Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    Brazilian JiuJiitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Private Lesson Questions

Hey guys, back again. I was thinking about taking some private lessons for muay thai, as its not offered too often or is somewhat packed at my bjj school pn the classes 2 times a week...i feel i need more time to develope any decent skills.

so some of my questions are, how many private lessons do you think would be effective ? like is 5, 1 hour classes enough to get a good bases down to understand some principle techniques more? or is it worth it to shell out the money for more? or are 1/2 hour private lessons long enough ? Just curious as to how many lessons would noticbly improve your game. Another question is how much is a reasonable ammount to pay for lessons ? (on long island)

any information would be great, ive been reading arround all over, and it seems the majority feel as though private lessons are deffinitly worth it, if you can afford them (unfortunitly i cant afford to many, thats why im wondering if im only able to afford 3-5, is it worth it?) Thanks !

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you kind of answered your own question. Balance your funds with quality of instruction and your ability to learn. I wouldn't buy a whole bunch of private lessons from the start. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, but you don't want to discover that you and the instructor aren't a fit and you have a bunch of prepaid classes. Maybe try a few sessions and then decide if you want to pay ahead for a bunch of them (I'm assuming the place you are considering offers discounts for bulk purchase of PT?)

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your experience level in Muay Thai?

Style
    Brazilian JiuJiitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    gotcha, yeah i know who would be training me, deffinitly teaches in a way i like to learn, he comes from my schools affiliate school to teach, they have a good rep arround here. And my experience is very low, almost none hah. I just thaught it would be a good idea to get a good head start to avoid getting bad habbits you know?

And yeah, its a little chaper if you get package deals, so i suppose my main question is how many lessons do you think is good to start off with to get a decent ammount of training in? Im thinking that although 1 may help, it isnt enough for what i want to get out of it. I just wanted some opinions on if you guys think that say 5 instead of 3 , one hour sessions makes a big difference? or if i should be looking to take more then that down the line? just any general information would help.

but as you stated, i guess most of that stuff all depends on how quick i pick things up haha. But if anyone does want to throw out what they have seen or think is a reasonable ammount for private lessons in MT to cost, that would also be great

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    25-50 and hour or a class seems around average for skilled instruction/labor but its highly dependent on your area and the credentials of the instructor....as well as how much he is going 'out of his way' to give you private lessons.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    25-50 an hour is cheap, imo. i charge 65, and even that isnt much. but it all depends on your target audience.

Style
    Brazilian JiuJiitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys, so alex, since you give lessons, whats the average for how many sessions it takes for someone to pick up a decent ammount of knowledge or atleast of the basics to give them a little bit of an edge? Or does that depend entirely on the person and there rly isnt an average number? any info along those lines would be greatly appreciated

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually advise a student to put about 50-100 hours of training in (minimum) before worrying about private lessons. I've always viewed private training as a way to polish not build. Your better off financially going with classes and practicing those tools on your own to get started. But if money is not an issue private lessons are a fine way to go.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    I usually advise a student to put about 50-100 hours of training in (minimum) before worrying about private lessons. I've always viewed private training as a way to polish not build. Your better off financially going with classes and practicing those tools on your own to get started. But if money is not an issue private lessons are a fine way to go.
    Good point. The only time I would recommend private lessons as a main source of training is for extraordinary circumstances. One person I know, for example, lived five or six hours from my teacher and only wanted to learn from him. So he came down a few times a month for private lessons. His rank progression was/is slow, but he is already running his own gym in another art.

Other than that, I've done private lessons to polish up for black belt level examinations. Other I know have done it to focus on a particular weakness they have. The point being that it is usually not necessary to learn the most basic stuff, one on one, from the head instructor. You don't want to be burning precious minutes trying to figure out left from right (something people tend to forget when they start in the martial arts), or what different basic things are called. If you wait at least a few months of regular training/exposure you will likely get more out of your private lessons. But again, there are always exceptions.

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this is because 90% of martial arts instructors have NFI wha tthey are doing when it comes to one on one teaching, because their qualification (if you can call it that) is that they have learned a martial art. big deal, mike tyson knows how to box but i would bank on him being a shitty teacher. teaching MA is like teaching anything else- the content is irrelevant if you don't know

a) how to respond to different personalities in a way they will appreciate
    b) how to TEACH as opposed to how to SHOW
    c) how to have an eye for detail
    d) how to be patient

point b being the biggest problem i always see simply because they learned with the method that worked for them may not work with others.

i would say PT sessions can be useful regardless of skill level. getting them early will make sure none of the bad habits that get picked up in group classes rear their ugly heads. i have guys ive trained for a few months whos basics when it comes to distancing, defense and footwork are better than guys i know who have been in it for years.

and on the flipside, i get a private session once a week with my coach just to polish my game, and work on advanced aspects of the clinch etc.

Thanks guys, so alex, since you give lessons, whats the average for how many sessions it takes for someone to pick up a decent ammount of knowledge or atleast of the basics to give them a little bit of an edge? Or does that depend entirely on the person and there rly isnt an average number? any info along those lines would be greatly appreciated
    it really does depend a huge amount on the student. some people pick it up straight away, others require longer. some people require a LOT of work. the range of peoples ability to pick up new techniques varies so much that even now it sometimes shocks me.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last