--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this a reputable judo school?

Is this is a Mcdojo?

Style
    Weight Training
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved from School Review forums. Thanks to IIF for reporting it.

Original post information:
    Cost (per session/week/month/year)
    $80
    Full Contact Fight Team?
    No
    Kids Classes?
    Yes
    School's Website
    rrma.net/judo.shtml
    School Address
    Round Rock TX
    http://www.rrma.net/judo.shtml
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rank Belt Minimum Training Required*
    ROKYU white 2 months (techniques only)
    GOKYU yellow 3 months (techniques only)
    YONKYU orange 4 months (techniques/randori)
    SANKYU green 5 months (including randori/newaza in class)
    NIKYU blue 6 months (including randori/newaza in class)
    IKKYU brown 1 year (including competition - longer without competition)

WTF? No randori until orange belt and not even newaza? As well as Shodan in two years? with only at least "4 hours per week in judo?". This sounds like sloppy advancement.

VI-X Dan: Demonstrate superiority in shiai within the following guidelines (all applicants will shiai consecutively against 6 different shodans or judokas with equivalent experience, for 5 minutes each):
    Dan Name Minimum Age Skill - Shiai while using:
    VI ROKUDAN 38 only one hand
    VII SHICHIDAN 45 no hands
    VIII HACHIDAN 53 both hands and "blindfolded"
    IX KUDAN 62 only one hand and "blindfolded"
    X JUDAN 72 no hands and "blindfolded"

And wtf is this? No hands and blind folded? How the hell do you do judo with no hands or one hand in SHIAI no less.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keke View Post
    Rank Belt Minimum Training Required*
    ROKYU white 2 months (techniques only)
    GOKYU yellow 3 months (techniques only)
    YONKYU orange 4 months (techniques/randori)
    SANKYU green 5 months (including randori/newaza in class)
    NIKYU blue 6 months (including randori/newaza in class)
    IKKYU brown 1 year (including competition - longer without competition)

WTF? No randori until orange belt and not even newaza? As well as Shodan in two years? with only at least "4 hours per week in judo?". This sounds like sloppy advancement.
    It doesn’t say that you won’t do randori until orange belt, it says that the “minimum training required” does not include randori. It sounds a bit funny, but my reading of it is that for the junior kyu ranks, only techniques are relevant to grading (though you’ll presumably do more).

And minimum times do not necessarily bear a close relationship to real advancement times. At my own Gracie Barra BJJ school, there’s a diagram on the wall listing all the minimum required times. Apparently, you need a minimum of eight months to reach blue belt. Maybe you can do that if you’re really good. I’m not really good at all; I just got my blue belt after about twenty-eight months. (At that pace, a rank with a minimum time of two years would take seven years to attain.)

I’m not saying the school is good, I have no clue. But sometimes a minimum really is a minimum and there’s nothing solid in the above that justifies condemning them.

VI-X Dan: Demonstrate superiority in shiai within the following guidelines (all applicants will shiai consecutively against 6 different shodans or judokas with equivalent experience, for 5 minutes each):
    Dan Name Minimum Age Skill - Shiai while using:
    VI ROKUDAN 38 only one hand
    VII SHICHIDAN 45 no hands
    VIII HACHIDAN 53 both hands and "blindfolded"
    IX KUDAN 62 only one hand and "blindfolded"
    X JUDAN 72 no hands and "blindfolded"

And wtf is this? No hands and blind folded? How the hell do you do judo with no hands or one hand in SHIAI no less.
    With great difficulty, I imagine. Indeed, you’d have to vastly outclass your opponent to dominate them using just your hand. Which, presumably, is exactly the point—they want rokudans to vastly outclass shodans. As for no hands—well, that’s pretty out there, but it’s also for the rank of judan, which is supposed to be a very, very exceptional achievement. And it doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to be able to sweep or trip or throw; maybe it’s sufficient to demonstrate that you can avoid all threats by good sabaki, or something.

Once again, I’m not saying that this school is good. Maybe it is. Maybe it isn’t. I don’t know. What I’m saying is merely that while you seem to hold this up with the implication that it’s clearly bullshit, that implication can be safely dismissed.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Competition results are easy enough to check out.

Here are the 2001 World Masters results, Sensei Matl did indeed receive silver.

His Civil Engineering PhD is phooey though, Brentwick University is not an accredited institution. That doesn't necessarily reflect on his Judo, but I wouldn't let the fucker near the foundations of your house, if you know what I mean.

So yeah, more than likely the Judo is good.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh you're right. I did misread the belt ranking. I assumed that was their training. They did techniques only at the yellow belt and that randori at orange was required to rank. Anyways I'm still skeptical about the "no hands" and "blind folded" deal though.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blindfolded doesn’t perplex me so much, since by all accounts there are some people who are excellent at judo although actually blind. I believe the rules of blind judo require them to start touching (or, rather, start with an orthodox grip), but still, this should tell us that sight really isn’t essential to judo.

“No hands” is the only thing that strikes me as truly odd.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blind folded I can dig, don't knock it until you've tried it.

No hands... well I can imagine theoretically how that could work, sort of. It's taking it a bit too far IMO though.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My teacher has us drill ashi waza occasionally with no hands. Granted, at my level of ability this is for training on timing of sweeps and generating kuzushi with out using upper-body power, and I don't randori hands-free.

If you're conceiving this "no-hands" judo as necessarily being similar to claims of "no hands knockouts" and "ki fireballs" you're thinking of it wrong. Rather, envision practicing kuzushi using rhythm and lower-body displacement to off-balance, enter and throw. Doing it during shiai is waaaaay beyond me at this point, of course.

I can see that some people may be curious by the wording on this website, but i would love a chance to work out at this club, and with no worries of it being a mcdojo from what i've seen here.

Any word from anyone who's studied or played with Sensei Matl?

edit: removed superfluous quoting of Lu Tze, with whom i've got no contention. no quotation needed :)

Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    Moved from School Review forums. Thanks to IIF for reporting it.

Original post information:

http://www.rrma.net/judo.shtml
    I've heard good things about Zdenek Matl, apparently his leg throws & sweeps are totally sick. Using tai sabaki for kuzushi before (and after) being grabbed to set up the leg throws is probably an important aspect of their training at higher levels, hence the no-hand/blindfold techniques. Just a gut feeling, but if this is Sensei Zdenek's specialty, then it'd probably be a VERY good place to train, at least the Judo and Aikijutsu.

Quote Originally Posted by http://tomikiaikido.blogspot.com
    Zdenek Matl Sensei 8th Dan judo, 7th Dan ju-jitsu. Mr. Matl's Judo is based on the classical style of Judo taught at the Kodokan Institute in Japan. In addition, his system includes recent technical improvements brought to Judo from other Martial Arts and competitive Judo...
    Mr. Matl's system includes all of the techniques of classical Judo. His teaching emphasizes leg techniques, ground fighting, and techniques for unbalancing an opponent. Mr. Matl's system is taught in an informal setting and emphasizes the use of safe practice techniques. Mr Matl has made some major innovations to the Kodokan system. His throws are safe, simple, low power and extremely effective.
    My personal note! Round Rock martial arts is THE place to learn Judo, Jujitsu or ground fighting in the Austin area. Mr Matl is the teacher's teacher in the Austin area. Whether you are looking for traditional jujitsu, judo, or looking to add more effectiveness to your aikido techniques - Matl Sensei is the teacher! I myself try to travel up to Round Rock once a week or so to train with Matl's judo group and Hussey's aikido group - in the same location. Recently I did a shiai match with Mr Matl and he threw me 40 times. I almost got him once. Almost....

Here's some more info from another site (still could need some verification, Judo folks here shouldn't have a problem with it considering his rank)
    Quote Originally Posted by http://open.salon.com/blog/rich_banks/2009/06/16/kicking_my_own_ass
    ...I am anything but at my best now, but I am, nevertheless, a senior student in Zdenek Matl's school. Zdenek was recently awarded his 9th Dan rank by the Kodokan, the Japanese institute of Judo. His Judo is European style, not traditional, and he eschews much of the pomp and ritual associated with the Kodokan. So, it is saying a lot that a group of Japanese Judokas practiced with him, listened to him lecture about his techniques, and later chose to confer on him this rank....
    Hell, if he's for real & I had the money I'd frequent all of his clinics. From what I've seen, leg throws/sweeps are the main equalizer for larger opponents, maybe that's why he chose to focus on these techniques.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 6/12/2010 3:49am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Page 1 of 2 12 Last