223500 Bullies, 3702 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 80
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    6/17/2010 12:41pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't read some ancient text on how to box to develop punching power, this is just going to fill your head with a bunch of dated ideas that you won't have the experience to properly process and turn into something useful. If you're truly concerned about developing punching power, get to a boxing gym. Strengthening your arms/wrists/knuckles is more than likely going to counter productive at this stage since you clearly don't know how to generate power technically and will rely on physical ability.

    I guarantee your punching power will increase enormously when you have consistent, proper instruction on the technique of punching. There is a hell of a lot more than people realize that goes into creating a good punch. The drop step is really only the tip of the ice burg and at this point you need to learn how to move your arm/shoulder/hip correctly before you should even think about stepping into your punch.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  2. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    6/17/2010 12:47pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, what I mentioned is really just how to throw a hard punch, which is really only a small portion of being effective with your punches. Developing footwork and movement so you can open up the angles to create the openings for big shots is how you're really going to hurt people with your punches, NOT having big arms or even throwing a killer overhand right.

    The punch that knocks you out is the one you don't see coming. If you're hung up on the simple matter of "hitting hard" you will never maximize the effectiveness of your hands.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  3. HereBeADragon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151

    Posted On:
    6/17/2010 12:53pm


     Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When it comes to hitting hard there are a lot of factors that you need to be aware of. First off you need to be aware of the mechanics of a punch. When you strike it begins at the feet and ends at the fist. If you want that strike to be hard than you cannot be leaking power from other areas, when I say power I mean as in terms of kinetic energy not any chi stuff. Drive off your feet, usually the rear foot in your stance will be the most important. Twist at the hips throwing the hip into the punch. From there pack the shoulder make a stable fist and strike thru the target. If your hitting a bag than your target is the other side of it. If your hitting a person say in the face your target is about 6 inches past the back of his head.

    As to conditiong for hitting hard a lot of it comes down to developing strong legs and good rotational power. Strong arms are of use too but not nearly as much as the legs or waist. A good basic conditioning method you can try is sandbag throwing. Start out with a 30-50lbs bag of sand. The goal being to clean it and throw it. Two ways you can try throwing it would be either like passing a basket ball (projecting in out directly in front of you from the chest) or like a shot put (one armed throw). Hope that helps good luck.
  4. Scrapper is offline
    Scrapper's Avatar

    Fear and bullets.

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Dayville, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    4,286

    Posted On:
    6/17/2010 12:57pm

    staff
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Don't read some ancient text on how to box to develop punching power, this is just going to fill your head with a bunch of dated ideas that you won't have the experience to properly process and turn into something useful. If you're truly concerned about developing punching power, get to a boxing gym. Strengthening your arms/wrists/knuckles is more than likely going to counter productive at this stage since you clearly don't know how to generate power technically and will rely on physical ability.

    I guarantee your punching power will increase enormously when you have consistent, proper instruction on the technique of punching. There is a hell of a lot more than people realize that goes into creating a good punch. The drop step is really only the tip of the ice burg and at this point you need to learn how to move your arm/shoulder/hip correctly before you should even think about stepping into your punch.

    While I completely agree with paragraph 2, I am puzzled by paragraph 1.

    I think researching the techniques of proven successful power punchers with demonstrable results within said arena is a great place to START when you haven't a damn clue what you are talking about.

    If I know NOTHING about something the first thing I do is RESEARCH it. Dempsey is a great place to start your power punching research. A medium-sized guy hitting like a big guy, consistently, on film, professionally, under alive conditions, etc., is compelling evidence of his particular technique's success. I might disagree with jack on something, but I don't have the professional chops to do so credibly. A professional trainer might (I know that you now are one, Kid...) have more to say on the matter than I could. I boxed fairly successfully as a teenager using Jack's methods, and I think it is a great place for the beginner to start.

    The OP can now read about power punching, and thus go to a boxing trainer better educated.

    Besides, Tallhoeffer is ANCIENT. Jack is just well-seasoned.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

    --Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
  5. Torakaka is offline
    Torakaka's Avatar

    Do you eat breakfast?

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,658

    Posted On:
    6/17/2010 9:41pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I am in fact now a boxing trainer/muaythai coach making me goddess of striking! :P

    My opinion on things like fighters manuals on how to box or what have you is that with out proper guidance and an already somewhat solid foundation of knowledge there is just too much margin for error. He's not going to have the knowledge basis to filter all the great info from the things that aren't exactly accurate and those that are just flat out nonsense, and the chance of misinterpreting the useful info is pretty damn high. Books can be a great supplement with proper guidance, but with out... well hell, maybe it's better to wing it with a Jack Dempsey book then continue relying on TKD.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
  6. baby_cart is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    367

    Posted On:
    6/18/2010 9:24am


     Style: ex-BJJ, ex-TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    errr.. why the hell is this now in YMAS?

    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula View Post
    Yes I am in fact now a boxing trainer/muaythai coach making me goddess of striking! :P

    My opinion on things like fighters manuals on how to box or what have you is that with out proper guidance and an already somewhat solid foundation of knowledge there is just too much margin for error. He's not going to have the knowledge basis to filter all the great info from the things that aren't exactly accurate and those that are just flat out nonsense, and the chance of misinterpreting the useful info is pretty damn high. Books can be a great supplement with proper guidance, but with out... well hell, maybe it's better to wing it with a Jack Dempsey book then continue relying on TKD.
    well said, very well said, oh goddess!:bowdown:

    and besides, feedback will be lacking much. all those little errors you make at the beginning of such learning endeavors will become big ones once it's ingrained.
  7. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    6/18/2010 11:05am

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alucard619, you are already learning a very effective striking art . You should not to supplement your striking with arts that conflict with what you know and what you have found to work in real life.

    Learning boxing or kickboxing will set your striking skills back by YEARS .

    Don't give up on your TKD just because you couldn't punch properly under a light contact rule set . With enough practice you will find it is much more practical and useful than boxing or any other lame sport .

    This is, of course, is all based on the comments you have made here on Bullshido. Your punching and kicking will never actually improve until you learn a few things in life, like the difference between reality and fantasy .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  8. HereBeADragon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151

    Posted On:
    6/18/2010 12:11pm


     Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post

    This is, of course, is all based on the comments you have made here on Bullshido. Your punching and kicking will never actually improve until you learn a few things in life, like the difference between reality and fantasy .
    Thats better I thought I stepped into the twilight zone for a second.
  9. Alucard619 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    463

    Posted On:
    6/18/2010 12:22pm


     Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I gave the wrong impression.

    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey
    Alucard619, you are already learning a very effective striking art . You should not to supplement your striking with arts that conflict with what you know and what you have found to work in real life.
    Boxing would conflict with my TKD? How so?

    Learning boxing or kickboxing will set your striking skills back by YEARS .
    Really? Granted technique wise there will no doubt be differences but how would it set me back?

    Don't give up on your TKD just because you couldn't punch properly under a light contact rule set . With enough practice you will find it is much more practical and useful than boxing or any other lame sport .
    No no, this wasn't about my not punching correctly. I was just curious about ways I can make my punches stronger. During my classes (particularly the one I referred to in my post) we develop punching just as much as kicking and other strikes. When I spar, I frequently use punches aside from kicking. It's just that I wanted to know what sort of training there is that can give you stronger punches to use for real life or to spar.

    And for sake of discussion: Even if I COULDN'T punch properly under sparring rule set, it'd take much more then that before I think about giving up in TKD.

    This is, of course, is all based on the comments you have made here on Bullshido. Your punching and kicking will never actually improve until you learn a few things in life, like the difference between reality and fantasy .
    This is true.
  10. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    6/18/2010 12:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taking a real full contact striking art would help immensely you fucking retard .















    also:

    Boxing footwork and methodology not compatible with a TKD Badass such as yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.