Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 8:19pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No-one else has mentioned this so i will chime in. The "fight fit conditioning" class?? i would probably not go there just yet. Get used to the cardio required for the kickboxing class and bjj classes first. They're quite diff fitness requirements. The conditioning type classes tend to be fuckin killers that can hve ppl puking by the end (in the ones i've been to) if they/you are not already at a good/appropriate fitness level. Judo fitness is NOT Kickboxing fitness.

Balls 'n All approach is not an approach if you want longevity outta the gym. Chill out,roll often,don't spaz and MUST WIN ARGGHHH,and as always??? enjoy yaself.If it aint fun then you might have just wasted ya moneys.

Posted On:
    6/12/2010 8:37pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KiwiPhil889 View Post
    No-one else has mentioned this so i will chime in. The "fight fit conditioning" class?? i would probably not go there just yet. Get used to the cardio required for the kickboxing class and bjj classes first. They're quite diff fitness requirements. The conditioning type classes tend to be fuckin killers that can hve ppl puking by the end (in the ones i've been to) if they/you are not already at a good/appropriate fitness level. Judo fitness is NOT Kickboxing fitness.
    When I sign up there later this week, I will ask how the fight fit conditioning classes are run. I was unsure whether or nor they would be killer classes for their top fighters, like you mentioned, or if they also offer basic workout routines for noobs like me as well. I will let you know the answer when I go there this week.

Balls 'n All approach is not an approach if you want longevity outta the gym. Chill out,roll often,don't spaz and MUST WIN ARGGHHH,and as always??? enjoy yaself.If it aint fun then you might have just wasted ya moneys.

Yeah I definitely will do my best not to spaz, and am doing this for the fun of it as well. I always make sure I go into my martial arts classes without an ego, to make sure I am in the right mood to learn, and not show up to try and prove stupid bullcrap.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 7:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found what worked best in BJJ, in addition to all the other comments, are to ask questions. When you start rolling with guys, they'll usually take it a bit easy, give you a chance to move or attempt an escape, then proceed to just keep doing their thing until you tap.

When they give you that chance, if you know the escape, go for it; if you have no idea what the hell to do, ask...but don't spend the whole time talking, short quick questions: How do I turn? Where should I put my hand, foot, etc.? Then don't ask another question for a while...over the weeks and months they'll add up anyway.

Or ask right after you tap: what's the escape or how do I defend that?

There are better guys to ask than others, take your time, figure out the ones that are happy to answer a question and help you out, that roll with new guys at a relaxed pace. And also give yourself a chance to see what gets you stuck most, and ask about that.

I still ask higher ranks stuff while we roll...usually when they've got me in some kind of arm lock or a choke that's not on yet "is there any way out of this" I ask...they'll tell me what I should have done, then point out that at this stage I'm screwed and tap me...everyone has a good time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 12:47pm

Style: BJJ/MT/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be friendly. Work hard to the best of your ability. Listen to what your teachers are telling you, even if it's for the 1000th time. Learn from everybody, even those you are better than. Everyone has something to teach you. Treat your classmates as your teammates. Have fun !

As far as the ego thing goes. I've come to realise the whole "leave your ego at the door" thing is not fully accurate ( we have a sign that says that on our wall ). It implies the ego is something we can simply discard as long as we want to. Really, unless you are some kind of Buddha, your ego will always follow you around. It will show up when you are getting your ass handed to you and also when you are giving someone else hell. It will show up when you are showing a technique to someone and they say "but what if I just do this ?" and you don't really know the answer. It's about how you deal with it. Do you allow your ego to control your actions, or do you take the more difficult, but honest route, which is to humble yourself ( be honest about what you do and don't know ) and therefore open yourself up to deeper learning ?

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 2:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    expect to be worse before you get better. your judo and tkd wil work better than the bjj and mt on your first day. this is not because you have more knowledge but because you are more cormfortable. Dont fall into the trap of trying to use them or convert their techniques. learn their stuff their way.
    i'm learning the hard way not to reverse engineer TKD. i have been making it work, but guys who have trained WAAAAAAYYYYYY less time than me are just as good if not better than i am. now i'm the oldest guy there trying to keep up with the teens. your best bet is to try to forget your TKD experience all together and just start from scratch.

you are already comfortable with newaza and alive training, so just keep a good student mentality.

no gi grappling is a whole different world. i find i'm much better at it, while others find grappling with a gi to be more there speed. remember that things that worked at the judo club might not work in this environment, at least not at first anyway. keep your eyes and ears open and you'll be fine.
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 6:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ tip number 1. Breathe and relax. You're not controlling a person by trying to squeeze crush them.
    2. Passing guard isn't about throwing their legs and diving forward. Nor is it about running around it.
    3. BREATHE!!!

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 7:07pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    2. Passing guard isn't about throwing their legs and diving forward. Nor is it about running around it.
    My go-to guard pass:

Works every time.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    My go-to guard pass:

Works every time.
    +rep
    That's also my favorite half guard sweep...

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 8:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my half guard sweep looks kind of like that.......
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by it is fake View Post
    yeah, normally i'd get a quote, but couldn't be bothered.

Posted On:
    6/13/2010 10:41pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol. Thanks for all the replies, and will keep them in mind for this Wednesday.

Sincerely,

ZoA.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast