233622 Bullies, 3961 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 71 to 80 of 117
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 4:36pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Just send him a pm or contact him through the Shamar site if you want to challenge him. It's bad form to beat one's chest about what you'd do to such-and-such who isn't right in front of you IMO, no matter who it is.
    Just for the record (before this has a chance to take a turn for the nasty), Jason Brinn is not *really* grading people to the rank of 'rabbi', for money or otherwise. Sri was joking - but it seems that fights4peace may have missed that...
  2. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:05pm


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Just for the record (before this has a chance to take a turn for the nasty), Jason Brinn is not *really* grading people to the rank of 'rabbi', for money or otherwise. Sri was joking - but it seems that fights4peace may have missed that...
    i don't like his blatant abuse and misrepresentation of my religion. I don't care what he personally believes, just don't lower mine to a selling point.
  3. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:14pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    i don't like his blatant abuse and misrepresentation of my religion. I don't care what he personally believes, just don't lower mine to a selling point.
    There's probably at least one Zulu out there who is thinking exactly the same thing, except with fighting sticks instead of religion. :icon_geek
  4. maofas is offline
    maofas's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,975

    Posted On:
    6/21/2010 11:31pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or some old Irish guy with a shillelagh.
  5. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/22/2010 7:14pm


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or some .....wait every culture has in some form fought with sticks.
    heres a list of styles:
    Arnis (Filipino)
    Bajan stick licking (Barbados)
    Bartitsu (English, Swiss/French and Japanese)
    Bata (Irish)
    Baranta (Hungarian)
    Bâton français (French)
    Bōjutsu (Japanese, Okinawan)
    Calinda (Caribbean, especially Trinidad)
    Canne de combat (French)
    Dravidian martial arts (Dravidian)
    Egyptian stick fencing
    Eskrima (Filipino)
    Gun (staff) (Chinese)
    Hanbo (Japanese)
    Jogo do Pau (Portuguese)
    Jojutsu (Japanese)
    Juego del Garrote (Venezuela)
    Juego del Palo (Canary Islands)
    Kendo (Japanese)
    La canne (French modern)
    Makila (Basque)
    Nguni stick fighting (South African herdboy tradition)
    Obnu Bilate (South Africa, Southern Botswana)
    Quarterstaff (English Medieval)
    Shillelagh (Irish)
    Silambam (Tamil)
    SCA rattan weapons (United States)
    Tamil Martial Arts (Tamil)
    Singlestick (English)
    palcaty - signum polonicum (polish)
  6. dougguod is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    271

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:19am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think Bartitsu, the stick portion at least, can be categorized as Japanese. Didn't Barton-Wright get the stick material entirely from Pierre Vigny? The Japanese had a stick style called tanjojutsu but I forget whether it was a contemporary of Bartitsu or not.

    Also, I'd like to get a second opinion on kendo as a stick style. Yes, the training was done with sticks(if we want to call a shinai a stick) but for swords ,at least in theory. I know kendo and kenjutsu were not meant to be entirely synonymous.
  7. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:22am


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    I don't think Bartitsu, the stick portion at least, can be categorized as Japanese. Didn't Barton-Wright get the stick material entirely from Pierre Vigny? The Japanese had a stick style called tanjojutsu but I forget whether it was a contemporary of Bartitsu or not.

    Also, I'd like to get a second opinion on kendo as a stick style. Yes, the training was done with sticks(if we want to call a shinai a stick) but for swords ,at least in theory. I know kendo and kenjutsu were not meant to be entirely synonymous.
    and rattan sticks in escrima are really machetes but everyone equates it with stick fighting
  8. dougguod is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    271

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:25am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fights4peace View Post
    and rattan sticks in escrima are really machetes but everyone equates it with stick fighting
    That depends on who you ask. Some escrimadors will tell you that the stick is a proxy blade, others will tell you that a stick is a stick. Others still will tell you it can be either and the technique being used indicates what the "real" weapon is. For instance, a thrust could be a stab (blade) or a jab (stick), swinging could be slashing (blade) or bludgeoning (stick), but the styles that teach close quarter locking and trapping, which may require grabbing one's own stick [pause for immature giggling and Lebell references] for leverage probably wouldn't attempt doing so with a two-foot razor. For context, how does your FMA treat stick use?
    Last edited by dougguod; 6/23/2010 1:29am at .
  9. fights4peace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    343

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 1:42am


     Style: BJJ, FMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As both. We focus alot on defanging which is the same regardless and alot of our disarms our stick style especially in sumbrada. We don't disarm machetes. For them defanging is the only disarm.
    Last edited by fights4peace; 6/23/2010 1:46am at .
  10. SifuJason is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,354

    Posted On:
    6/23/2010 11:01am


     Style: WHKD (Kaju), Sub. Grapple

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How have I missed this thread until now. Man, these forums are going absolutely crazy these days.

    And for the record, the whole Judiasm angle is one reason I kept pursuing the Brinn investigation once it came to light; it is offensive and misleading, in that people can think he is teaching a Jewish martial art.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.