Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 4:00am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's the advertising, plain and simple. The Chun offers a lot of things that no honest instructor can offer. Plus, they can make such technically true claims as "a chunner punches X times faster than a boxer", only they neglect to mention that a chunner has over X times less force in each punch.

I'm just waiting for the day when they start applying the advertising laws to martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 7:41am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexlorn View Post
    I have another guess here. If you never knew something better, you might end in a Wing Chun class, more if it's close to your location. . :hello2:
    Interesting point. Which I like. As a kid (slightly before the dawn of time but after the introduction of the vcr). The only knowledge of MA I had was Hollywood. I was still mildly obsessed and when A black belt came into the area and opened up a dojo I was first in line. I hadn't a clue what style it was or even really the difference between Kung Fu and Karate. It was just pure luck that the style was kyokushin.

But even years after I never really got the difference between the styles; I briefly joined a TKD class when I went do college and got an awful rollicking when after what I thought was a fairly easy class (it was their squad session) I went to spar one of their guys he came at me flying around in a circle doing some twirly-spinning kick and I cracked him one in the sternum with my fist. He went down like I'd shot him and the instructor bawled me out of it (me totally flabbergasted as to what everyone's problem was I was far from the hardest puncher in my dojo) but for the 'ridiculous and unnecessary contact' and my total lack of hand protection.

He had never heard of kyokushin and actually doubted that it was even a 'real' martial art:eusa_snoo

How times have changed....

The point I'm labouring to make is that to a complete ignorant noob ANYthing looks the ****.
    I have learned TKD as a kid and grew up a fairy.
    Or done Wing Chun and grew up to be a woman.
    Last edited by Dargentus; 6/16/2010 7:43am at . Reason: typos!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:06am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^tl;dr

Paraphrase: TKDers are pussies, Kyokushin rules, _ing __un is t3h ghey.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:09am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    ^tl;dr

Paraphrase: TKDers are pussies, Kyokushin rules, _ing __un is t3h ghey.
    Ya, actually.
    You could read it like that.

And I wouldn't get upset.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:34am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly,

I think Wing Chun has some legit techniques to be incorporated into a well rounded fighter's game. BUT

The people who practice the art keep it from improving, and are generally incapable of applying anything but the most basic of principles under duress.

:beatdead:

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    Reasons (Both Stupid and Less So) do Wing Chun:

1. Bruce Lee did it.

2.Trapping is cool when it works

3.Bruce Lee did it

4. Makes you think you can fight without having to go through the potential pain, embarassment of pressure testing or being athletic.

5.Bruce Lee Did it.

6. Kung-fu not imitating random animals is inherently less silly than doing 5-Monkey Tiger Claw kung fu.

Bruce Lee did it.
    Seriously you left two out....

7. Created by a woman

8. Bruce Lee did it .... :kermit:
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:50am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post

7. Created by a woman

And I hear Bruce Lee did it.

BTW, all my teachers have mad respect for you and your judo!

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 12:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtripp View Post

7. Created by a woman

I have been patiently waiting for someone to point out THE irony. You know THE big fat one?

Lets assume Bruce Lee had some fighting ability. Maybe a good deal of it was gained after being on the set with Gene LeBell.... but Lee, if nothing else projected a great image of explosiveness and could look quite formidable.

How did Lee learn how to apply the art so deftly? by learning the wrong footwork, being taught deliberately askew by Yip Man. And finally by combining the art with fencing boxing and wrestling.

Can one conclude that the wrong Chun is the deadly stuff?
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 2:02pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    I have been patiently waiting for someone to point out THE irony. You know THE big fat one?

Lets assume Bruce Lee had some fighting ability. Maybe a good deal of it was gained after being on the set with Gene LeBell.... but Lee, if nothing else projected a great image of explosiveness and could look quite formidable.

How did Lee learn how to apply the art so deftly? by learning the wrong footwork, being taught deliberately askew by Yip Man. And finally by combining the art with fencing boxing and wrestling.

Can one conclude that the wrong Chun is the deadly stuff?
    Possibly. He may have had teh tru3 d34dly and God had to destroy him for it, just in case Bruce Lee decided to destroy the universe.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 2:24pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drexlorn View Post
    Seriously, look at all the Wing Chun schools of the world and the number of people practicing it. Is it all about Bruce Lee and just that ? So every chunner has a fantasy of becoming the next Bruce Lee?

Look at it, the power of the illusion is amazing. So many people endoctrined ? o.O
    Are you kidding? Until the UFC 90% of the people who started martial arts fantasized about being Bruce Lee or a Ninja.

Now it's mostly *favorite MMA fighter*, THEN Bruce, THEN a ninja.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast