Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 2:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Jenkins View Post
    Did reconsider this - the distance is different high vs low, and presumably training makes anything better. We tend to train for shots above and below this particular target, rather than dead centre. Having said that, I suspect I will have a hard time finding partners for this training. Do you have an uppercut bag or something you hang at the right height or do you train with less force on a shield?
    Well, a banana bag would be sweet, but I can't hang one myself right now.
    More than anything else, invest in some super-thick kickboxing shins. If you can, get a loaner pair for slacker dojobuds so they have no good excuse to not practice with you. Then you can do sparring drills (and sparring!) and make decent contact. I'm not saying try to hit each other hard, driving your weight through the target, don't, just don't pull the kick either because you wind up not practicing the actual motion you plan to use.

Shields held against the leg work for practicing sole kicks or some combos (it's not a very mobile pad) , but not all shields are created equal; a lot are for kid's krotty, but a thick one should let you kick your partner's leg hard; just make sure bumps his leg/weight into the oncoming kick a little to prevent his knee from being buckled in case you miss and land too low. If people are hurting through the shield, make the kicker wear shinpads too.

Thigh pads (not "thai" pads), in combo with focus mitts or thai pads up top, help some, but the person still needs to wear shin pads and not go all out (and padholder needs to still bump with their leg as mentioned above). An alternative is having the pad holder wear shin pads and check the kicks, letting you both get practice. Personally, I was very unimpressed with the amount of shock absorption the Windy thigh pads I bought had, but if your partner is still complaining about moderate contact through shin pads during drills, it might be just what you need to push them over the edge into their comfort zone, especially if the person is much smaller than their training partners.

That's kind of my mentality in general: don't sell yourself short that you need to tougher/younger/whatever. If you see something you want to train, just find a way to bring it down into your comfort zone without turning it into dead training. Usually it involves altering your gear setup.

Probably people who teach MT/kickboxing can give you better training advice than me, but sometimes I think it helps non-legkick Karate people hear stuff like this from someone else who trained in a no-legkicks environment for years and years and had just as many hangups about them being too dangerous.

P.S. I was wondering what happened to foxguitar just this morning, weird!
    Last edited by maofas; 6/20/2010 2:58pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 4:49pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I certainly hope I don't have to be younger - there's one thing I definitely cant overcome.

Leg kicks I train - just not ball shots. Woke up with a wicked inner thigh cramp last week in the middle of the night, and I expect it's from one too many on the inner leg. I get that other people are tougher on that ... fair enough.

It's more common to see leg kicks (by a good long shot) than head kicks in what I do. But you do get the guys who have a great Brazilian kick or high roundhouse who keep you awake.

I get partners who complain and partners who don't. I'm fine either way. But those who want to stick you and complain, that's just not on.

Anyway, appreciate your thoughts. Still can't imagine seeing this movie ...

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well **** me then if you train leg kicks already, sorry I misunderstood the quote-job. I didn't know Uechi did leg kicks, nifty. Maybe that novel will help someone else one day...probably not, lol.

I don't train groin shots, but not out of 2deadly, just always being way lower priority than other things I want to train/add. At some point I will find a safe way to practice them in contact sparring which will involve me trying a lot of different gear combos and letting people kick me in the balls (no it will not be on YouTube). One idea I want to try is a regular cup underneath one of those bulky no-foul protectors used in boxing.
    Last edited by maofas; 6/20/2010 5:17pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Well **** me then if you train leg kicks already, sorry I misunderstood the quote-job. I didn't know Uechi did leg kicks, nifty. Maybe that novel will help someone else one day...probably not, lol.

I don't train groin shots, but not out of 2deadly, just always being way lower priority than other things I want to train/add. At some point I will find a safe way to practice them in contact sparring which will involve me trying a lot of different gear combos and letting people kick me in the balls (no it will not be on YouTube). One idea I want to try is a regular cup underneath one of those bulky no-foul protectors used in boxing.

No offence, I thought you were kind of full of **** when you were talking about live training and ball shots. I knew (a little bit) better from other threads, so that`s why no harassment. I`m ok if I don`t train them directly - I do believe I can hit that target with confidence (and power) should the need and opportunity arise. Until then, I`ll train around it.

Thanks - appreciate your thoughts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:48pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm so happy this thread is still about groin kicks.

Also, this:

YouTube- Episode 3

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude that`s not cool

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:01pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBadGuy
    The Dog kid's mom is parked next to me in the parking lot. He runs up and asks me a question. "Hey dude, where did you learn that stuff?"

"That was grappling. Real MMA."

"Where do I go for that?"

I was a little shocked. Sure, he changed sides quickly, but I guess even a dog can realize it has more in common with the wolf than with the shephard.

I give him the names of some BJJ schools in the area, and we go our separate ways.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 7:19pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siniq View Post
    That made my fucking day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 8:02pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has gone on quite the journey...from kids playing kung fu in a karate movie, to a philosophical and technical diatribe on nut shots, back to Jackie Chan kung foo-ing adolescents. And the mandatory video clip of a clown.

On another note..the little training in Uechi Ryu I did involved a crap load of body hardening and attacks to weak points of the body (many being to the leg/knee, etc).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2010 8:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    This thread has gone on quite the journey...from kids playing kung fu in a karate movie, to a philosophical and technical diatribe on nut shots, back to Jackie Chan kung foo-ing adolescents. And the mandatory video clip of a clown.

On another note..the little training in Uechi Ryu I did involved a crap load of body hardening and attacks to weak points of the body (many being to the leg/knee, etc).
    Yes - I often wonder if there should be separate threads for some of these discussions.

Interested in your thoughts - with whom did you train, why did you not continue?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 14 LastLast