...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 9:48am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hey, I have lead in my blood

So, yesterday, I happened to be in the right place at the right time to get a free screening for lead in my blood. The booth had been set up mostly for testing at-risk children but when I told the nurse that I do shooting sports she offered to test me as well.

Turns out that I have a lead level of 5.7 micrograms per decileter. According to CDC guidelines you don't start to do anything about your lead level until 10 micrograms per decileter or more, so my level isn't considered dangerous per se, but most people who took the test without risk factors would have had only an undetectable level of lead.

The nurse suggested to me that when cleaning firearms I should wear gloves and a surgical mask to prevent inhalation of lead particles. I agreed with her given it would be easy and cheap to do that and it couldn't hurt.

I looked this stuff up afterwards on the CDC website and found that apparently cops often have occupational exposure to lead from handling ammunition. Also apparently someone manufactures wipes for your hands that remove lead.

So, I learned a lot about lead yesterday. I guess the moral of the story is that if you enjoy shooting sports that you should be aware of the level of lead in your bloodstream.:sniperdan
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 2:39pm

Style: Bowie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    So, I learned a lot about lead yesterday. I guess the moral of the story is that if you enjoy shooting sports that you should be aware of the level of lead in your bloodstream.:sniperdan
    The LGS+Range I go to has, as part of their Agreement Contract, a Section which stipulates that you wash your hands and face after range time (and then change and wash your cloths when you get home).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 4:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    ...when I told the nurse that I do shooting sports she offered to test me as well...

...The nurse suggested to me that when cleaning firearms I should wear gloves and a surgical mask to prevent inhalation of lead particles...
    I think this nurse deserves special recognition for not lecturing you on the dangers of firearm ownership.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I think this nurse deserves special recognition for not lecturing you on the dangers of firearm ownership.
    Indeed. It probably has a lot to do with the fact I live in Nevada.

In order to try and bring my lead level down over time, I have gone ahead and purchased some lead-removing wipes for me to use after shooting or cleaning.

http://www.skcinc.com/prod/763-001.asp

There's also a link to a lead detection kit that can be used on surfaces or on skin, so I bought that as well.

Hopefully by taking these steps, I can bring my absorption of lead way down.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    6/29/2010 9:03am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I"m more worried about breathing the solvent when I clean my firearms as the only place I have to clean them is my basement.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/01/2010 10:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed on that. I do all my cleaning outdoord.