Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 9:37am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My LARPING knows no bounds

Ok, for those of you who know anything about UK gun laws you'll be aware that I live in a country which has a "nanny state" government and banned the ownership use of firearms years ago (aside from black powder weapons) I used to belong to a gun club and enjoyed shooting SLP on a fairly regular basis, over and above the skill at arms involvement within the forces. That sadly changed when this countries fuckstick politicians chose to penalise the honest gun enthusiast by banning anything remotely interesting (to me anyway) worth firing.

I've been without private ownership of a firearm since then and always missed the opportunity of talking **** down the club with other members and having a pint after a good shoot.. Until now !!!

Early in the new year a friend introduced me to the concept of airsoft. Now, before you roll your eyes and decry "FUCKING LARPER" at the top of your voices, let me add that I'm not into running about a local wood in full cammo shooting other airsofters and taking it or myself too seriously, no, actually quite the opposite.

After a considerable amount of research I decided that I wanted both a self loading pistol and a reliable gas operated rifle which accurately (or as near damn-it) replicated the operational functionality of a real weapon. I looked at the Systema line of M4A1 variants and found them to be as real as you could buy without it actually firing 5.56mm however, the cost implication was fucking staggering, likewise Inokatsu manufacture an M4 which on appearance , weight and mechanical functionality would easily fool even experienced operators (until it fired obviously) but again the cost of such units including the ancils I wanted put the weapon well over the budget I had available.

Eventually I found a brand (G&P) who manufactured a fully upgraded M4 variant using a real VLTOR body and other mechanics within my budget; so I bought one !

Here in the UK these are considered under law as RiF's - Realistic Imitation Firearms and one can own and use them under certain conditions, the primary one is that you have to belong to an airsoft site (I won't bore you with the finer bullshit) but this lead me to a site in my home town and eventually into teaching their club members some basic tactics and skills which has all but paid for the outlay of the rifle, pistol and other kit.

www.tactical-training-solutions.net

The rifle fires at 450fps which is pretty good for this type of replica, because it's an all metal construction (aside from the expected ABS parts) its about the weight of a real M4, the magazines are midcap carrying around 150 BB's and are weighted to feel like a fully charged 30 round 5.56mm mag would so, all up you have a realistic feel.

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 9:56am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus I didn't know there were parameters required for buying Airsoft apart from age limit. I remember buying all sorts when I was 16, spring loaded mind as the gas was too expensive but even then you didn't need anything more to purchase a bigger 'gun' apart from the cash.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 10:02am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it looks real you have to be a member of a club (airsoft, re-enactment, stage, etc). You could buy exactly the same rifle coloured florescent yellow and you'd get round the law.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 12:03pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Indeed the bright colour option is there but would you want to two tone a rifle ?

Strictly speaking you don't need to be a member of a club or group, just be able to show a defence under the law for ownership, which is.. that you're a regular "skirmisher". A retailer could, if so inclined, make contact with the club/site at which you skirmish (although not a member) and providing they were prepared to vouch for your identity and participation, you can legally be sold RIF's. The issue of selling these weapons is the reason why UKARA was set up.

The laws governing these weapons are a freaking joke really and it isn't policed just like many half baked knee-jerk laws which exist !

~Ella Wheeler

is badder than you

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's the accuracy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

I decided I'd have a pretty avatar for a while.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 5:05pm

Style: Student Jutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we get a Dave a LARPer tag?
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 6:00pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    How's the accuracy?
    It's pretty good for what is essentially a replica.

Straight out the box it was shooting 450fps but I've added a RATech negative pressure adjustable bolt and it's now shooting 550. This in its self assists in the accuracy although, granted not by much.

I zeroed the rifle and scope a few days ago and it seems pretty constant.

****.. I think I'm turning into Ralph Severe.

Bayonet drills anyone ???

~Ella Wheeler

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can legally do blackpowder weapons in the UK? Well holy ****, that's not so bad from a hobbyist standpoint. How about some cowboy action competitions?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 2:22am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep, but screw that you can get licences for cannons!
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    5/19/2010 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what would be badass? To start freaking Redcoat Fury competitions in the UK. Everyone has to dress up as a redcoat and fire a freaking musket at a variety of targets at various ranges, including steel, IPSC targets, and no-shoots. As long as you don't break the 180 rule you are allowed to run up and bayonet the IPSC targets as well.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast