Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 5:36am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He had to take a break from writing to Dear Penthouse, so he posted this here. He put it in the comedy forum - what else could you want?

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 6:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoj View Post
    unless of course you are a cool hardened fighter of the mean streets who casually punches aggressors in the throat before finishing them off with a quick sidekick.
    WHILE holding the other ruffian in a standing kimura no less.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 7:40am

Style: Traditional Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went with my wife and my 9 year old son this weekend. I thought the movie was well done. Yes, it is a remake, but there were some key things which gave it a nice quality.

Realistic views of the diversity of China. Lots of shots of the old standing along side the innovative and new. Nice slices of the communal (not communist) culture. (The park scenes were nice). A good feel for the closeness of families and neighbors.

Jackie Chan's character was well played and not at all over the top like some of his other films. No wire work that I could detect. Good, basic fighting for most of the film..until the tournament. More on that later.

Jaden Smith is very much his father's son. You can really see it in his expressions and composure. Lucky kid to have a shot at being an action star. He is going to go places if he chooses that path. Jaden clearly worked hard to get to the point where he could pull off the art. He is pretty ripped for a 12 year old.

***spoilers ahead***

The apology letter was a nice touch. I didn't see that coming.

The tournament was my real issue. If you follow the story as advertised, that tournament was his first shot at standup fighting. He trained for a few months and is pulling off some tricky flip kicks, sweeps and takedowns. He got smacked pretty good by kids who had been training for years. He was way too confident and way too resilient after being hit. He had no opportunity to develop the kind of body toughness he showed. He ignored the injuries to his beat on leg more than once to do powerful moves with it.

The cobra thing.. well, it least it wasn't a crane kick :)

I understand it was a plot device towards the telling of the story, and I only had to turn down my disbelief a 'reasonable' amount to enjoy it. The movie is arguably as good or better than the original.

As a dad, watching the pics during the ending credits was fun. Will and Jada Smith must be pretty damn proud of their son.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:08am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude's lying.

If somebody grabs your collar, punching him in the throat and not getting arrested is impossible. This is America we're talking about.

And I doubt two attractive (and sane) women would give you their phone numbers after you trivially brutalized two grown men for wanting a spot in line.

If it was a lie, nice job on the shitty troll job.

If it was true, you're a fuckin asshole and I hope you get raped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not calling bullshit. However, I would like to know what movie theater you were at. I want to go there. I have had 3 bar fights and 2 club fights in my life. I have won 4 of them and have at no point in any of the five been allowed to continue on with my evening after 5-0 showed up.

I have always ended up spending time in a squad car. The only time I did not end up in the squad car is when I took a roundhouse at the club from a bouncer and then I spent time in the back getting smelling salts and an apology from said bouncer. To which point the police placed him in the back of the squad car while they made sure I was alright and were sure I wasn't going to press charges.

My point is that kicking someone's ass in public usually gets you placed in custody and usually arrested. The winner almost ALWAYS spends time in the squad car. Whooping someone's ass is assault...even if the other guy started it. You have a right to defend yourself but if in defending your self too much ass is kicked...you are going to the pokie.

My coach was showing disarms to his advanced students and I quickly added the caveat with the knife disarm that you had BETTER NOT stab the guy after you disarmed him. SOME (ok the two dudes I know that take it) Krav Maga guys love to brag about reversals...I keep reminding them of the ramifications of disarming and stabbing someone in any form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:56am

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    Dude's lying.

If somebody grabs your collar, punching him in the throat and not getting arrested is impossible. This is America we're talking about.

And I doubt two attractive (and sane) women would give you their phone numbers after you trivially brutalized two grown men for wanting a spot in line.

If it was a lie, nice job on the shitty troll job.

If it was true, you're a fuckin asshole and I hope you get raped.
    I'm an asshole for fending off some clown? Well then I guess every person on this site is an asshole since they no doubt have at some point in their life fended off an attacker. Even if it were unfortunately over a trivial matter. Trivial or not, I didn't want to fight nor did I try and antagonize the situation so that a fight would occur. I went about my business but I guess the guy had something else in mind.

EDIT: After some thought I just realized calling every person on this site an asshole may not actually be construed as an insult.......
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJayBoogie
    I have always ended up spending time in a squad car. The only time I did not end up in the squad car is when I took a roundhouse at the club from a bouncer and then I spent time in the back getting smelling salts and an apology from said bouncer. To which point the police placed him in the back of the squad car while they made sure I was alright and were sure I wasn't going to press charges.

My point is that kicking someone's ass in public usually gets you placed in custody and usually arrested. The winner almost ALWAYS spends time in the squad car. Whooping someone's ass is assault...even if the other guy started it. You have a right to defend yourself but if in defending your self too much ass is kicked...you are going to the pokie.
    Why did he end up kicking you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 12:05pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I was at the movies and I hit this little fucker with a hadouken or something

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 12:07pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you finish with a Shoryuken?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 12:35pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alucard619 View Post
    I'm an asshole for fending off some clown? Well then I guess every person on this site is an asshole since they no doubt have at some point in their life fended off an attacker. Even if it were unfortunately over a trivial matter. Trivial or not, I didn't want to fight nor did I try and antagonize the situation so that a fight would occur. I went about my business but I guess the guy had something else in mind.

EDIT: After some thought I just realized calling every person on this site an asshole may not actually be construed as an insult.......
    Why did he end up kicking you?
    for being an asshole...but he actually was trying to kick a bigger asshole who was the guy I was with.

Choked out by Gene Lebell

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 12:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah yes, school is out for the summer.....
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." -- Hericletus, circa 500 BC
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast