-ED

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 7:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    You know how you got your arm wrecked, by chance? I'm pretty new at judo and I'd like to watch out for my fellow judo noobs destroying my joints during randori, or vice versa. I can't really imagine how a harai could mess up your arm in standardgrip, so I imagine that you must have been pretty throughly entangled or something.
    If I recall the evening right...we had been doing leaping rolls over other student and I landed on my right shoulder very hard...probably starting the injury on its way.

Watch this GIF animation : http://judoinfo.com/images/animation...haraigoshi.htm

Now watch for the last frame of that and imagine the timid tori attempting to save me from the fall (please..nooo!) and giving that caught arm a good tug. Snap.

My best advice: when taking a hard shock to any limb...call it a night. Keep training and you might get a training-ending injury.

-ED

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 2:16am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    D: at the thought of getting my arm wrenched like that, :D for the help, though

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 12:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    D: at the thought of getting my arm wrenched like that, :D for the help, though
    Ends on a happy note though, a year of martial qigong did more to heal this injury than ten years of not training and going light and easy on my shoulder. I kind of wish instead of dropping training altogether I had instead kept at something, anything, a bit less physical than full contact Judo.

Looking back I could have kept active with taiji or bagua and eventually progressed back into contact. Hung ga kuen training is definitely at the top of the list of physically demanding training I have seen/done but what makes it even better is the balance of healing techniques thrown in, from meditation to medicines all rooted in TCM. Its easy for some of the fresh students to completely miss how the art balances fierce combat techniques with injury prevention and mitigation....very few arts seem to have both sides of the equation like this.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have years of experience with choy li fut, which is fairly close to hung gar as far as I can tell, and I've done a little judo after I stopped. There's things in judo that just aren't in kung fu for the most part, like the reaping dynamic. The throws I was familiar with are ones where you plant your feet in a stance and drag their upper body over your hips. Judo uses some dynamics that are "bad kung fu"; by this I mean that good judo technique will often be the opposite of how a kung fu form operates. For example, in a certain throw, you may put your feet together and stick your hip out, compared to kung fu where generally you keep your back straight and feet wide apart.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 6:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I have years of experience with choy li fut, which is fairly close to hung gar as far as I can tell, and I've done a little judo after I stopped. There's things in judo that just aren't in kung fu for the most part, like the reaping dynamic. The throws I was familiar with are ones where you plant your feet in a stance and drag their upper body over your hips. Judo uses some dynamics that are "bad kung fu"; by this I mean that good judo technique will often be the opposite of how a kung fu form operates. For example, in a certain throw, you may put your feet together and stick your hip out, compared to kung fu where generally you keep your back straight and feet wide apart.
    From what I know of them both Hung and Choy Li Fut are both shaolin/animal derived, Hung is of course Hung family and Choy is largely Choy family combined with some other southern family and northern techniques. When I researched this it seemed these two styles in particular (Hung, Choy Li Fut) were two of the most popular, respected, and least denounced (heh!) gong fu systems. They both seem to have a LARGE following especially outside China, I took that to be a good sign!

As far as keeping your feet together I have to say I stopped doing that a long time ago after being swept too many times. I am tall with long legs so Hung is a great style for my body type, but if I put my feet together any opponent is going to see a great opportunity to send me to the floor. Hung lets me spread that vulnerability out but even better I noticed I can drop stances faster and wider, in judo this would have been such a great advantage.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 6:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Ming!

Thanks for letting me know about the PM thing; I iz noob an sux at wbsight. If anyone wants to get in touch, let me know and I'll post my aol email, I don't care too much if that one gets spammed.

I completely agree about CMA (whether of northern or southern variety) not being much good for learning the language; I think the Japanese arts tend to be better suited for that, for a variety of reasons (possibly a whole other discussion). I was just ranting because the subject is near and dear to my heart, as you know, and because earlier that day I had to deal with several insane examples of people (including those who should know better) making ridiculous **** up based on not knowing the most basic facts of how Chinese language and romanization work. One example that comes up all the time: people thinking that the "ji" in "tai ji" is actually pronounced "qi" and is the same character/word as "qi" in "qi gong", and then proceeding to develop all sorts of whacky theories from there. Ahem.

Ming and I have all sorts of crazy lion dance stories, of what was always a crazy day/week/month/gig. I was always glad when he was on my team, because he's reliable, strong, has good instincts and basic common sense, and a sense of rhythm (pretty important). Folks, this right here is what to me is a sign of a healthy TMA: Ming and I disagree on some things, and/or just take a different approach, including in training and teaching others, and he's chosen to pursue in greater detail some areas that I haven't, and vice versa. And you know what, its perfectly fine, because we were always taught from the beginning by our Sifu that everyone's going to have their own take on the material, and that you have to experiment and find the way to make it work for you. He never tried to make us carbon copies of him, either in terms of how we moved/fought, or what aspects of training we pursued; he always tried to help us develop in whatever way was best for ourselves as individuals, and he taughts us to teach that way as well. I have a story about that that I may post at some point.

Earth Dragon, so glad to here that you're experiencing relief from your injuries and able to train more/better/again. I think this aspect of CMA is hugely overlooked, and its of particular interest to me because my profession is TCM.

Ming again, would love to catch up, been meaning to email you, something I'm notoriously bad at; is there ever a good time to call you? I know you've got a lot going on these days. Training is going really well, been giving a little more focus to music than martial arts the last couple of weeks, but its still happening in abundance. Make no mistake, if we meet in the promotionals, or any other tournament for that matter, I'm taking no chances, I'm going straight for the flying omoplata! Also, we need to talk, I might have some pretty good news related to this site for you. I'll email you in a day or two if we don't catch up before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    hey dude! sometimes i forget you're lurking around here... pen and i trained together a lot under the same sifu, were often under the same lion during lion dance, and when our sifu went off to travel and test himself, he helped me a lot with my training. i'm glad he's here to temper some of what i said!

we need to catch up, i'd like to hear how your judo/bjj is coming along, and i hope we're not in the same weight class at the promotional tournaments!

you know *way* more about mandarin, cantonese and hanzi than i ever will know, so i'm glad you weighed in on this. i guess my point was that CMA training is not really the most direct way to learn about the chinese language. the best way is to, you know, find a teacher and study the chinese language (didn't work so well for me, but **** happens.)

oh and by the way, you will both have to post more to enable the PM feature (i think it's 50 posts)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12