Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blue belt before no gi?!

So the two bjj schools in my area(simmler bjj and gabriel gonzaga bjj) both offer gi and no gi bjj but require that you take the gi class and attain your blue belt before being able to compete in no gi? For people more experienced in the art in me is this a good way to make sure you know the fundamentals or is it just a sneaky way to make you spend ridiculous amount on the gameness or hck they sell in the gym?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, and yes. I wouldn't do it but thats me. Welcome to bullshido tell us about yourself?

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It won't make a lot of difference to be honest. I competed in my first no-gi tournament 3 months after I started jits. I didn't compete in Gi until over 2 years in, at which time I had only done about 3 months worth of Gi grappling.
    The fundamentals are largely the same, the Gi just spices things up with additional control points and tricks.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcome and the info.

I do social work in Massachusetts. I am an army reservist and a college student.

My training in martial arts as an adult is pretty minimal. Limited to very cursory experiences in the army, the handful of fights I got into as an angry teenager and angrier young adult, and experiences through friends and coworkers

I'm really just trying to become a more balanced person and find a place in the world. I was seriously on my way to becoming portly, although now I'm more in control of my motivation, but I'm terrified of waking up fat and old and wondering where the rest of my life went.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah...I ended up on Bullshido to check out a guy I met that claimed he trained in ninjutsu and was trying to sell me on giving me private lessons. He was affiliated with konigun dojo and there certainly was a lot on here to let me make an informed choice.

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on your expressed goals I wouldn't worry about whether you have to get a blue belt before doing no-gi or not. Either of those schools will fulfill your goals admirably.

Style
    bjj/judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I dont really doubt the validity of the instruction, Gabriel Gonzaga is a UFC vet and bjj black belt under Marco Alvan and Dan Simmler is a Matt Serra bb. I was just curious if it was a normal practice or just a way to make a buck

Style
    TKD, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a practice I've heard of, but you'd be buying a Gi anyways, right?

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by soldiermedic25 View Post
    I was just curious if it was a normal practice or just a way to make a buck
    It's pretty common for no-gi at BJJ schools to be considered an 'advanced' class that should be attended only by those with a basic grounding already. You don't have to be a blue belt where I train, but proper beginners tend to be encouraged to start off in the gi.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The schools want to make sure you have your fundamentals down. There are little things you can get away with in no-gi that won't work when you're wearing the gi. If you never wear the gi, you won't learn the slow technical game that the grips on the gi make possible.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Oh and buy an inexpensive gi until you're sure you're going to stick with BJJ. I've seen more than a few guys show up with $200 gi and stop training after six weeks.