Style
    Kunst des Fechten, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help a Beginner Avoid McDojo

Hello everyone,

I'm sure I'm already making splendid mistakes as to where I should put this thread, so I will start by saying I intend to heed any and all advice about that sort of thing.

To keep things short, I'm getting into a practice called HEMA (historical european martial arts), with a group of friends. HEMA study is often very different from more mainstream martial study in that we lack a formal school structure and a lot of the work is done by individual study groups, trying to combine old texts with advice from more experienced practitioners. Eclectic barely covers it.

We are eager to learn, and equally eager to expand. We want anyone who's interested to join us, and to learn with us. What we do not want is to become a HEMA mcDojo, for reasons I'm sure you're all already familiar with.

Does anyone have some advice for avoiding turning into a mcdojo? I'm sure that practicing with intent and an honest spirit is a good start, but I would like some hints as to warning signs that should be heeded, perhaps. I want to study this art and its associated practices genuinely and earnestly, and in this forewarned is probably forearmed.

Regards,

William

Style
    Kunst des Fechten, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a lot of apologies to make it seems.

I apparently forgot that I had registered to this forum before, and found my old account.

I am aware that only one account per user is allowed. I apologize for violating this rule, and ask that one of the accounts be deleted (preferably nephelim_inc, as I no longer use that handle for...anything).

Again, I apologize and own my error.

Style
    Kickboxin & Shootfightin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi hi,welcome. Not too sure on the McDojo aspect of HEMA,wasn't actually aware of it,its a bit too far left feild for most. Yes, theres LARPing,but thats not the same thing.Anyways,moving right along.

You might want to take some time and look around the "Western Martial Arts" Forum for HEMA related posts/threads as they pop up there reasonably often (thanx Ddlr),and that might also inadvertantly lead you to new ppl/areas.From what i've seen??? HEMA is a HUGE!! feild,similar to saying "Karate" in its scope of styles/practices.

Once again,welcome and enjoy.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you affiliated with a group such as the Association for Renaissance Martial Arts? http://www.thehaca.com/
    If not, have you looked into it? That's where I would start. There may be a chapter in your area. If this isn't what you are looking for my apologies.

Style
    Kunst des Fechten, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I considered joining the ARMA, yes! However, in my research I realized that ARMA is very 'closed shop' and requires its members not to practice with members from other organizations.

While I understand their motivations for doing this (John Clements and his team invest a great deal of time developing their style, and want to maintain focus in a different way while avoiding sportification), my mentality toward martial arts is rather eclectic. I prefer the freedom to train with multiple partners, from differing traditions if possible, to test myself in as many ways as I can.

To that end, I signed up with a group called the HEMA Alliance. Also, our core curriculum is based out of the Joachim Meyer manuscripts, with some initial guidance being provided by the Meyer Freifechter Guild in Florida (we are in NC).

MFFG Link here:
    http://www.freifechter.com/

Specifically, our group has agreed to focus solely on the three core disciplines of Meyer for our first year at least: Longsword, Ringen/Wrestling, Dagger.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. You really did your homework on this. Congrats:icon_thum

Well then the last bit of advice I can dispense is to read this article in the bullshido encyclopedia on mcdojos http://www.bullshido.org/McDojo.

Read this, and do the inverse of whatever the article says a McDojo would do.

I wish you and your club the best of luck!

Style
    jits da variedade brasile
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where at in NC? We've got a few WMA guys from Charlotte on the board here.

Style
    Kunst des Fechten, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty far from Charlotte, sadly. Much closer to the coast, about 40 miles east of Raleigh in a little piece of nowhere called Goldsboro!