionable in Japan. As such it actually pre-dated Bartitsu by about ten years, but there's no evidence of any actual connection between the two styles.

    Barton-Wright always credited Pierre Vigny for the stick fighting component of Bartitsu, which seems to have been Vigny's own invention; it was radically different from the stick fencing that was practiced elsewhere in Europe at the time. There has been speculation that some of the close-combat techniques - the takedowns, etc. - may have been adapted from the jujitsu taught by Barton-Wright, Yukio Tani or Sadakazu Uyenishi at the Bartitsu Club in London, but there's no proof of that either way.
  2. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 4:52pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    How have I missed this thread until now. Man, these forums are going absolutely crazy these days.

    And for the record, the whole Judiasm angle is one reason I kept pursuing the Brinn investigation once it came to light; it is offensive and misleading, in that people can think he is teaching a Jewish martial art.
    Here we go again with the symbolic bin-burning.

    http://www.shamarsystem.com/training...-ceremony.html



    Hmm. He seems to be suggesting that he and his guys are open to the idea of starting bin fires in non-martial arts contexts too...
  3. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,492

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 5:56pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Here we go again with the symbolic bin-burning.

    http://www.shamarsystem.com/training...-ceremony.html



    Hmm. He seems to be suggesting that he and his guys are open to the idea of starting bin fires in non-martial arts contexts too...
    Do you get the impression that he's just a pyromaniac looking for context anywhere he can?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  4. NeilG is online now
    NeilG's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Posts
    1,365

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 9:56am


     Style: Kendo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    Also, I'd like to get a second opinion on kendo as a stick style.
    Kendo is not a stick style. The shinai represent swords and are treated as such.
  5. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 4:27pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Do you get the impression that he's just a pyromaniac looking for context anywhere he can?
    Do symbolic fires count as alternative energy sources, as a matter of interest?
  6. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 5:12pm


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SifuJason View Post
    How have I missed this thread until now. Man, these forums are going absolutely crazy these days.

    And for the record, the whole Judiasm angle is one reason I kept pursuing the Brinn investigation once it came to light; it is offensive and misleading, in that people can think he is teaching a Jewish martial art.
    Jewish martial arts don't exist in a historical context. They haven't since Rome destroyed the Temple and razed Jerusalem in 67 c.e. Abir is fake IMHO, it looks like bad TSD with some Kali and Aikido. Krav Maga is like saying Kung Fu, and there are many "styles" of Krav Maga, but for the most part ( I am not aware of any made by a non-jew, but I may be wrong) they are made by Jews in Israel. Jason Brinn isn't Jewish. Incorporating jesus into a something and then calling it Jewish is like cooking a pork rib and calling it kosher. Jews don't fight in general, there are a few exceptions of Jews who are into MA (myself, white kimbo, others on this website)but the notion of a Jewish martial art outside the context of what is developed in Israel for the IDF is a false.
    This stupid fool doesn't even know how to conjugate a verb in Hebrew much less claim to be an authority in anything Jewish. I'm teetering on pulling a Miyomoto Musashi and destroying him with a boat oar.
  7. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 5:23pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    Jewish martial arts don't exist in a historical context. They haven't since Rome destroyed the Temple and razed Jerusalem in 67 c.e. Abir is fake IMHO, it looks like bad TSD with some Kali and Aikido. Krav Maga is like saying Kung Fu, and there are many "styles" of Krav Maga, but for the most part ( I am not aware of any made by a non-jew, but I may be wrong) they are made by Jews in Israel. Jason Brinn isn't Jewish. Incorporating jesus into a something and then calling it Jewish is like cooking a pork rib and calling it kosher. Jews don't fight in general, there are a few exceptions of Jews who are into MA (myself, white kimbo, others on this website)but the notion of a Jewish martial art outside the context of what is developed in Israel for the IDF is a false.
    This stupid fool doesn't even know how to conjugate a verb in Hebrew much less claim to be an authority in anything Jewish. I'm teetering on pulling a Miyomoto Musashi and destroying him with a boat oar.
    AFAIK, O-Daisoke has never actually claimed to be Jewish - rather (from what I gather from how he explained it here), he added some Jewishness to his pre-existing Jesus and found the Truth. Or something.

    No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - MMA Cross Training Center of Raleigh
    No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - MMA Cross Training Center of Raleigh
  8. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,492

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 5:54pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    Jewish martial arts don't exist in a historical context. They haven't since Rome destroyed the Temple and razed Jerusalem in 67 c.e.
    Probably never happened...
    As for Jewish martial arts... er... how's your sword/spear/sling technique?
    Nuff said.

    Abir is fake IMHO, it looks like bad TSD with some Kali and Aikido. Krav Maga is like saying Kung Fu, and there are many "styles" of Krav Maga, but for the most part ( I am not aware of any made by a non-jew, but I may be wrong) they are made by Jews in Israel. Jason Brinn isn't Jewish. Incorporating jesus into a something and then calling it Jewish is like cooking a pork rib and calling it kosher. Jews don't fight in general, there are a few exceptions of Jews who are into MA (myself, white kimbo, others on this website)but the notion of a Jewish martial art outside the context of what is developed in Israel for the IDF is a false.
    This stupid fool doesn't even know how to conjugate a verb in Hebrew much less claim to be an authority in anything Jewish. I'm teetering on pulling a Miyomoto Musashi and destroying him with a boat oar.
    Abir had some discussion on defend.net if I recall. Yehosua Sofer does hold rank in TSD, and IMO did slap a whole lot of bullshit into the art for it's "historical" jewish element. I believe WK will have some shits and giggles going over that one.

    As for making up a new art, the guy's probably qualified, at least in terms of holding legit rank. No idea to be sure.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  9. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:03pm


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He said he follows the Torah. That would imply that he doesn't believe in a son of god/trinity, that would also imply that he has converted to judaism, which by the looks of it he hasn't or will vene be allowed to if he wanted. I don't want to start a "my religion is the only true one blah-blah-blah" but there is nothing about jesus that is Jewish. He, Jason, has no authority to even look in a Torah and say that he understands it. The number of works that have survived persecution/war puts the Library of Congress to shame. I couldn't even begin to describe the amount of learning it takes someone to be competent enough to interpret Jewish law, but I can say that my 7 years of learning only gave me enough knowledge to begin learning how to interpret Law ie. give legal verdicts. Philosophy is whole different matter and I can tell that the shear number of volumes of material ( and foreknowledge to understand) of my school of thought is enormous. I think 500 volumes of work, I'll ask White Kimbo, maybe he has a better estimate. I have only seen a partial library and that took up 40 feet or 12 ft bookshelves and several cupboards to store. The only truth this man has discovered is how to sucker people into his cult and sell Bullshido.
  10. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/24/2010 6:08pm


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Probably never happened...
    As for Jewish martial arts... er... how's your sword/spear/sling technique?
    Nuff said.



    Abir had some discussion on defend.net if I recall. Yehosua Sofer does hold rank in TSD, and IMO did slap a whole lot of bullshit into the art for it's "historical" jewish element. I believe WK will have some shits and giggles going over that one.

    As for making up a new art, the guy's probably qualified, at least in terms of holding legit rank. No idea to be sure.
    What never happened?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.