Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    BJJ, MT, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newbie to all things Martial Arts

Hey Bullshido, I kinda stumbled onto the site while trying to figure out where to study Martial Arts and which kinds to study. I have no history of Martial Arts training.

My main reason for posting here is mostly for advice on what kind of Martial Arts would suit me and finding a non-Bullshido school. I have read your article on how to spot bullshido schools. That has been good for filtering out some schools in my area that looked like McDojos. However, then it becomes difficult to find a good school from that point on. I live in the Metro Detroit area, more specifically the Rochester Hills area, and any insight about good schools by members in the area would be most welcome.

I am 24 years old, 5'11" and 224 pounds. I used to be 260-270 pounds until I decided enough was enough and hit the gym and changed my eating habits. Now that I have lost a decent amount of weight and strength trained a bunch, I feel confident enough to try out some MA. My goals for training would be the following:

1. Self-Confidence (still don't have a great deal of it despite the weight loss).

2. Additional or alternative form of workout (treadmills get boring after a while and I still want to lose more weight).

3. Learning some self-defense, not that I ever expect to be in a situation where its needed but it would be nice to know how.

4. Something that can help with stress control would be nice as I tend to have high blood pressure :(

Now for the type of martial arts I would be interested in....I am split. On the one hand there is the whole MMA world and on the other the more traditional styles of MA. From what I have read on the site you folks seem to prefer MMA over the traditional styles. I do not know for sure if I would like the MMA but I will give it and any other styles a good try.

I have not at this point ventured out to any schools to check them out; I want to make sure I find some places that seem legit first using the web.

Thank you guys for any help you can give.

(if this is not the forum to ask for help for stuff I apologize in advance).

Style
    MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'll help if you could post the websites of the schools you want to check out. Most of them have youtube accounts that you can see.

Example: Muay Thai gym sparring are controlled and elbows aren't allowed. Full contact and elbows are only for pros.

Judo sparring looks really rough and Brazillian Jiu Jitsu guys are just plain awesome on the ground.

The styles you pick will heavily rely on which ones are available at your area but I suggest starting with a solid striking art first. This way, you'll have a habit of keeping your guard up and defending against punches.

Take Muay Thai if you can, you can engage from kicking range, to punching range, to clinching range. That means you're not clueless when the attacker starts hugging you.

DO INFORM YOUR INSTRUCTOR AND BE CONSCIOUS ABOUT YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE.
    Last edited by iopyud; 6/26/2010 9:11pm at .

Style
    BJJ, MT, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are a few I have found:

http://www.tntmartialarts.com/
    They have karate, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and some form of MMA. Looked kinda McDojoish to me based on karate pictures.

http://maunlimited.com/ T
    his place offers the muay thai, BJJ and a whole host of other stuff.

http://www.conquestmartialarts.com/ has the muay thai and some other stuff that sounded kinda interesting (like the sword training thing; weapon training sounds kinda neat).

I haven't found anything with Judo anywhere near my area, despite some google searching.

Thanks for replying iopyud

Style
    MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for what you should take : I think it's either MMA or Muay Thai.
    Judo is cheaper than BJJ but both should fulfill your ground fighting needs.

Take note that McDojos these days are also riding the MMA bandwagon.

As for your links:

Conquest's Muay Thai looks OK. The rest, I dunno.

And TNT... I dunno man, Nickelodeon award?

MAUnlimited offers a lot of classes, alright. Filipino Martial Arts are often almost always weapons based.

Just see how often they spar, advanced people should do controlled sparring every session. Check if they have heavy bags and do lots of pad work.

For grappling, well, no control required, just tap out when things get bad.

Oh and another thing on weapon training, it shouldn't be repeated drills and no sparring, it should have some sort of unscripted sparring.

Search Dog Brothers for an idea of how weapons training should look like.

TL:DR Ask (phone) how often advanced people spar and how hard.
    Last edited by iopyud; 6/26/2010 9:51pm at .

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friendly school where ego is left at the door. Instructor is more important than style.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a good MA school, people often forget their ego because they're too busy learning. lol.

Style
    Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wouldnt recommend MMA outright if you never did this before, i am also assuming you havent played many contact sports ?

generally speaking if you are new to the whole thing, ease in with purely grappling style to see if you like the general idea of being aggressive and fighting to control someone.

I would recommend Judo or Wrestling if you are on a budget, BJJ if you have some coins to throw around. And take it from there.

Try shojin judo, is this close to you ?
    http://shojinjudo.com/index.php

Here is a good directory:
    http://www.judoinfo.com/contacts/bro...nited%20States

Call everyone you think of joining, ask if you can try out a class or two. See the atmosphere, skill of trainers and ask about pricing if its not already on the website.

Style
    BJJ, MT, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, after doing some more searching it seems that martial arts unlimited place has been decently reviewed here and I saw some youtube videos of sparring and it looks like full contact (even with the weapons). I think I will check that place out tomorrow as it seems I could find what I'm looking for there. I likely won't start out with the MMA stuff but who knows lol. Thanks for all the advice guys.

Style
    MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good luck, have fun.

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dont know man, id forget the sword stuff unless you just wanted to learn it for fun. As far as self defense and losing weight are concered. id go for the MT. you burn a **** load of calories doing MT and its great for self defense and probably your confidence as well. BJJ would be great as well. in both arts youll quickly see your improvement as its "live" training against other people and i think esp. with bjj once you master some moves and pull them off while rolling youll know youre making progress. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last