Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Lots of Chinese styles have a Shaolin temple somewhere in their creation myth.

As for enlightenment, well, if you go around martial arts schools looking for that, you're much more likely to end up with something goofy involving expensive uniforms.
    Hahahaha that tear up easily.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 8:15pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the words of my Shifu, "**** the Shaolin".

Where are you located? Perhaps there are some schools in your area that we members here could recommend.
    安氏八极拳学生

Posted On:
    6/14/2010 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Currently I'm located in the Tri-City area of Tennessee. Though I'll be moving soon. I'm going to be training in Chattanooga for a few months. Then I could be placed in Atlanta GA, or Somewhere in SC, OH, or Alabama. The idea of trying a CMA over a Japanese martial art is interesting to me in general. As I said, I know very little of CMA, but if there is any type of CMA school in those areas that is good I would really appreciate recommendations!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 1:21pm

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Luzaf,

If you are looking for information regarding Chinese Martial arts in general, I would recommend checking out several authors:

Brian Kennedy and Elizabeth Guo

Ma Ming Da

Dr Stanley Henning

You can find some of Stan Henning's articles at : Seinenkai.com. Simply search for his name on their page to find an exhaustive reading list.

Maiar Shahar wrote a recent scholarly book about the temple itself, and its history.

Best of luck in your search!

And yeah, Judo rocks as an art and study. Consistent in its grading if part of the larger org.

Rob

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 7:57pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Luzaf View Post
    Currently I'm located in the Tri-City area of Tennessee. Though I'll be moving soon. I'm going to be training in Chattanooga for a few months. Then I could be placed in Atlanta GA, or Somewhere in SC, OH, or Alabama. The idea of trying a CMA over a Japanese martial art is interesting to me in general. As I said, I know very little of CMA, but if there is any type of CMA school in those areas that is good I would really appreciate recommendations!
    Well let us know when you finally settle somewhere, then maybe we can make some recommendations.
    安氏八极拳学生

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    6/15/2010 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the fact that you are going to be changing locations is an even bigger reason to stick with judo (cheap, widely available, fairly consistent between dojos) and then when you settle, try to find a good CMA teacher.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    6/17/2010 9:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    the fact that you are going to be changing locations is an even bigger reason to stick with judo (cheap, widely available, fairly consistent between dojos) and then when you settle, try to find a good CMA teacher.
    This was pretty much what I wanted to do. But I knew there was a lot of myth around Chinese martial arts, and was hoping to sort out what was real and what was a McDojo. I'll hit the forums up again after I finally settle down. Thanks for all the info guys.

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Traditional Shaolin kung-fu

Hi, i'm new on this site & i'm located in Montreal Quebec.I personally teach Traditional Shaolin kung-fu .What that means is direct teachings (which are forms taught in the shaolin temple),both traditional & wushu.The major differences between the 2 is that the wushu forms are for show purposes only(not self-defense) The traditional forms were made for defense purposes & have fa ching or explosive power & spring action in the punching & kicking.If this is what you're looking for ,your in luck.I don't know where you're located exactly but if you have any questions on our style & curriculum don't hesitate to send me a message .We have a website you can look at for more info & that's www.shaolincanada.ca.Thanks & take care
    I'm sorry if there is another post like this on the board (Which I'm sure somewhere there is at least one, if not more.). I do not mean to spam your board with repeat threads, but as my first thread, this is something I would like to discuss. I did Judo along with some other martial arts under T.R. McClanahan for 5 years, in that time he made me very weary about "McDojo" schools. Ever since a family move, i've found it hard finding a school that I'm really happy with or feel like they are really teaching me something worth while. For a while now I have been interested in learning the traditional Shaolin Kung Fu system (which from my understanding consists of 10 forms). By traditional, I mean no disrespect to any other form or school. I only wish to learn what was originally taught to the monks for the purpose of experiencing the enlightenment and form of the monks as more of a spiritual journey for myself than a martial journey. Although, the more I look into shaolin kung fu the more I find schools such as Sin The's Kung Fu-Do schools. I thought for a moment that I might have found something in Sifu Wing Lam's schools, but I also see a lot of McDojoness to his claims. Is there anyone left that practices this still?

Again, I do not mean to bring any disrespect to any school
    Last edited by shaolincanada; 6/21/2010 8:35pm at .

Posted On:
    6/21/2010 8:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shaolin kung-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HI, i failed to mention that if i understood correctly & no disrespect to any school.As far as traditional shaolin monk training or teachings go there are much more than 10 forms in the shaolin system.There are over 100 forms with & without weapons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2010 11:54am

Style: Northern Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are two books written by people who have studied at the modern Shaolin Temple as well as having had some traditional martial arts experience:

American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of Iron Crotch: An Odyssey in theNew China, by Matthew Polly

Shaolin Trips, by Gene Ching

And this one:

The Monk From Brooklyn: An American At The Shaolin Temple by Antonio Graceffo

The answer to the original poster was well stated by the following sentiment: There is no verified or 'true' traditional shaolin martial art which can stand scrutiny for validity. Even at the modern shaolin temple.

I stated elsewhere that martial arts history before 1900 is full of crap, smoke and mirrors and legend. That doesnt mean that your art didnt descend from 'teh shaolins' but it does mean that the likelyhood is small. The creation myth with shaolin should be looked at in that light: legendary and mythological. It can inspire people, but it doesnt mean its 100% true. Not at all.

As for being proud of a shaolin lineage, sure, you can do that too. Its perfectly fine to be happy with your creation myth.

www.seinenkai.com has some great articles you can read by Stanley Henning. One article in particular regards 'the giant with an iron staff' which is held as one of the origins of shaolin being famous for its staff techniques.

When that legend is examined in detail, it apparently links to real world events. The event was one of the times that the temple was in part burned down. Apparently by the temple kitchen cook in some kind of accidental fire. But a giant metal staff wielding guy fighting off bandits attacking the temple was a better PR move in those days.

I mean really "our cook burned our temple, please give generously" doesnt fill the coffers.

In fact, the one thing that I have read which shaolin can be deeply proud of was its staff techniques. Which apparently were so poor that one general conscripted several monks to take to war in order to force them to learn good technique and bring it back to the temple.

There is apparently a long and well written preserved document written by that general outlining his experience in the matter.

There is a legend about some monks assisting in anti piracy raids and learning sword techniques from the captured pirates.

Really...pirates..so close to ninja/pirate land that my discomfort meter rises. But that story has some historic voracity.

There are people, like the authors I list above, who have done some research and learned a great deal about what is 'most likely' real and what is 'most likely' not real.

Your best bet would be trying to figure out what it is your looking for, really nail down why shaolin and see if it even matters that it probably never existed in the fashion you probably visualize.

No matter what, caveat emptor and best of luck in your search. I will see if I can directly link to the pages with what I quoted above. If not, all apologies.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast