Hell yeah! Hell no!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 7:12am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overbite/underbite won't make much difference on a double guard unless it is an extreme condition. They have a good bit of space in them before molding to adjust for that sort of thing.

This has always been my favorite brand of double guard:
    http://www.brainpads.com/index.php?o...d=44&Itemid=54

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kcvmac View Post
    OP, how's your blood pressure; do you eat before fights, do you smoke? And your metabolism?
    In my experience, people with high blood pressure are really easy to knock out, and people with low blood pressure tire out & are prone to faint from exhaustion (but hard to choke/strike out).
    If it's worrying you, ask your doctor to run some tests. It can be a sign something's outta whack, or a bloodpressure pill can change your whole game.
    I don't smoke, I have a high metabolism, and the nurse who checked me out at my last fight said I had good blood pressure.

Maofas, regarding my nose.... yeah. It got broken in my last fight, and it's been a bit sensitive since then. I got caught on the bridge of the nose with a left hook a few weeks ago, and I think it re-broke something in there.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    6/16/2010 11:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a more technical note, probably a large part of your inability to take punches (or not take punches) is your stance and where your head is at. Make sure your weight is centered with plenty of pressure on your rear foot. This will effectively position your head/chin farther back. People have the natural tendency to have a bit of a forward lean to their stance (particularly when punching) which puts your head directly above your lead leg and makes it an easy target and completely negates any real ability to "roll with the punches".

I would say rather than worrying too much about strengthening your neck, work way more on footwork, improving your mobility and head movement and just plain being harder to hit. With out question, good solid boxing footwork training will be the best way by far to keep from getting rocked.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Posted On:
    7/10/2011 11:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Inayan Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, ive got a glass jaw and something Ive used to help this out is: bite into a towel...tie it through a weight plate...many neck strengtheing ideas from this...

or just bite the towel as youre doing sit ups...pull yourself up by your arms...

I am ALL for all previous statements regarding head posture and footwork...seriously though...your breathing is a big piece of this. Consider the capacity your target has to hit you and when in range...thats when to clench down hard...let yourself breathe in easily when out of distance...you probably already knew that, but thought Id throw it in there...thanks.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 10:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McClaw, you're tall aren't you? My boxing coach was telling me how generally you need to be stocky to take a really really good punch.

I'm stocky but I can't seem to take THAT good of a punch. I've remained standing after a few good very wide swings but it slowed me down and buckled me. These were shots to the hard part of my head.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/11/2011 10:49pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, I do have high blood pressure for my age, maybe thats why. I'm not really glass jawed but I'm definitely not tough for a guy that looks like me (big head stocky body).
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    7/20/2011 5:30am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you can really change your ability to take a punch to the head. The more you get hit and KO you actually deteriorate, look at liddle and silve for example. To the nose and body most definitely. By the way when i asked the anatomy professor way back in med school what was the mechanism of a KO, he said it was the "pain" Jesus what a moron... there is a big hole in medical science regarding sports im afraid. In any case i think that the hinges of the jaw protrude a bit into the skull and get close to the brain fluid and compresses it causing a blackout.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 3:11am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Wow, I do have high blood pressure for my age, maybe thats why. I'm not really glass jawed but I'm definitely not tough for a guy that looks like me (big head stocky body).
    Hey, it's my thread. Hi thread.
    Yeah, I'm quite tall and lanky - I'm 5'11-6'0, walk around at 155-165 and fight closer to 145.
    Since I'm reopening this thread anyway: over the past summer, I did a ****-ton of training to come out of retirement (so to speak) for MMA, with fantastic results.
    In the course of training, we did a lot of 10 minute gauntlet rounds (rotating in a new opponent every 1-2 minutes), in which I got to experience whole new levels of being punched in the head. I was trying to focus on not letting the **** getting beat out of me bother me, and I found that with intense concentration, I could sometimes at least shoot a sloppy double leg as my battered husk of a body fell to the ground.
    So, progress, I guess?
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2011 8:51am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Nice work.

An old boxing coach swore by an easy and fairly effective neck-strengthening body weight exercise:
    - lie in press-up position with something under you chin to take your weight (I use a couple of thick books with a folded towel on top, for comfort. the books are Gray's Anatomy and the Complete Works of Shakespeare, in case you were wondering)
    - slowly lift your hands off the floor so your neck's taking all your weight.
    - hold for as long as you can.

Gradually build up the time you hold it for, and you'll see a decent increase in neck strength/muscle size.
    Do the same exercise but in side-plank position to condition the sides of your neck.

Does it make any difference to punch resistance? **** knows, but what harm can it do? If nothing else a strong neck's a handy thing to have for defence against chokes in certain positions.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast