Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 10:05am

Style: Half-assery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is where the appeal to tradition comes in, status quo and all that. Sadly, alcohol and smoking are treated differently due to how ingrained they are in our society. I agree that steroids are less dangerous in proper use but you can't treat them as the same when one is witch-hunted and the other is considered an, almost, mandatory part of growing up.
    Last edited by Rath; 6/24/2010 10:10am at .

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post
    This is where the appeal to tradition comes in, status quo and all that. Sadly, alcohol and smoking are treated differently due to how ingrained they are in our society. I agree that steroids are less dangerous in proper use but you can't treat them as the same when one is witch-hunted and the other is considered an, almost, mandatory part of growing up.
    This is exactly my point. We do not enact this legislation for the sake of protecting our citizens, and any argument that we need to make steroids illegal because they are dangerous is a fallacy. A different kind of argument would be more successful, but illegal due to danger doesn't hold water.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/24/2010 9:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You think the law should be changed, support your claims.
    The Dept of Justice and the IOC (to name just two) disagree with you, sorry.
    Congress wanted to pass a law that would control steroids the same way as drugs like cocaine and heroin and they called experts from the D.E.A., the F.D.A. and the American Medical Association.

But they all testified that steroids should not be treated like illicit drugs. So Congress disregarded their experts and in 1990 they passed the Anabolic Steroid Control Act, turning non-medical users into federal drug criminals.
    -Bigger Stronger Faster*
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 12:48am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rath View Post

How DARE you bring durries and grog into this conversation, what were you thinking?!

This is between Russ, Emevas and that other wanker to sort out.

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 1:11am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is nothing to "sort out", emevas and TheRuss have the correct and have also backed it up. The other poster is just sticking to his guns because he thinks that public policy is equal to morality. It isn't. But that is what he bases his logic on: the government says it is wrong, therefore it is wrong.

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 5:43am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For info, in the UK, anabolic steroids are considered a class C drug. Class C drugs hold the following penalties.
    Offence
    Possession
    Magistrates - 3 months / 500 fine
    Crown - 2 years / unlimited fine
    Supply
    Magistrates - 3 months / 2000 fine
    Crown - 14 years / unlimited fine

These penalties only apply if you do not have a proper reason to posses them, like having a prescription.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 5:53am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For a reasonable rounded view on anabolics from Drugscope (a UK charity) have a look here:

http://www.drugscope.org.uk/resource...abolicsteroids

Spoiler:

Anabolic steroids
    Prevalence, effects and reasons for use
    What are anabolic steroids?

Anabolic steroids are a group of hormones which occur naturally in the body. They are responsible for growth, physical development and functioning of reproductive organs. In men the main hormone is testosterone which is also responsible for masculine features such as the growth of body hair and the deeper voice. Anabolic steroids also have a building effect on the body and increase muscle tissue.

Anabolic steroids have a limited medical use in the UK, mainly in the treatment of anaemia.

They are not to be confused with corticosteroids which are commonly used for a number of medical conditions.

In recent years anabolic steroids have been used non medically by bodybuilders, athletes and other sports people. They may come in tablet form and be taken orally, or in liquid form and prepared for injection.
    Prevalence

Use of anabolic steroids has rapidly increased in the UK in recent years. No one knows for sure how many users there are but some surveys show between 20 and 40 per cent of those attending some gyms use them. Those identified as using steroids include sports people, bodybuilders, doormen and security guards.

Many people who use anabolic steroids are 'self improvers'. They like to think of themselves as healthy and fit and getting ahead in the world. Even if they are injecting, they do not think of themselves as drug users, any more than somebody who regularly takes vitamin pills.

Young men are getting involved in taking steroids not for sporting purposes or competitive body building, but to improve their body image. There are some reports of 'reverse anorexia' - people thinking they can never be big enough.
    What should be done about steroid use?

No one seems sure what to do. The government have recently changed the law to increase the penalties for supplying steroids but possession for personal use is still not an offence. Some people want to go further and ban possession but other people say this would just push steroid use further underground and make it more dangerous.
    The injecting of steroids has also caused great concern. Injecting is the most dangerous way of taking drugs. A big dose may be taken in one go and injecting can lead to serious infection, especially hepatitis and HIV if injecting equipment is shared. Needle exchanges were originally set up to mainly help heroin injectors make sure they used clean injecting equipment and avoided sharing works. Some have now attracted many steroid users, up to a third of those using the service in some cases.

The response to the use of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in sport has led to widespread drug testing. Most people agree that taking drugs to gain an advantage is cheating, but some athletes say the situation has got out of hand so that they cannot even take something for a cold before a sporting event. It is also clear that there are ways of beating drug tests, either by using drugs that mask the presence of banned drugs like steroids, or other performance-enhancing drugs that are currently undetectable.
    History

Use of performance enhancing drugs has been going on ever since the Olympic Games of ancient Greece. Anabolic steroids were first used by athletes in the mid 1950s and by the 1960s their use was widespread.

They were banned by the International Olympic Committee in the 1970s, but this didn't stop their use and in the 1980s doping became a big issue at the Olympic games and other sporting events. Drug testing came into many sports and a number of famous athletes failed tests and were banned from competing. As drug testing became more sophisticated new ways were found to avoid being found positive.
    The law

Anabolic steroids are Prescription Only drugs under the Medicines Act. They can only be sold by a pharmacist on the presentation of a doctor's prescription. Anabolic steroids are also class C drugs under the Misuse of Drugs Act. It is not an offence to possess anabolic steroids for personal use as long as they are in a medicinal form and are not counterfeit. It is an offence to supply them. Therefore police tend to arrest for steroid possession only if they can prove the drugs are counterfeit or not in a medicinal form (and therefore not prescribed by a doctor). A small number of arrests and convictions are made on this basis each year.
    Effects/risks

Although medical experts disagree, on balance it seems that taking anabolic steroids combined with intensive training and a high protein diet builds body weight and increases the size of muscles. They also often make users feel more aggressive and competitive and better able to perform strenuous physical activity.

There are reports of regular users becoming physically violent and sexually abusive, in a fit of so called 'roid rage'. But whether those involved had violent tendencies in the first place is unclear.

"When you hear about steroid users getting into fights because of the drugs, they are mainly idiots. They are the idiots of society who want to cause trouble and steroids allow them to become even bigger idiots."

Quoted in Korkia and Stimson Anabolic Steroids use in Great Britain 1993.

Users often take steroids in multiple combinations and at much higher doses than would be prescribed medically. Some of the main risks include:
    Liver abnormalities and a rare form of hepatitis.
    Hypertension - steroids encourage the body to retain water and raise blood pressure.
    HIV and other infections if users inject and share injecting equipment.
    Stunted growth in young people.
    Changes in male reproductive system. Sperm output and quality is reduced and can take 6 months to return to normal. Sex drive may at first increase but then be lowered. Some men have also experienced over-development of their breast tissue.
    Changes in the female body.

Women report increased sex drive, menstrual problems and enlarged clitoris. They also run the risk of developing 'male' features such as growth of facial and body hair, deepening of the voice and decreased breast size. Once these happen they are usually irreversible even when steroid use stops.

Problems such as sleep disorders, confusion, depression and paranoia. These tend to lessen once steroid use is stopped.

"When I started I felt like superwoman. I felt I had superhuman strength and could run faster than ever. I was right and everyone else was wrong. This high feeling went on for about a month. Then I found I couldn't sleep and I felt really tired. I started drinking like I never have before. And I started to be violent towards friends. One time I screamed at my sister and punched her in the face. And I'm not normally a violent person".

Counterfeit steroids pose additional risks. Many are made without the controls of legitimate drugs, and so vary in purity and also safety. Like most illicit drugs, you can never be sure of what is in them. Because steroids users often inject their drugs, sometimes in large quantities over a long period of time, they bypass their body's natural defences to impurities and infections and run considerable risks. Counterfeits also vary in strength, which again can affect the safety of short and long-term use.

Whilst not regarded as drugs of physical dependence regular steroid use can lead to psychological dependence when the user is convinced they cannot perform well without being on drugs. Some users say they feel lacking in energy and depressed after stopping steroids and continue to use them rather than face these symptoms.

Updated October 2006

I particularly like this quote about roid rage:

"When you hear about steroid users getting into fights because of the drugs, they are mainly idiots. They are the idiots of society who want to cause trouble and steroids allow them to become even bigger idiots."

Quoted in Korkia and Stimson Anabolic Steroids use in Great Britain 1993.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 11:17am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole 'roid rage thing is overinflated grossly, but it's not without a modicum of truth.

To understand it, you have to realize that abuse, or even proper use, it will sometimes put a grown man on his menses. That is, it will give him something like PMS.

Drugs which do this are very crude, and there are many which don't.

But, you put menses to an already delicate, macho ego, and you're going to get a very dangerous freak-out artist. Like a woman with super strength and a penchant for physical aggression.

The steroid which has this effect the most? Estradiol. (Ladies birth control pills.)

Number two? Cortisone (A common anti-inflammatory drug.)

Neither will give you muscles, but both are widely, widely prescribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/25/2010 8:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON View Post
    Cortisone (A common anti-inflammatory drug.)
    The (anecdotal) information I have about cortisone is that:
    1) the injections can do a lot of damage to joints,
    2) widespread abuse takes place in elite athletics, and
    3) because they didn't help Ben Johnson beat Carl Lewis in Seoul, everyone's somehow okay with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    6/26/2010 12:11am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    The (anecdotal) information I have about cortisone is that:
    1) the injections can do a lot of damage to joints,
    2) widespread abuse takes place in elite athletics, and
    3) because they didn't help Ben Johnson beat Carl Lewis in Seoul, everyone's somehow okay with this.
    They're actually a catabolic class of steroids, if you can believe that. Side effects include psoriasis, suppression of the immune system, anxiety, loss of muscle tissue, depression, fat gain (especially in the face and back,) and tremors.

It's also an extremely important life-saving drug for asthmatics and a few other disorder. I can't fathom it being any kind of abused drug. It's horrible, horrible ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 81415161718 19 LastLast