MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A tragic reflection of the state of grappling in Michigan

The other day whilst paying a visit to my old karate club, I met a gentleman who had my instructor had been telling me stories of on previous visits; he had been fighting MMA for a while, and apparently had racked up quite the impressive record (I believe it was 10-1 or 9-2 or something along those lines).
    After class, I got to spar with this gent, and found his stand-up to be quite impressive. As I recall it, he has quite a few knockouts to his record. After a small dick-kicking related incident (which was, no doubt, karmic payback for all of those low blows I've struck against Moose throughout the years), I suggested we roll instead. I noticed a few things that didn't quite seem right for someone with a record like his; he tried to pass my guard straight into a scarfhold (that is, without the underhook), and just like everyone else who's ever attempted to do this in the history of time, lost his back in the process.
    After a minute and a half or so of rolling, he tapped out, and sat catching his breath. He said something along the lines of "I'm more exhausted than after a fight". Finding these sorts of things odd for someone with as much cage experience as he, I asked him who his grappling coach was. He responded, quite succinctly:
    "Youtube."
    I realize that MMA in this state is still very young, but it sort of pains my heart to see people be able to rise to the top of the amateur circuit without having to be able to properly pass someone's guard. It reminded me a story another fighter from my gym had told me, wherein he watched a fighter who was 4-1 lock in a triangle on the wrong side.
    I cannot help but lament this state of affairs.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    weird. are you sure the guy wasnt full of poo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:44am

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just out of curiosity, has this guy ever, allegedly, fought outside Michigan? I could buy that he blew through the locals with just his standup and maybe general athleticism. But if his conditioning is that poor it would surprise me if his record is legit. I certainly know that grappling condition vs. striking conditioning can be different but even the strikers I know with a very suspect ground game aren't totally spent after a minute and a half.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:48am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    doesn't surprise me. I'm sure many folks from a boxing background may neglect their groundwork. Remember folks are training in mma...it's not like they are actually training in BJJ or Judo. They are learning some submissions, counters and the lot. Heck..I watch amateur MMA all the time and you see great strikers refuse to even go to the ground. As soon as the guy goes to guard the fighter will step back. It's the Kimbo Slice thing...you can rack up quite a record with people who want to stand up and swing with you.

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iainkelt View Post
    Just out of curiosity, has this guy ever, allegedly, fought outside Michigan? I could buy that he blew through the locals with just his standup and maybe general athleticism. But if his conditioning is that poor it would surprise me if his record is legit. I certainly know that grappling condition vs. striking conditioning can be different but even the strikers I know with a very suspect ground game aren't totally spent after a minute and a half.
    If YouTube is his coach, chances are he's tense as **** on the ground, spazzes a lot to get out of things, and probably burns through all his cardio quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 10:24pm

Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From watching live webcasts of local shows in Michigan, there's a whole lot of guys who come in with barely any training, let alone grappling skills.

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:01pm

Style: Kung Fu combat wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not sad at all. I think it's cool.
    Why the hell is it sad?

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:25pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A body builder guy I know, about 5'7" 250 pounds of muscle, got some fight offers before from some of the local shows. Now, this was one of those guys who always talked about how much he liked UFC but was always "too busy" to actually train. I rolled with the guy a couple times in the past (and I had to constantly pressure him to make it happen), and beat him handily every time. And I weigh 155. And I'm a chunner. And even I could beat him.

Anyway, he was offered some fights, and was told that since he WATCHED UFC that he'd be fine.

I'd like to also add that I hate how when people find out I practice Kung Fu, they often ask why I haven't been in the UFC yet. And if that's what I'm training for. And how I think I'd do if I fought in it.

In short, people are fucking stupid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:52pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    It reminded me a story another fighter from my gym had told me, wherein he watched a fighter who was 4-1 lock in a triangle on the wrong side.
    You mean reverse triangle?

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 12:10am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he means the foot under the knee was on the wrong side. Could be wrong though.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast