Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: Kung Fu in MMA?

  1. #11
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Once upon a time Mixing or mIxed Martial arts was used to denote mixing different styles like Bruce Lee minus grappling in most cases.

    It became few and far between when, the "jack of all trades master of none" phrase reared its ugly head. When MMA became huge suddenly, all of these TMAers decided that they coined the phrase and they could use it again. IMO, unless you are in you mid to late forties or beyond, you are FoS if you use MMA in this manner.

    Even this category is suspect in most cases IMO.
    Back in the '70s and '80s JKD-like multi-style systems were referred to as eclectic styles. Of course, back in 1899 E.W. Barton-Wright was doing the same thing with Bartitsu.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    302
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bartitsu? Is that the Sherlock Holmes MA?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Pori, Finland
    Posts
    351
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    Confucious say: The way to help is to hurt.
    Gene LeBell say: When in doubt, choke them out.

  4. #14
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,443
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Back in the '70s and '80s JKD-like multi-style systems were referred to as eclectic styles. Of course, back in 1899 E.W. Barton-Wright was doing the same thing with Bartitsu.
    Yeah I know. They were also advertised as Mixed or Mixing Martial Arts. I did not say all. There is a specific group I believe. Many that argue they did it too are not anywhere near my age group.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    14
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    Bartitsu? Is that the Sherlock Holmes MA?
    No, Bartitsu is the ancient italian art of preparing a perfect espresso.

  6. #16
    maofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,971
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So if I get a black belt in Judo and teach it side by side with Karate can I call it TMMA?

  7. #17
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RealManOfSteel View Post
    Bartitsu? Is that the Sherlock Holmes MA?
    More or less. Doyle wrote that Holmes defeated Professor Moriarty with "baritsu", which is generally assumed to have been a typo for Bartitsu.

  8. #18
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yeah I know. They were also advertised as Mixed or Mixing Martial Arts. I did not say all. There is a specific group I believe. Many that argue they did it too are not anywhere near my age group.
    I wasn't offering a "correction", just additional info. for those who weren't around back in the day.

  9. #19
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,443
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I wasn't offering a "correction", just additional info. for those who weren't around back in the day.
    Yeah, I realzied it after I typed. I was going top correct but, I need to take the admonishment for reading it incorrectly.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO