Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:01am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say just do a couple 5 minute rounds of jumping rope if you can.
    You can do other exercises on rope jumping days but you don't have to.
    Jumping rope is good cardio, helps with footwork and recovery steps a lot....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:13am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never realized how tiring jumping rope actually is...still feels pretty good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 2:54pm

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get hold of Buddy Lee's 'Jump Rope Training' Covers basic skills and more importantly, has sensible progression regimes and some tough sports specific workouts

Make SURE you master the basic skills first!

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 4:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anyone who jumps rope for an hour has just wasted an hour they could be hitting people.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 7:49am

Style: Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    anyone who jumps rope for an hour has just wasted an hour they could be hitting people.
    Its Alucard, hes got th3 1337 sk1llz already.

And Alucard, get the basics correct before you go skipping maraton. Ive seen people skipping like playground which does nothing to your footwork.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:16am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my experiences jumping rope has to be pretty hardcore for you to gain any meaningful cardio benefits vs. running. I do both when I am training.

I used to do a thousand (takes about 10 minutes) jumps and it didn't really do much. My boxing coach took a look at me and pushed it:
    1. at least 15-20 minutes total. Sometimes I do 25 minutes
    2. Every 2-3 minutes, do a minute of single leg lifts (like try to get your legs to your chest as you jump).. one leg of course. Same pace. That way you get interval cardio workout
    4. In between, I add in a minute of Kicking the foot back (foot to butt) then kicking it forward (not too far, like just throwing out a leg as if you are about to walk) while jumping on the other.
    3. Last 3-5 minutes, do the single leg lift burnout.

I used to feel like I'm done working out after this, but after a couple of minutes of rest (stretching, etc) I can move onto padwork, bagwork, sparring.

BTW I don't remember the importance of getting the "basic skills" first. I had to jump rope in my bullshit PE class in Korean middle school so I was pretty good at it before I started kickboxing. So listen to that part of the thread if you feel its important.
    Last edited by dwkfym; 6/21/2010 8:21am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 3:11pm

Style: MT, Boxing,ITF TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "From my experiences jumping rope has to be pretty hardcore for you to gain any meaningful cardio benefits vs. running. I do both when I am training."

Agreed. Thats why the Buddy Lee book is a good investment

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 4:39pm

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jumping rope is just like jogging so you will get out of it what you put in.

If you do 3x3 minutes slow skipping you will get about as fit as if you were jogging slowly for 3x3 minutes.

My recommendation would be to do 5x5 minutes and within the 5 minutes do various "exercises" such as "sprinting" (going as fast as you can) or lifting your knees up as high as you can for 20 second intervals so that you are doing something difficult for at least 20 seconds out of every minute. Once you get fit you can make the periods between exercises shorter or the exercise periods longer. In between each round for the "break" you can do 20 or 30 press-ups.

Remember once you get good at skipping it takes very little effort to just skip (even quite quickly) so the normal skipping becomes "active rest". It is up to you to make it into HIIT rather than long slow distance training by mixing it up.

We used to do this three days a week as our warmup but you could do it more or less depending on what else you are doing. If you are doing nothing else you could do it 5 days a week no problem. It is just half an hour of HIIT.

Posted On:
    6/28/2010 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use it as a 1 min "rest" between sets of pads etc., shooting for min. 100 skips in that time.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12