Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ningirsu View Post
    Well, I honestly hope you're right. I'd be looking forward to this if I could be certain of its quality.

But forgive me, I'm still going to remain skeptical:

"We're also working closely with artists, fight choreographers & other martial artists, programmers, film-makers, game designers"
    You're absolutely welcome to remain skeptical, it's a good default position. FWIW I have it on very, very good authority that WMA folk will be pleased with the results here.

Hopefully he doesn't consider those to be sources when it comes to learning historical sword fighting.
    No, he considers them to be sources when it comes to artwork, fight choreography, film-making and game design. Now, picture those professionals working on projects specifically intended to present authentic HEMA.

"Stephenson-designed spring-loaded practice sword that flexes on impact to soften a blow"

So HE designed the wasters for his group? What about the swords in the video? Surely the writer of the article would have thought it more impressive if Stephenson used steel to practice instead.
    He designed the spring-loaded swords a number of years ago; his group also uses steel swords.

"On the other hand, the Frenchmen he defeats in the scene in question have never laid eyes on a Japanese person or a katana and so are completely unprepared for his style of fighting"

Right, because fighting with a sword in two hands is sooooo foreign to the Renaissance French. :icon_roll
    You're really determined to read the worst into this, aren't you?

My general impression is that despite his years of practice and motivation for "getting it right", he's nonetheless failing at it miserably because he's approaching it from the wrong direction and he's neglecting the most important aspects of learning WMA...or any fighting in general.
    You mentioned input from the HEMA community, but I can't seem to pinpoint who in any of the links posted.
    You will be pleasantly surprised in the not-distant future.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/19/2010 6:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Longsword, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    You're absolutely welcome to remain skeptical, it's a good default position. FWIW I have it on very, very good authority that WMA folk will be pleased with the results here.

No, he considers them to be sources when it comes to artwork, fight choreography, film-making and game design. Now, picture those professionals working on projects specifically intended to present authentic HEMA.

He designed the spring-loaded swords a number of years ago; his group also uses steel swords.

You will be pleasantly surprised in the not-distant future.
    I am relieved to hear that. I'll keep my eyes open and see how it turns out.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 2:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A bit more on this via an interview recorded at the San Francisco Apps Show - YouTube- The Mongoliad preview at the SF App Show

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/12/2010 11:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mongoliad project goes live

http://mongoliad.com/

FAQ, etc. including ref. to Western Martial Arts and their place in the world of the Mongoliad: http://mongoliad.com/contents/8#P0 and http://mongoliad.com/faq

Posted On:
    4/11/2012 8:04pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for the thread necro, but I thought it might be better to resurrect the thread with new info instead of creating a new one:

http://io9.com/5901222/neal-stephens...goliad-trailer

Neal Stephenson has a hard time talking about swordplay, in the Mongoliad trailer

Neal Stephenson attempts to talk about swords and medieval battles... only to be told he's not doing it "big" enough, in this new trailer for The Mongoliad Vol. 1, the anthology he and some friends created about a secret history of Eurasia.
    We're thrilled to be able to bring you your exclusive first look at this trailer, which shows off some amazing sword technique and also shows Neal Stephenson doing his absolute, level best to create some hype.
    Here's the official synopsis for The Mongoliad, Vol. 1:
    This May, from the minds of Neal Stephenson and Greg Bear comes The Mongoliad Trilogy, the first installment in the Foreworld Saga, a collaborative series unlike any other that will enthrall fans of fantasy, martial arts, and historical fiction.
    The Foreworld medieval adventure saga was actually born out of swordfighting. Stephenson and the other authors are avid practitioners of Western martial arts and they are part of an enthusiastic study group in Seattle. io9.com reports that Stephenson realized that the descriptions of swordfighting in his novels would have been much better with contributions from people with fighting expertise. Thus the idea for a saga about the complex, bloody history of Western martial arts was born, featuring Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear, Mark Teppo, E.D. deBirmingham, Joseph Brassey, Erik Bear, and Cooper Moo.
    The first novel to be released in the saga, THE MONGOLIAD: BOOK ONE (47North; May publication; On-sale: April 24, 2012; $14.95 trade paperback; $9.99 digital), is an epic-within-an-epic, taking place in 13th century. In it, a small band of warriors and mystics raise their swords to save Europe from a bloodthirsty Mongol invasion. Inspired by their leader (an elder of an order of warrior monks), they embark on a perilous journey and uncover the history of hidden knowledge and conflict among powerful secret societies that had been shaping world events for millennia.
    But the saga unfolds on a truly grand scale for it comes to the modern world via a circuitous route. In the late 19th century, Sir Richard F. Burton, an expert on exotic languages and historical swordsmanship, is approached by a mysterious group of English martial arts aficionados about translating a collection of long-lost manuscripts. Burton dies before his work is finished, and his efforts were thought lost until recently rediscovered by a team of amateur archaeologists in the ruins of a mansion in Trieste, Italy. From this collection of arcana, the incredible tale of The Mongoliad was recreated.
    More than just a story, The Mongoliad is an sweeping narrative firmly rooted in history, taking readers back to a time when Europeans thought that the Mongol Horde was about to destroy their world-and it was up to the exploits of one small band of mystics and warriors to turn the tide of history.
    Full of high adventure, unforgettable characters, and unflinching battle scenes, The Mongoliad ignites a dangerous quest where willpower and blades are tested and the scope of world-building is redefined.

Click on the link to see the trailer, which does feature some (and I mean some) swordplay.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/12/2012 12:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep: the Mongoliad was just the first installment of what is planned as a huge, multi-media/format "universe" of stories, all focused on WMA.

Stay tuned ...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/25/2012 8:46pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I joined the Mongoliad website right when it started but got too busy with graduate school and drifted off and my membership expired. I do remember, however, that the writing was strong and compelling and there were some great fight scenes. It seemed to be fairly grounded in history (e.g. the mongols really did have to stop the invasion to elect a new Khan back in the homeland or whatever). Some great and very well-described duelling scenes and good artwork too. According to my KINDLE, it will also be released in book form, but is really meant to be a multi-media, audience participatory sort of blend of fiction and fan-fiction. Looking forward to it!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 12:41am

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I normally prefer my books as books, but it does sound like a interesting idea. I'd just like to know from those here that have read it, is it any good?

I see on Amazon there is a book edition which may be the better read.

The Mongoliad has been restructured, edited, and rewritten under the supervision of its authors to create a more cohesive reading experience and will be published as a trilogy of novels. This edition is the definitive edition and is the authors' preferred text.
    The online serialized original sounds a little chaotic, how much would I be missing out if skip the online mixed media version?

Here's the Collector's edition: http://www.amazon.com/Mongoliad-Coll...mm_hrd_title_0

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 6:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The online version has some supplementary video material - interviews with some of the authors, fight research for the action scenes, etc. - fan art, forum discussion on a per chapter basis, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2012 7:56pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just bought a copy. Will happily post a review when I finish reading.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast