Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 7:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

shaolin training in China?

Well, I'm really new to the forum, and to Chinese martial arts. I have reads a bit on them, and went to a few classes. I have done TKD, and Krav Maga for some years. I will be teaching in China for some time, I thought after my teaching there, I would live and train in Shaolin Gung Fu. Now, what I am wanting to know is if it is actually worth it? Mainly, this site here, the link below.

http://www.shaolins.com/

It seems alright, but I'm uneducated on the subject. Or maybe this one here, the link below.

http://www.chinashaolins.com/index.htm

Any of you know anything about ether of these schools? I know that what they teach wont be the traditional art, I read a bit before posting this. But, it does seem like I will learn Chinese, and a lot more while being there. As well as extreme flexibility, and the martial art they teach. I'm wandering though, do they do "5 animals play", or what is it they actually offer? A lot of what I've seen online is claims for something traditional, but they actually end up teaching almost nothing but modern wushu. Thanks in advance everyone.
    Jered

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 7:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you hoping to get out of shaolin training?

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 7:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be able to do the same feats that they are doing. Laying on beds of nails, the extreme flexibility, the strength they have. Just all of it I guess. I see the demonstrations, the speed, the flexibility, even if it's not traditional, it would have to benifit any system of fighting to have that level of flexibility, edurance, and conditioning. I just don't want it to be all gymnastics, something I could get without really leaving. I want to learn from the actual worrior monks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 7:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no warrior monks. If thereare they are now in the Chinese Army. That is one of the myths perpetuated by many a martial artist trying to take your money. There are fighters and there are gymnasts. Now, there are a few that can do both but, it is fairly uncommon.

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The vast majority at the shaolin temple are professional stuntmen, former military, and generally acrobats. If you want to put a little bling into your repertoire, then Shaolin Temple may be your thing.

However, as IIF said, there were no such thing as martial monks at Shaolin temple. Historically, the Shaolin were never seen as a martial arts academy. First and foremost, they were a Buddhist temple which forbade weaponry. The myth of Shaolin as a martial arts school began in the late Qing dynasty, and only became widely accepted by the early Republican period (1900s.)

If you are curious about Shaolin history, read up on your Tang Hao. Otherwise, if you simply want new experience, seeing the world, etc. while getting in shape, Shaolin might be up your alley.

Good luck, keep doing what you love.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:16pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that the chinese goverment tried to purge the monasteries and any martial arts that they felt would be a threat to their new government.(Maybe still paranoid about having another Boxer Rebellion)

Now a lot of the exiles came back after the PRC realized the tourist values of having them in country, but like a lot of things, at this point they have been watered down for western consumption.

Thats not to say you cant have good experiences though. Having the opportunity to travel and see another part of the world is not something to take for granted. I would say once you arrive, ask the locals(not the people at the embassy) and see what you can find out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:22pm

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you go, make sure you read this book:

Amazon.com: American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of…

It's a good read anyway, but should also help to dispel a few myths.

Happy trails.

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:22pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    Keep in mind that the chinese goverment tried to purge the monasteries and any martial arts that they felt would be a threat to their new government.(Maybe still paranoid about having another Boxer Rebellion)
    They purged monasteries of religious elements (for the most part,) but actually supported martial arts. The early communist movement in particular, favored a rigorous martial regimen as a way to "Strengthen the nation." The purge of actual martial arts came much much later, closer to recent times.

Most martial arts instructors in those early days rushed to Southern China. Then they sold their arts as Shaolin for marketing purposes. Some did go overseas, but a good chunk stayed within the borders of the country.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:27pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    They purged monasteries of religious elements (for the most part,) but actually supported martial arts. The early communist movement in particular, favored a rigorous martial regimen as a way to "Strengthen the nation." The purge of actual martial arts came much much later, closer to recent times.

Most martial arts instructors rushed to Southern China. Then they sold their arts as Shaolin for marketing purposes. Some did go overseas, but a good chunk stayed within the borders of the country.
    Yeah I meant to infer the religious part but just mentioned the monasteries, although I didn't think they stayed in country...I thought I had read that a large chunk headed to Taiwan, but it might have been Robert W. Smith, who I think is excellent but not everyone believes in his fact finding skills

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame that Tang Hao's works are no longer in circulation. He did a lot of work to dispel many of the popular myths surrounding CMA in general. I'm still trying to get my hands on a good translation of his original works, which is by no means cheap. You can still find exherpts, clippings, and various articles referencing his findings here and there.

I know it's not much to go on, but for now it's the best we have access to.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Dipshit
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast