Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 10:10pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i would like to see their selection pool.

did they go to ultimate kickass mma/kickboxing acadamy and their sister schools for one pool, and then the chain of strip mall mcdojos owned by a real life korean for the other pool?

although, the results are still pretty solid; aliveness works!
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by White Kimbo View Post
    i would like to see their selection pool.
    It would be interesting but, since the kickboxing gym and the strip mall dojo claim to be teaching the same thing, it's not vitally relevant. But yeah, if they were comparing people who train every day vs. people who train once a week, it does invalidate the implications of the study.

Just to forestall any "fighter vs. martial artist" pseudo-criticism, I think that it is important to realize that the findings of this study do not merely say that KBers are "stronger" than TKDers. The finding that technique and coordination play a vital role in the application of power actually means that KB gives you the same effective skill as TKD in one fifth of the time. Assuming that the samples were relevantly similar, it is a vindication of aliveness as the more effective training method.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 2:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post
    Purest form of TKD? Both ITF and WTF would arguably lay claimto that title, but it does seem to me that you are talking about WTF here, no?
    No my point is not about political organizations at all. My point is twofold: 1) People in the know talk about different Kwans, i.e different groups, schools of thought, that were Korean martial artists who practiced modern Korean martial arts in different ways. On can see evidence of this difference in such major divisions as Kook Sul won (Chinese martial arts) Tang Soo Do (Karate) Tae Kwon Do (Korean karate Ti Kyon).

But these divisions in fact go much further. For example, Moo Duk Kwan which is a style of Korean martial karate that bears little resemblance to what TKD looks like. Yet Moo Duk Kwan is a kwan that is part of TKD according to the people who profess membership into the art. So.....

When one mentions "TKD" as an art one must qualify that statement with the different types of practicioners who claim to be TKD. At one end of the extreme are pure kickers who only use the upper body as a balast to kick, on the other are Moo duk Kwan types who never really kick above the waist and look like Shotokan stylists who are having roid rage haha.

These different groups they fight differently and function differently. You can see evidence of this even in the older TKD guys, some of who are well rounded and can hit as well as they can kick.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 2:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aiyer View Post
    However, I can see the average TKD practitioner replying that they focus more on speed rather on strength and that they don't need that excess of strength if their technique is placed correctly.
    If the school focuses on point-sparring or only works katas through most of the pre-black-belt curriculum, then speed and form take precedence over power.

Schools train for their end goals. If the end goal is point-sparring, then power isn't *necessarily* at the fore-front of the training; speed is. If the end goal is to K.O. someone, then power is introduced VERY early after basics are ingrained.

Also, if a TKD practitioner does say "they don't need that excess of strength if their technique is placed correctly" has never tried to kick somebody with 50lbs on them. Newton laughs every time that happens.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 5:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Also, if a TKD practitioner does say "they don't need that excess of strength if their technique is placed correctly" has never tried to kick somebody with 50lbs on them. Newton laughs every time that happens.
    motherfucking this a million times over.

i have known TKD players that could throw a round kick from their back leg to their own face height in about a quarter of a second. these kicks also feel like your getting slapped by a pissed off shiksa from a 1950s private detective movie.

me on the other hand, my kicks take over twice as long to throw, and they aren't as high. however, i have broken a force meter before.
    no bullshit, at a tournament i refereed at, i was asked to demonstrate a proper round kick for the hardest kick event. i gave one shot and the damn force meter on that bag wouldn't work anymore. i thought i wasn't going to get paid that day because of it.

they can place their kicks where ever they want. as long as they are kicking a person who has taken real hits before and knows the difference between pain and injury, well placed super fast slappy kicks will never compare to a proper kick with full use of existing strength.
    --------

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 7:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's amazing that this is even considered something that needs to be proven. If you were learning swimming would you learn from the guy who puts you in the pool or the guy who wants you to stand next to the pool practicing strokes in the air? It's just common Goddamn sense.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 8:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    vorpal, the scientific world is filled with common sense.

get this, one of the professors at my uni wrote his dissertation on sidewalks. what was his thesis statement? if you put sidewalks into residential neighborhoods, people will walk on them.

yes, the man wrote a 128 page dissertation on "if you build it, they will come" but about sidewalks and not baseball ghosts.

the paradox of science is, "if it's such common sense why hasn't anybody proven it yet? because it's common fucking sense and i don't have to do a scientific study on it. well if it's such common sense then how come....."
    --------

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 8:18pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mom always told me "common sense ain't to common." BTW White Kimbo do you still train TKD or are you solely MMA now?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 8:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two thousand years ago, common sense held that heavy objects fall faster. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristotelian_physics )
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 9:19pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's heavier, OF COURSE it falls faster. Anyone that says different is in league with satan.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast