Registered Member

Deep inside the intestine of a sperm whale

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 3:00pm

Style: Judo, ITF, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I am being sleep-deprived.
    And thankful for a diversion from my uni-work.

that is all.

Crikey.

[mental note: expressions of polite gratitude are interpreted as homosexual initiations. Cease immediately, be more crude]

*ahem* **** no!

[good job]

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 3:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what language do you study?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 3:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am just finishing a double major in Japanese and Mandarin.

I must admit that my Mandarin (especially spoken) is less than fantastic. Hence an all-nighter working on my Business Chinese study journal.

Still, next year, hopefully moving over to China. That should rectify the situation somewhat.

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 3:24pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post
    I am just finishing a double major in Japanese and Mandarin.

I must admit that my Mandarin (especially spoken) is less than fantastic. Hence an all-nighter working on my Business Chinese study journal.

Still, next year, hopefully moving over to China. That should rectify the situation somewhat.
    fucking hell....japanese AND mandarin?
    that must be exhausting.
    I understood that Japanese use (old/classical?) chinese characters or that weird writing they use for western informal stuff, but the languages are not alike at all.
    is that true?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, pretty much so. Chinese grammar, at a basic level, is more similar to English really. At least Japanese has the phonetic scripts though.. nothing more fustrating than being in a Chinese exam, knowing how to SAY a word, but not knowing how to write one or more of the characters, and thus being unable to write the damn thing down.
    It helped I could already speak Japanese pretty well before I started (at a casual level.. not that bloody Keigo nonsense!!), which meant I could skip ahead there and tackle the harder stuff while I was still doing just basic Chinese, and now I am at the higher end of the Chinese course all my Japanese stuff is well and truly finished.

Last year was a bit insane as I tried picking up Korean as an elective... three languages at once was not such a smart idea.

Be easier if I was rich and didn't have to work at the same time, but thems the breaks, it could be worse.

I figure with languages, its hard slog now to get it all down pat, then a lifetime of (relative) ease while people pay me to sit/stand around and just talk/read all day. Thats works pretty well by my reckoning (it will probably be nothing like that, but a man has to dream)

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 4:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post

I figure with languages, its hard slog now to get it all down pat, then a lifetime of (relative) ease while people pay me to sit/stand around and just talk/read all day. Thats works pretty well by my reckoning (it will probably be nothing like that, but a man has to dream)
    ^^^
    this is my main motivation for studying 6 days a week.
    im an arabic noob.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 5:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair call, how is Arabic as a language to study?

I have to admit, I really do envy people studying other languages, only in that as the alphabet is not as freakin huge (just how many thousands of characters and combinations do you goddamn need China? lol) you have a lot more time to devote to practicing grammar, new vocab etc.

On the otherhand, being able to read and write the characters is cool. Although, being more dificult means easier to completely fail, I have learnt to dread the "oh, you can read Chinese/Japanese... what does this say?" and having to admit that those particular characters are as of yet out of my reach.

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 6:50pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back up! You're in WA? Do you know Mitchell? Works in the mines. Big guy, wears a hat most of the time. You know, Mitchell. Yeah, you know Mitchell.

What is Japanese like to study? That is the one language I want to learn because I heard linguistically it is closer to French than it is close to any of the surrounding Asian languages, an anomaly because of the isolation. Do you have any ideas if this is a decent assessment?

I know basic French, as in real basic, enough to find myself stranded at the Louvre, so I was hoping to learn Japanese a little quicker, although I doubt it is that easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 7:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mitchell. Sure. Big hairy guy.. touched me once.. but that was in the dark and I had long hair then so it doesn't count.. not that Mitchell. Must be the other Mitchell. I heard we have two now. Yep, the mine rush sure has Perth expanding now, even got two Mitchells, planning on hitting up to three or four Pauls anyday now....

Right, silliness aside.

I sadly do not have too much grounding in European lanuages.. have forgotten most of the little Italian I learnt while young, know a few bits of grammar and vocab for Irish gaelic. Know enough vocab form assorted romance laguages to decifer meaning on occasion if written, not spoken (from a casual interest in etymology rather than study of the languages per se).

All of which is a wordy way of saying : I cannot help you with the French/Japanese thing. I will have a sniff around, try tracking down a few of my old lecturers and see what they say, maybe a search through journal entries etc when I get the time.. give me a few days, will let you know if I get anything.

I found Japanese quite quick and easy personally, others don not, so it all depends on you. I recommend learning a few words, then some basic grammar, then lots of vocab so you can throw together lots of (probably incorrect) sentances. Then go and hang with Japanese people, trying as much as you can, going drinking I found helps, gets you past that whole restrictive "afraid to **** up" phase. After doing that for a while, THEN go back and learn grammar.. you will find you know some of it anyway, especially conjugating tense of verbs etc (which, once you learn a few basic rules, is frighteningly easy compared with a language as unruly as English) just from picking it up unconsciously while drunkenly picking up Jap girls. Faster that way.

Thats how it all worked for me anyway. Just have to get my Mandarin cranking the same way :D

[disclaimer: this is a lot of text from a guy with no sleep etc blah blah any spelling mistakes :whoops, but do not care right now. Same goes for grammar blah blah]

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2010 11:51pm

Style: bjj, boxing, ex-iwama ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ha ha i get some bonus/document delivery items from Curtin sometimes
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast