Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA Training Accountability

I really was not sure where to put this.

When you are specifically working with an MMA gym as opposed to a traditional art, what are you really looking for to gauge your progress. Most of the places I have seen do not have belt ranking or anything of that sort. You go from beginning to intermediate when your instructor says so. Amateur MMA just became legal in cali recently so prior to this there was not even really a way to test your skills against others.

As more and more of these spots pop up, I think quality control will be problematic. I mean most are throwing up cages and boxing rings and they have a "grappling" class "striking" class and what not.

Don't get me wrong..for my fitness level MMA cardio is just fine for me...but I am going to be hitting my training a lot harder when I get some more weight off and I want to be more descriminating.

Style
    Hokutoryu Ju-jutsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJayBoogie View Post
    When you are specifically working with an MMA gym as opposed to a traditional art, what are you really looking for to gauge your progress.
    Sparring.

When I started, I was getting pummeled and submitted all the time. Nowadays I don't. Ergo, I've made progress. Or my sparring partners have gotten shittier :P

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arskanator View Post
    Sparring.

When I started, I was getting pummeled and submitted all the time. Nowadays I don't. Ergo, I've made progress. Or my sparring partners have gotten shittier :P
    excellent point, good advice.

Style
    No-Gi/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sparring and competing really are just about the only ways. You sound like you've been training a while, but for other people just make sure you research the gym and your instructors before you start. Like you said, so many schools are now teaching "MMA" and I'm sure many of them are not qualified to do so.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA wasn't created in a vacuum, it came from somewhere. Do your trainers have rank in constituent arts? If full mma competition is outlawed or not interesting to you, you could compete in some subset like sub grappling or kickboxing or something.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will learn everything you need to know...mostly by necessity. The single best thing you can do for the first year is lose...but learn from every loss, always ask.."How did you get that on me", whether you think you know or not. After three months...maybe less, maybe more...a new person will walk in and you will see yourself in them...and you will help them close doors on their weaknesses just like the guys did before with you. The instructor should have been involved in fighting and training fighters. He doesn't have to be a UFC champion, but he has to be committed to his program, not himself.

Style
    No-Gi/MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam124 View Post
    He doesn't have to be a UFC champion
    This is a very good point. Just as long as they're experienced and know what they're doing, you should be gtg. You don't have to be an amazing fighter to be an amazing coach.

Style
    Jerry-Bashing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adam124 View Post
    You will learn everything you need to know...mostly by necessity. The single best thing you can do for the first year is lose...but learn from every loss, always ask.."How did you get that on me", whether you think you know or not. After three months...maybe less, maybe more...a new person will walk in and you will see yourself in them...and you will help them close doors on their weaknesses just like the guys did before with you. The instructor should have been involved in fighting and training fighters. He doesn't have to be a UFC champion, but he has to be committed to his program, not himself.
    That was a great answer, Adam124. Welcome to Bullshido. Keep posting.

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJayBoogie View Post
    Amateur MMA just became legal in cali recently so prior to this there was not even really a way to test your skills against others.
    What do you define as recently? Amateur MMA has been pretty standard fair for a while now.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    What do you define as recently? Amateur MMA has been pretty standard fair for a while now.
    http://www.fighters.com/01/08/c-a-m-...-in-california

only smokers were allowed so they way I read this that there had been no legal amateur fights in cali until January