Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 9:57am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Defeating someone's posture in guard

Hey guys, one of my real big stalling points is when the guy postures up in my guard and has both hands on my stomach. What can you do when he's really solid there? Should you focus on getting one of his arms away and start attacking that?

I spoke to my instructor about this. He said you have to start mixing stuff to open him up. Try to go for a flower sweep maybe so he'll base then when he does, take that arm etc.

Looking forward to hearing all of your opinions on this topic! :icon_idea

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 10:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 11:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That Brown belt is missing some key points like -if somebody has your belt and has good posture you won't be able to sit up.

I can't say enough to tell you not to listen to that instruction.

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 12:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I usually break them down emotionally first. Here's something else I found poking around that starts from the same position.

YouTube- BJJ Instruction: Under-Hook Sweep from Guard 01

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 12:11pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those videos are a great resource. Very nice tips.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 12:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That first video is terrible too. Ryno? Seriously? Really? I'm out of here guys. Blind leading the blind in this forum.

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 12:53pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't offering any of the videos as being the definitive word on the subject, I was just offering them up so that they might give the OP some new ideas. Sorry if any of them were sub par. I'll refrain from posting any others.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/11/2010 2:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When dealing with somebody just sitting postured up, I try to focus on three things:

- Disrupt their base
    - Arm drag
    - Change angle

Keep your guard locked. Using your core, extend your knees past their hips to begin 'push' their base back behind them. Keep this forward pressure with your hips into them, maybe posting an elbow on the ground to help with the forward pressure. The point of this isn't to sweep because they will probably adjust before you can pull something off, but it forces them out of their strong posture position (disrupt their base). They MIGHT take a hand off of you to post behind them.

Attack their elbows (cup with your hand or under/over hook) and their grips (2-on-1 grip releases) while still pressuring forward with your hips.

With an arm drag or underhook, move yourself around them (while still pressuring into them). It is easier to cut an angle by moving yourself than to forcefully pull them off to the side. MOVE YOURSELF, NOT THEM.

This is what works for me an my game. I play a tight/low-space open guard game and use this to break down posture to start setting up my attacks.

Posted On:
    7/13/2010 1:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    When dealing with somebody just sitting postured up, I try to focus on three things:

- Disrupt their base
    - Arm drag
    - Change angle

Keep your guard locked. Using your core, extend your knees past their hips to begin 'push' their base back behind them. Keep this forward pressure with your hips into them, maybe posting an elbow on the ground to help with the forward pressure. The point of this isn't to sweep because they will probably adjust before you can pull something off, but it forces them out of their strong posture position (disrupt their base). They MIGHT take a hand off of you to post behind them.
    Attack their elbows (cup with your hand or under/over hook) and their grips (2-on-1 grip releases) while still pressuring forward with your hips.

With an arm drag or underhook, move yourself around them (while still pressuring into them). It is easier to cut an angle by moving yourself than to forcefully pull them off to the side. MOVE YOURSELF, NOT THEM.

This is what works for me an my game. I play a tight/low-space open guard game and use this to break down posture to start setting up my attacks.

Thank you for this advice; I'm usually helpless in this position. Does your guard have to be locked in order to pull this off? My short, thick legs are difficult to lock around an opponent even in ideal positions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 11:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    opening the elbows (pull outward) while pulling in with your legs can also help...

if you want a good resource, i suggest Rodrigo Medeiros' Essential Guard. I don't have the book with me (i left it @ my parents, in another country...), but i recall there is a whole section on breaking the posture.

Vorpal, would you mind posting the link to the video again? i wanna see what was so wrong with the vid...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast