--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

WEC: VARNER vs. SHALORUS - June 20, 2010

WEC: VARNER vs. SHALORUS
    June 20, 2010

Rexall Place
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Event Type: Versus - Live Event

World Extreme Cagefighting® heads to Canada for the first time with a loaded card. Former lightweight world champion Jamie Varner begins his quest back to WEC gold when he takes on the heavy-handed Kamal Shalorus in the main event, while rising featherweight Josh Grispi battles LC Davis in a fight that will push the winner one step closer to a world title shot. If those two fights weren’t enough to get MMA fans’ juices flowing, London, Ontario’s Chris Horodecki takes on Taekwondo expert Ed Ratcliff and standup ace Mark Hominick of Thamesford, Ontario, battles Montreal’s Yves Jabouin in a long-awaited featherweight bout. World Extreme Cagefighting at Rexall Place in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, on Sunday, June 20th

World Extreme Cagefighting® will be televised nationally live on VERSUS beginning at 9:00 p.m. ET/6:00 p.m. PT. All of the network’s live WEC events are presented in HD and Spanish language SAP where available. For more information and how to find VERSUS in your local viewing area, visit http://www.versus.com/findversus.

Fight Card:

Jamie Varner Vs. Kamal Shalorus
    Mark Hominick Vs. Yves Jabouin
    Josh Grispi Vs. LC Davis
    Chris Horodecki Vs. Dan Downes
    Eddie Wineland Vs. Will Campuzano
    Karen Darabedyan Vs. Will Kerr
    Wagnney Fabiano Vs. Frank Gomez
    Erik Koch Vs. Bendy Casimir
    Raphael Assuncao Vs. Diego Nunes
    Rafael Rebello Vs. Chris Cariaso
    Renan Barao Vs. Anthony Leone

Picks?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:43pm

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't know enough of some of the guys to make picks, but I'm excited for the Shalorus fight. I hope Varner shoots just so we can see more of the Prince of Persia's seemingly magical takedown defense.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxd View Post
    Don't know enough of some of the guys to make picks, but I'm excited for the Shalorus fight. I hope Varner shoots just so we can see more of the Prince of Persia's seemingly magical takedown defense.
    I know his jits trainer and guys who've rolled with him. The dude is a fucking racehorse stud. Shalorus by KTFO!

Posted On:
    6/18/2010 4:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Opponent change for Horodecki

Horodecki passionate about fighting

London, Ont., fighter will hit the octagon on Sunday in Edmonton

Chris Horodecki couldn’t get enough martial arts growing up.

The London, Ont., native was passionate about all sorts of combat.

“I was the karate kid growing up,” he said. “I loved it. I loved watching Bruce Lee movies. I wore my Bruce Lee tapes out I watched them so much.”

Passion eventually turned to profession for Horodecki, who now fights for a living.

The 22-year-old lightweight is taking part in the World Extreme Cagefighting event Sunday at Rexall Place.

“I started out kickboxing when I was 13,” he said. “I’ve been involved in martial arts my whole life, but I’ve kind of transitioned from the traditional martial arts to kickboxing and wrestling. I’ve kind of put it all together and one thing led to another. The competition has increased, and here I am today.”

Having turned professional at 17, Horodecki has 15 fights under his belt, having won all but two of them.

He was originally scheduled to take on Ed Ratcliff of Chicago in one of the bouts of the main card on Sunday, but will now go up against Dan Downes of Milwaukee instead.

Ratcliff pulled out of the event last week and a new opponent was hastily acquired for Horodecki.

“I feel fortunate to be fighting,” Horodecki said. “It’s tough when your opponent pulls out four or five days before the fight. Sometimes it’s tough to find someone to step up, but it’s great that I got a fight, with an opponent with a similar style, so it’s not that bad.”

Having prepared to take on Ratcliff, Horodecki will have to make some adjustments with a new opponent stepping into the ring.

“We find out about these guys two months in advance, so we know who we’re fighting and what we’re getting into,” he said.

“There are no secrets between opponents. It’s unfortunate he was unable to fight, but the fighter they replaced him with is very similar so I’m very fortunate.”

Adapting to change is part of the game. It’s something Horodecki has been doing throughout his career.

An all-around fighter, he’s had to evolve with every bout he takes part in.

“I started in traditional martial arts, then when I was 13, I took up kickboxing,” he said. “Then I did some traditional boxing. I also wrestled in high school and I wrestled on my university team.

“One thing led to another adding different types of martial arts.

“I like to fight on my feet, but I can hit the mat, can wrestle. But my strong point is my standup game, my feet, my knees. I prefer standing up by if I have to go to the mat I can.”

The one thing that hasn’t changed is the passion Horodecki still has for his craft.

Turning professional seemed like a natural avenue to pursue.

“It’s not only still a passion, but now it’s my job and occupation,” he said.

“I also have fighters that I train. This is my job, we’re not just street thugs, that’s how we make a living.”

It’s a living that has taken him to different parts of the globe. Horodecki has been in Alberta before, but it’s his first trip to Edmonton.

“I fought all over the world, I’ve fought all over the States, I’ve been to Japan, I’ve been all over,” he said.

“I’m happy to be getting a little more exposure in Canada now. A lot more of the fans know me, we do get a lot of coverage when we fight, which is nice.”
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/sports/ot.../14433906.html
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 10:06am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kamal has been working hard on his muay thai. He puts absolutely everything he has into his punches, I hope his hand holds up he broke it in his last fight.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinHarry View Post
    Kamal has been working hard on his muay thai. He puts absolutely everything he has into his punches, I hope his hand holds up he broke it in his last fight.
    I hope Varner's face holds up long enough to make it a fight and not an ass kicking.:XXking:

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 1:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Spoiler alert!

Dang, a draw between Kamal and Verner. Looks like Kamal would have won if it wasn't for the one point deduction for the nut shot. http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=83148

PS, how do spoiler code?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 11:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough fight to score, I watched it with a training buddy and we both expected Varner to get the decision due to the foul. Kamal was the aggressor all night but for big stretches I'd argue it wasn't effective aggression, Varner did a good job picking his spots for sharp counters. Kamal was really wearing him down though, those leg kicks were brutal (I wonder if Kamal hurt his right foot at some point I saw it hit Varner's shin on one kick) and he was starting to catch him with big punches too. Varner was obviously just trying to survive by the end of the fight and who could blame him.

Looked like Kamal could have taken a clear decision if he worked his gnp more. LOL that guy loves to bang though, he is a true warrior. I hope they rematch, pretty entertaining fight. I think Kamal takes it convincingly if he comes in with a different gameplan.

Jabouin-Hominick was a great fight. Really nice striking skills and toughness from both guys. That left hook to the liver is under-utilized in mma.

Weird card, most of those guys looked like they were about 12.
    Last edited by AustinHarry; 6/22/2010 11:06am at . Reason: misspelled name

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2010 7:41pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Dang, a draw between Kamal and Verner. Looks like Kamal would have won if it wasn't for the one point deduction for the nut shot. http://www.wec.tv/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=83148

PS, how do spoiler code?
    Spoiler code is like this

[/spoiler]
    [spoiler]

except the one with the slash goes afterwards

Spoiler:
    SPOILERLAWLZ

Nobody seems to use them anymore though. Sort of a reader beware thing.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    6/23/2010 12:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinHarry View Post
    Looked like Kamal could have taken a clear decision if he worked his gnp more. LOL that guy loves to bang though, he is a true warrior. I hope they rematch, pretty entertaining fight. I think Kamal takes it convincingly if he comes in with a different gameplan.

Jabouin-Hominick was a great fight. Really nice striking skills and toughness from both guys. That left hook to the liver is under-utilized in mma.
    Yeah, not sure why Kamal didn't try to take it to the ground. That is where he is most effective, IMHO. He's got brutal gnp and excellent submission defense. Not only was he an Olympic wrestler, but he trains GJJ at Relson Gracie in Austin with Phil Cardella.

The Jabouin-Hominick fight was crazy. One of the most back and forth fights in so short a time frame that I've ever seen. That sweep Hominick landed at the the end to take mount was slick.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.