Thread: Hello

Style
    I just like to fight.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello

I've been lurking/browsing here on and off for a a year or two now and I finally registered a few days ago. Now every time I view a thread, I get a ginormous message telling me I haven't posted yet, so here I am.

I wanted to learn some self defense stuff because I spend a lot of time out rambling by myself. A friend of mine offered to teach me some stuff, but he created a monster - it turned out to be way more fun than I thought it would be and now we train 3 days/week, 2 hours/day. His black belt is in Tang Soo Do, but he's not actually supposed to teach that because of the whole school hierarchy and competition thing, so we mostly do BJJ and Muay Thai, plus whatever else he throws in. We meet in the loft of an old barn on a 9x12 carpet remnant. I put a heavy bag up there for when he's not around.

We're mostly doing BJJ these days because it's too hot for the sparring gear. And if it's completely unbearable, we cut it short and go outside and do staff forms and staff combat.

Now to see if I can figure out how to put an avatar up...

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sucks when no one answers your initial post.

So what about martial arts draws you? Is it the physicality, the idea of competition, or being able to defend yourself?

Merry Christmas! shitter's full... supporting member

Style
    BJJ/Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where did he learn MT and BJJ?

what part of delaware are you in. there might be some awesome schools around that have full contact fight teams to help you learn.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

If the young man teaching you grappling has no teaching credentials in the sport then it is certain that he is teaching you bad habits that you will have to "unlearn" later.

If this is the case, I find it rather amusing that he won't teach you the martial art that he has rank in, but will teach you in the one he doesn't have rank in.

Style
    I just like to fight.
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    It sucks when no one answers your initial post.

So what about martial arts draws you? Is it the physicality, the idea of competition, or being able to defend yourself?
    All of the above? I didn't expect to like it - I don't like people in my personal space, and I've always been a solo exerciser my whole life, whether it was going to the gym or going on a weekend backpacking trip. I dunno, something just clicked after a few sparring sessions and I fell in love with it. I'm not so into the competition part, at least not beyond wanting to "win" each match.

Style
    Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two guys practicing BJJ in an old barn loft. Interesting.