Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I deal with grandma's a lot for reasons i wont disclose, trust me, self defense course or not it doesnt help em much, i just go for that purse and..

so anyway, anyone watching the football in south africa?

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:41pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M1K3 View Post
    As far as I know this thread has always been in YMAS. I almost never post in MABS because usually I have nothing to say there.

If not, mea culpa.
    It was original part of a .com discussion on Bruce Tegner. This discussion was culled and Trollshidoed. I re-titled it and moved it here.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:42pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    People keep thinking alive = full-contact. If you have a brittle senior citizen, they can still do drills (and sparring) with motion/timing/energy that aren't boring and worthless....just don't do it with a ton of force/contact.
    THIS!!!

Evidently I have a crush on you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 2:58pm

Style: Lightning Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although I am a traditional martial artist and enjoy the long arduous journey to mastery, I do see the poster's point. Although I have to agree with everyone else's comment that you can't give inferior training to someone because this would only lead to an inferior fighter.

If you're problem is that martial arts styles focus too much on turning (or trying to turn) someone into an Elite Commando/Prize fighting champion then don't do those styles. The people training in these systems and who stay on are on the path of self perfection or for the nature of the work, be it security, military, competitive fighting or action movies.

I'm not really a fan of Krav Maga because I find it boring (yeah I know someone's gonna bash on me), but as far as I know, most decent Civilian Krav Maga classes address the common scenarios that a regular non-law enforcement/military/security person would encounter. Hell, if you're worried about a regular person doing all the complex movements that a younger person can handle learning, I think Krav Maga would be great as it deals with aggression and gross motor movements.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 3:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These debates are as timeless as shakti and Shiva locked in embrace. Its all a matter of degrees, I think there is probably less of a disagreement than Der and JJ think.

I doubt that either Jj or Der would say that bad martial arts are a solution to not training properly (hence the red herring nature of any assertion of this nature).

I do think that there can be healthy disagreement regarding how much realistic training should involve trickery, escalating tactics that can work (eye gouges groin shots), and the integration of weapons into the movement progressions. Again, people often feel that weapons can escalate more than alleviate a threat.

Ultimately I look at it like this: develop the skill sets and senior citizens, women and even children can learn to use weapons as a way to level the playing field if need be. The key point here is that just because one uses weapons as a well rounded martial artist DOES NOT mean they have to carry a weapon.

On this singular point the Bujinkan Machismo often drives me nuts: people coming to class with spydercos and packing heat and smirking... **** that you carry you best have thought about and practiced enough to know the implications of your decision. A smirk can easily become a death rattle if someone takes that whittle spyderco awwwwaaaay and sticks it in your neck cause you pissed em off.

The universal rules do apply: Train as realistically as one can, learn about all skill sets (they might use em against you) learn about weapons, a knife particularly... and it does not mean you have to carry one! Most of all though learn how YOU will react when you have to use force learn if you can and what your trigger is cause we are alllllllll different. HInt: You can spit on me, hit me etc and my pulse might barely go up.... you look at me friends and family the wrong way? oh boy! Finally learn and condition your body so if you have to you can do a sudden burst when determined... hint aerobic first as you get older!! my two cents
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 3:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Finding You

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    Not to undercut you, but I moved it to YMAS because I felt the discussion is worth having.:new_olymp
    Not an unreasonable call. Please de-cull TheRuss's post and put it back in the .org discussion; that was my mistake, but I'm unable to undo it.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 3:59pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't do it either.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 4:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No can do either.

KEIN HAAR APPROVED!

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 4:22pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there any published research on the benefits of martial arts training for the elderly? It would be interesting to read about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbEOJ-uLlQU

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 4:43pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    These debates are as timeless as shakti and Shiva locked in embrace. Its all a matter of degrees, I think there is probably less of a disagreement than Der and JJ think.

I doubt that either Jj or Der would say that bad martial arts are a solution to not training properly (hence the red herring nature of any assertion of this nature).

I do think that there can be healthy disagreement regarding how much realistic training should involve trickery, escalating tactics that can work (eye gouges groin shots), and the integration of weapons into the movement progressions. Again, people often feel that weapons can escalate more than alleviate a threat.

Ultimately I look at it like this: develop the skill sets and senior citizens, women and even children can learn to use weapons as a way to level the playing field if need be. The key point here is that just because one uses weapons as a well rounded martial artist DOES NOT mean they have to carry a weapon.

On this singular point the Bujinkan Machismo often drives me nuts: people coming to class with spydercos and packing heat and smirking... **** that you carry you best have thought about and practiced enough to know the implications of your decision. A smirk can easily become a death rattle if someone takes that whittle spyderco awwwwaaaay and sticks it in your neck cause you pissed em off.

The universal rules do apply: Train as realistically as one can, learn about all skill sets (they might use em against you) learn about weapons, a knife particularly... and it does not mean you have to carry one! Most of all though learn how YOU will react when you have to use force learn if you can and what your trigger is cause we are alllllllll different. HInt: You can spit on me, hit me etc and my pulse might barely go up.... you look at me friends and family the wrong way? oh boy! Finally learn and condition your body so if you have to you can do a sudden burst when determined... hint aerobic first as you get older!! my two cents
    Nope, that's not it either. If anything, this post is the red herring.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast