230728 Bullies, 4216 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 491 to 500 of 500
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. BaboonKing is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 6:53am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, the fastest way from point a to point b is straight. cork screw punches incorporate excess motion in that regard. but I also said that a real punch is thrown with the weight of the body, making the energy loss in this case insignificant.
  2. nifoc is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    527

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:11am


     Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaboonKing View Post
    well, the fastest way from point a to point b is straight. cork screw punches incorporate excess motion in that regard. but I also said that a real punch is thrown with the weight of the body, making the energy loss in this case insignificant.
    The distance a punch has to travel does not directly impact its power, since the force is not applied like it would be in, say, throwing a rock. Most of the force is applied at the start of the punch, but the rotation of the body will continue to push the hand forward. I don't agree with the conclusion that distance the hand will have to travel will make any difference between these punches, simply because we are talking about a more complex movement than simple inertia. Had inertia been the only factor then you would have been correct, but I don't see inertia having any observable difference on a punch.
  3. BaboonKing is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:26am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    honestly, just try it yourself.

    some are taught to rotate after contact, others rotate midway through the punch. You may not realize it, but the spiral like motion creates a drag that inevitably decreases speed.


    regardless, my stance on this remains that there is a time and place for each. but with my background im pre-disposed to the corkscrew
  4. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:33am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaboonKing View Post
    some are taught to rotate after contact
    That's just stupid.
    others rotate midway through the punch.
    This kind of sounds like you're talking about twisting tour fist at some discrete point in the punch, but I'm going to assume you mean allowing it to turn over naturally as the punch progresses.
    You may not realize it, but the spiral like motion creates a drag that inevitably decreases speed.
    That's just stupid for two reasons. 1) it won't change the speed. 2)Speed isn't as important as getting your weight behind it.
  5. dwkfym is offline
    dwkfym's Avatar

    Yours truly

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,017

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:41am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I once took a corckscrew pumch to my solar plexus and it paralysed my body. He threw up a follow up shot and it looked like it was in slow motion, but I couldn't do anything about it. I fear the corkscrew punch now.
  6. BaboonKing is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 7:50am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    That's just stupid.

    This kind of sounds like you're talking about twisting tour fist at some discrete point in the punch, but I'm going to assume you mean allowing it to turn over naturally as the punch progresses.

    That's just stupid for two reasons. 1) it won't change the speed. 2)Speed isn't as important as getting your weight behind it.

    i've said countless times before that the loss in speed is insignificant since a real punch has weight behind it. read the thread man
  7. nifoc is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    527

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 8:04am


     Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaboonKing View Post
    honestly, just try it yourself.

    some are taught to rotate after contact, others rotate midway through the punch. You may not realize it, but the spiral like motion creates a drag that inevitably decreases speed.
    What drag? From what? Are you claiming that the muscles in your forearm are working against you, or are you talking about air-resistance?

    No....I did try it...I don't feel any resistance.


    regardless, my stance on this remains that there is a time and place for each. but with my background im pre-disposed to the corkscrew
    Your stance can really be anything, but if you claim something at least back it up with something more substantial than "it feels right".

    I think you are confusing the fact that a rotating punch takes slightly longer BECAUSE IT USES A FULL BODY MOVEMENT, with some form of pseudo-understanding of physiology. The actual speed at which the fist travels is not impeded in a rotating punch compared to a vertical punch, unless there is some part of the human body that I am forgetting. If so, please enlighten me.
  8. Hesperus is offline
    Hesperus's Avatar

    it's all vanity

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Great Plains
    Posts
    3,045

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 8:30am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And enlighten the generations of boxers that you obviously have beat on punching knowledge.
  9. dwkfym is offline
    dwkfym's Avatar

    Yours truly

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,017

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 11:10am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, aside from my joke
    he might feel that "corkscrew" motion feels good if his normal, non "corkscrew" punching form was bad, because the rotation can make his punching form fall into place as he turns his hand down, shoulders up and arm straighter.

    Corkscrew motions otherwise are retarded. This his logic
    "when I do the corkscrew motion, it feels more right"
    It is based on his real life experience, from the sensory input from when he punches the bag with the corkscrew motion.

    Okay, I submit that when I do the corkscrew punch, I feel absolutely no difference at all. This is based on my real life experienced, from the sensory input from when I tried the corkscrew motion.

    How to reconcile the two? Well, I already mentioned it.
  10. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077

    Posted On:
    7/02/2010 11:22am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaboonKing View Post
    i've said countless times before that the loss in speed is insignificant since a real punch has weight behind it.
    Then why are you talking about drag?

    read the thread man
    I have read the thread. It's about some anorexic emo's OKCupid account. Why are you even bringing up the subject of "corkscrew" punches?
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 404647484950

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.