Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 4:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee is the biggie.

Another issue–there have been many sectarian splits in the system, and thus lots of teachers who make expansive claims. They have great names for their schools, flags, the whole bit...but how many students do they actually have? I wonder. I walked by the International Academy of Wing Chun the other day, and the place was a storefront smaller than a two-chair barber's shop. It may sound big on the 'net, but three of the four US schools are within a few miles of Berkeley and I suspect most of them don't have more than twenty students, including lookie-loos and martial tourists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 4:35pm

Style: bitchin' and whinin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno if things have changed since I was a bairn, but then you either went to the school your freinds did, or had a choice of two or three schools you could get to; not really knowing the difference between different martial arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 8:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have another guess here. If you never knew something better, you might end in a Wing Chun class, more if it's close to your location. All in all i firmly thinks there's a huge lack of information or a great misinformation in the martial arts domain. The more i read the more i'm amazed to see how abused martial arts are. So many people not able to double-check reference and easily impressed by hollywood-like flying kicks of death.

You know, if it was not for the internet, i would probably have joined a WC school too since there's one really close to my house. How would have known the whereabouts without anyone to guide ? I would have been fused to the dojo like the others until the truth hit me some day (and perhaps never if not confronted to reality).

God i'm happy the internet exist. So much time and pain saved with the information found on site like this. :)

On that note, remember the pre-internet time ? How people exchanged about martial arts back there ? Think of the leap in communication between praticioners and styles ! Internet, i love you so much. :hello2:
    Last edited by Drexlorn; 6/15/2010 8:29am at . Reason: typos !!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 8:46am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well i think one reason can be that if a guy is strong and disciplined, and keep calm in a fight and think of the techniques he has been taught, he can win fights sometimes even with some ridiculous moves.
    And then of course that means = their style rocks

I know, shotokan karate has no contacts but I ve seen karate guys kick ass more than once.

I also heard some stories about how wing chun guys beat the crap out of some people.(from my bjj instructor...he doesnt think wc is effective by the way)

I know, when you have more knowledge you can see a lot of bs in some sports. But against untrained opponents(or weaker) sometimes they can work.
    And for sure the winner will just go on saying that his style works. And people will believe him and say "man you see he trains wc and he kicked the sht out of that guy"

I even know a guy who teaches aikido (also did karate) and he fcked up a thief who came into his house once. He broke a lot of his bones just to punish him.
    I didnt see it myself (but its real thats for sure) when he was fighting,maybe it was surprise maybe it was strength or whatever. But in the end what happened? "An aikido teacher kicked the sht out of a thief.AWESOME"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 8:52am

Style: BJJ and MT at the moment

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or maybe its because of this video and the bg music

YouTube- EBMAS - TURKEY Advertisement

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_F View Post
    Dunno if things have changed since I was a bairn, but then you either went to the school your freinds did, or had a choice of two or three schools you could get to; not really knowing the difference between different martial arts.
    ^^^This. Back in the pre-internet days. I went to TKD because a friend of mine went to the school, ditto for Shaolin Kung Fu. I just happend to drive by a Tang Soo Do school one day and started going there. In Korea I started at the Hapkido school my roommate went to. I don't think most people do a lot of research and comparison shopping, the just kind of fall into one place or another. I learned to be a picky, finicky bitch on Bullshido (What? you haz no fight team? You are teh suxor!).

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Simpsons did it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Folks just going to what's close by doesn't explain the particular popularity of Wing Chun. It just explains that pretty much any doofus can open a studio and get some passing trade, no matter what they are teaching.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroyunus View Post
    or maybe its because of this video and the bg music

YouTube- EBMAS - TURKEY Advertisement
    OMG, these foom foom moves never get old. :)

Now the firm believer that "A foom vid a day helps you work, rest and play".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 4:00pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wing Chun would work if real life was a Jackie Chan movie.

YouTube- Pablo Francisco - Jackie Chan - Bruce Lee - Jet Li
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast