Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 12:08am

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Soon to Start BJJ and Kickboxing at an MMA Gym Next Week. Advice on What to Expect?

Hello once again.

A couple weeks ago I started a thread about how I was wondering if I should get back into TKD, as it was soon to be offered at my judo club on days when there was no judo. I haven' heard jack about it for quite some time, and when the tkd classes were brought up, it seemed like nobody could give me any hard details.

Well, now that I have more income and time to spend training more, I figured what the hell, screw the tkd and will be signing up for bjj and kickboxing classes at a nearby mma gym this upcoming Wednesday.

I checked the place out with a friend a few weeks ago, and it seemed like a really good school; they did well in competitions, instructors who looked like they knew their stuff, trained alive (of course), and most of all I had a blast!

Their website is here and I am really excited to start training there.

So here is a question to those who train mma/bjj/kickboxing or boxing:

What can I expect to learn training-wise during my first few weeks? Is there anything I can do beforehand that could help with me understanding the basics a little better than most who go in without any preparation?

I know that some of my tkd will help, though it will be minimal, and that my judo will be similar to the bjj classes in some regards, so I am not too worried that I will be a total spaz pissing off the instructors and seasoned students. I just want to make a good impression.

Also, they offer what they call, "Fight Fit Conditioning" as well, and am greatly considering joining that to help improve my cardio, muscular strength/endurance, and lose some weight.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 2:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want general advice, post in the general forum. The technique fora are for threads asking questions about specific techniques.

To answer part of your question, attend class with the intent to learn rather than trying to win against your sparring partner, and you will do better than most noobs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 3:26am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're a a typical TKD-er, hands up, chin down. Please don't do that hands at the side stance. I die a bit every time I see a TKD-er with that stance.

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 4:12am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pain.

But seriously, expect most people to help you out, and not going ballasitic on you :)

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 10:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    If you want general advice, post in the general forum. The technique fora are for threads asking questions about specific techniques.
    My mistake. I will remember this from now on.

To answer part of your question, attend class with the intent to learn rather than trying to win against your sparring partner, and you will do better than most noobs.

Right. I will make sure to do my best to learn and not try to be all macho and feel like I have to prove anything.

Thanks.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 11:05am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    expect to be worse before you get better. your judo and tkd wil work better than the bjj and mt on your first day. this is not because you have more knowledge but because you are more cormfortable. Dont fall into the trap of trying to use them or convert their techniques. learn their stuff their way.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 11:08am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What can I expect to learn training-wise during my first few weeks? Is there anything I can do beforehand that could help with me understanding the basics a little better than most who go in without any preparation?
    The instructor at the school you mentioned has a really solid record, looks good in his fights. Definitely a good choice.
    Now about your question, depending on the teaching style of the school you may find yourself in an Introductory class for the first few weeks where you will learn things like Shrimping and how to Upa and learn about mat etiquette as well as doing a lot of movement drills. You'll probably also learn 2-3 basic escapes in an intro class. After that when you move to the regular class you'll actually have some stuff you can use while you are rolling instead of just being confused and helpless.
    The other side of the spectrum is that you'll just get thrown into the regular class right away, you'll be taught whatever technique the class is working on at the time and then thrown to the wolves.

If you want some advice for what to learn before you go to class it would be this: Learn to shrimp and practice it a bunch. Learn to Upa and practice it a bunch. Make sure you are familiar with all of the basic jits position names so that you don't have to slow down in class to figure out where to go.

For the striking stuff.... hands up, chin down. Not much else I can offer you on that.

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 11:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    expect to be worse before you get better. your judo and tkd wil work better than the bjj and mt on your first day. this is not because you have more knowledge but because you are more cormfortable. Dont fall into the trap of trying to use them or convert their techniques. learn their stuff their way.
    I will definitely listen to this and try not to treat the bjj like my judo class, or treat the kickboxing class (not muay thai, just kick boxing but leg kicks afaik) like a tkd lesson. I will make sure to start fresh and not try to reverse engineer any tkd stuff while still being a kickboxing noob. That will be for later ;).

Bill Cosby

Greek proverb

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 11:26am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For BJJ:

1) Don't try to throw the other person around. Move yourself.

2) You learn more when you tap to get out of a submission than when you spaz to get out of a submission.

For Stand Up:

1) A lot of your defense is not being there to be hit. Footwork is your best friend. Move yourself.

2) You learn more when you get hit with a solid shot than when you spaz and slap box to try to defend against that shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 7:59pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To Skippy and Kin, things like shrimping and the like are very basic. The way they do it though is probably extremely advanced.

I still sweat like a mofo even after a year of training in BJJ and a background in boxing. Warm-up, drilling, and rolling. My GI is soaked in sweat. Get ready to work hard.
    Last edited by shotfghter; 6/12/2010 8:19pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast