Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:53pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kubotans!

I'm interested in buying one of these little dudes, since I'm not really into the whole "a man's body IS the ultimate weapon" mantra preached by all the so-called martial artists in my region. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has ever used the kubotan in an actual confrontation, or at least has some training with them (in FMA or any other MA). Just don't post any legal nonsense. Where I live, the cops don't know squat about 'em.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 3:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are better off with a mini-mag light. Don't be too sure you are so much smarter than the cops, EVERY crook thinks that, right before they get busted.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

BJJ Black Belt

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Rex Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pocket sticks are silly toys.

Learn to fight with your hands, clubs(aka BIG sticks), knives, and firearms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 4:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, trained with them (FMA). No, haven't used it for real.

My advice is glaringly obvious but overlooked by a lot of people...make sure you know what you're doing with it if you're going to get one. I've seen a few people try to use these who have had no training with it and kind of just assume they will know what to to and just bash people with it. They often end up only focusing on this one weapon in their hand and forget about everything else which is a recipe for disaster.

So yeah, in my opinion they're useful but you need to take some training in using it. The training in how to use it will be infinitely more useful than the stick itself.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point is, you will need the flashlight MUCH sooner than you will need a pocket stick.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 6:48pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    My point is, you will need the flashlight MUCH sooner than you will need a pocket stick.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is true. And you can still use the minimaglite as a kubotan in the unlikely event you need it as a "weapon."

So that's two votes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 6:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post
    You are better off with a mini-mag light. Don't be too sure you are so much smarter than the cops, EVERY crook thinks that, right before they get busted.
    What I'm trying to say is that my Judo club "borrows" the local police station's gym for training. There are a lot of police there, and I've never heard any of them talk about such weapons. OK? I'm not a criminal, nor do I think that the police anywhere are stupid. I'm just saying that where I live, they aren't really that aware of kubotans and weapons like that.

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:28am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    What I'm trying to say is that my Judo club "borrows" the local police station's gym for training. There are a lot of police there, and I've never heard any of them talk about such weapons. OK? I'm not a criminal, nor do I think that the police anywhere are stupid. I'm just saying that where I live, they aren't really that aware of kubotans and weapons like that.
    The maglight is still good advice.
    The problem with the police not knowing about a Kubotan as a weapon is if you are caught out and somebody does twig the Kubotan can take on mythical properties.
    "Your honnor the offender struck my client with a Ninja death weapon that he carries for the express pourpose of hurting people with"

This is why it is generally worse to stab a person with a butterfly knife rather than a kitchen knife

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, in truth the Kubotan is thought of as a "martial art weapon" most places. You are not allowed to take one on an airplane and there are many places that feel its the same as a "Yawara Stick" and there is where the trouble comes in.

MANY years ago, at a NAAPMA certification for Cardio Karate people in Chicago, there was a huge storm that knocked out power in the Hotel. Real dark all over the place, and REALLY hot aerobics teachers....

...guess who had a mini mag light and was able to lead said ladies to their respective rooms.....

Nuff said on the subject?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    There are a lot of police there, and I've never heard any of them talk about such weapons.
    Not talking to you about kubotans is not the same as not knowing about kubotans.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast