Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 9:51am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Are there any disadvantages to reverse ogive rounds?

I've got a question about reverse ogive type rounds. I had read that they have enhanced traumatic characteristics akin to hollow point type rounds, but at the same time penetrate solid objects better than FMJs. I had gotten an impression that these rounds are somehow the best of both worlds.

Here are some articles:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/tact...article422.htm

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/THV.htm

Are there any disadvantages to reverse ogive rounds? What is the reason that everyone is not running around using them?

The second article states they are only suitable for close range engagements. Does that mean the ballistics are so bad after a certain distance that you wouldn't be able to hit your target?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 9:40pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I honestly have no idea. I haven't had a chance to try any of these out, but I've seen pictures before and I've always wanted to try them. Where can you find them? I might just give some 9mm a try.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:51pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based off what those articles say, they look like they could be the worst of both worlds. Allow me to explain:

On soft targets, the author boasts that they do not fragment, instead creating a "temporary wound channel." This is the same thing which happens when you fart and your butt-cheeks flap together. A "temporary wound channel" is just the elasticity of the tissue responding to the temporary presence of the missile. Once the energy dissipates, the tissue returns to it's original position, albeit with some minor tears.

Allegedly, the bullets will enhance the tears. In reality, their lighter weight will not allow them to maintain sufficient kinetic energy as they travel through the tissue for this effect to occur reliably.

These rounds may cause more temporary cavitation, but without hydrostatic shock, this means very little. If the rounds don't fragment, they cause less hemorraging - which is much more important in terms of incapacitating someone than "temporary wound channels."

Fun fact. It's of French design. They have sunk billions of their proud national coffers into designing a bullet that won't hurt someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7: