Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 5:06pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ADM, I've followed the thread since it's start (because I am meant to be interviewing Ken Shamrock soon). I know we aren't talking about weed, we are talking about PEDs specifically steroids. My points have been made by other posters, emevas in particular. Saying that there are already dangerous drugs that are legal so we shouldn't add any more is lazy, if you really want to crusade against dangerous drugs aim for the criminalization of cigarettes and alcohol, not halt the legalization and therefore regulation of steroids (or weed) which are proven to have therapeutic qualities.

Regulation goes further than criminalization for a variety of reasons.

I would have no problem with a "modified" division in sport. It would be a trip to have a modified and natural championship bout, especially if the natural can win which isn't out of the scope of possibility.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    I heard about the following study on the UG.

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejour...055/s-2000-304
    Without knowing the weight classes of the population control group, it'd be hard to say. Additionally, was the population control group participating in training that paralleled the powerlifters? I mean, there are a ton of variables here, that without isolating, it'd be hard to place on just steroids.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, of course. There's no way that study even comes close to proving causation between steroids and the abnormally high death rate in the powerlifters. In addition to what you said, there's not even any proof they were on 'roids! lol Nevertheless, it does seem to show exactly what one would expect, based on other anecdotal evidence, of a group of men competing in a... shall we say, steroid prone sport. Hence it is interesting and relevant to the discussion at hand. And it is, at least, some evidence of the possible harmful long term effects of roid usage, which is why I put it as a response to your quote.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 9:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Oh, of course. There's no way that study even comes close to proving causation between steroids and the abnormally high death rate in the powerlifters. In addition to what you said, there's not even any proof they were on 'roids! lol Nevertheless, it does seem to show exactly what one would expect, based on other anecdotal evidence, of a group of men competing in a... shall we say, steroid prone sport. Hence it is interesting and relevant to the discussion at hand. And it is, at least, some evidence of the possible harmful long term effects of roid usage, which is why I put it as a response to your quote.
    Really, i'd say powerlifting itself is a major variable. A lot of powerlifters folloe horrible diets for the sake of gaining weight, and powerlifting gear itself can be a major factor with blood pressure due to how constrictive it is. Factor in constantly lifting heavy weights, sniffing amonia, and constantly training while injured, and its not necessarily a recipe for longevity. Its just like prowrestlers having a high mortality rate. Could steroids be a factor? Possibly, but even without steroids, its a rough lifestyle.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hardwork only gets you so far.

Not everyone is a gifted athlete with genetic blessing and exceptional training resources. People use PED's to get ahead. Always have.

Some people beat the system, never get caught and retire. Others juice once, get busted and suffer the indignity of being labeled as a 'cheat' whilst they try and salvage their career.

Do steriods ruin the game/sport/competition? Maybe, maybe not.

Should all users be 'Named and Shamed'? Maybe, maybe not.

Should all sports have a level playing field without the possibility of a variances? **** no.

I wanna see men run the 100 metres in 9.0 flat. I wanna see pro boxers punch peoples heads clean off. I wanna see rugby union players eat young children as they score 19 tries.I wanna see wrestlers with 25 inch necks and 30 inch biceps.

Why? Why fucken not??

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:28am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The steroid debate reminds me, due to the current soccer World Cup (Aussies call it soccer as well, my American friends, we have as little, if not less, interest in the sport), of Hitchhikers GTTG (I think) and the genetically mutated goalie for Scotland in the World Cup who was just a rectangle piece of flesh blocking the goal. Strangely, they still couldn't advance through the semi's.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:29am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a tenuous connection, I admit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    The steroid debate reminds me, due to the current soccer World Cup (Aussies call it soccer as well, my American friends, we have as little, if not less, interest in the sport), of Hitchhikers GTTG (I think) and the genetically mutated goalie for Scotland in the World Cup who was just a rectangle piece of flesh blocking the goal. Strangely, they still couldn't advance through the semi's.

Completely irrelavant, but here is a picture of my dog. And yes, he is juicing. Alot.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:49am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *irrelevant

That dog looks perfectly natural to me. Are you sure he is just not taking energy supplements?

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 5:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I know some Senators who will want to question that dog!
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 12131415 ... LastLast