Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 1:00pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
    How would you say it compares to say Wing Chun or Shaolin Five Animals Kung Fu?
    Its all about the same. Main problem is all these arts follow the same fantasy that you can do forms and compliant partner drills and be ready for real combat, there might be 1 school in 1000 that breaks that mold but good luck finding them. They are all admittedly fun to do and you can learn some good stuff if you find the right teacher but you should not rely on any of these alone as your method of self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 2:07pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many thanks for that, Although I train , im nowhere near experienced enough to judge well.
    I was watching an Ashida Kim ninja levitation video and when I stopped laughing wondered how good Frank Dux's equivalent doctrine compared to that and established martial arts.

How would you say it compares to say Wing Chun or Shaolin Five Animals Kung Fu?
    I'd say that the material I've seen might be a little better than Ashida Kim's but that's not saying much. I would say it's suspiciously similar to five animal kung fu, considering he's supposedly teaching a Japanese art. I think he just borrows whatever he wants from other styles which isn't automatically bad, but he seems to just collect the esoteric weird deadliness instead of good stuff. I think it's also fairly likely that he just learned what a leopard fist, tiger claw etc are and just start poking and prodding his training partners with them it until he ended up with his own subsystems.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Its all about the same. Main problem is all these arts follow the same fantasy that you can do forms and compliant partner drills and be ready for real combat, there might be 1 school in 1000 that breaks that mold but good luck finding them. They are all admittedly fun to do and you can learn some good stuff if you find the right teacher but you should not rely on any of these alone as your method of self defense.
    Bolded for fucking emphasis. I feel ranty. I've never really felt this way on BS before.

Sometimes it's almost embarrassing to admit that you do any sort of animal style kung fu because of such things and associations.

God damnit, all of you other KF'ers out there.. wing chun, 5 animal/5 family, Bak Mei, whatever: we're not too deadly for the mat, we're not too deadly for the ring and most certainly not so for the cage. We are not too special to test ourselves. Forms alone do not make good fighters. GEAR UP. And I dont want to hear **** about restrictive equipment, God damnit, there's this amazing invention called 7oz open finger MMA training gloves and they make it possible to USE our precious open hand techniques.

Learning specific techniques intended to maim does not mean we can't go five seconds without kicking someone in the knee or (in many Chunners' cases) the balls and make excuses about not sparring or competing. We have just as many simple, adaptable stances and techniques as we do complicated/training/pretty ones.

As far as competition goes and the refusal to take part in it - why? Sparring is great but there's a different sort of feeling that goes along with fighting someone you're NOT chummy with or protective of as a friend. They're not your training partner, they're your opponent. Adrenaline takes hold again.

Your game plan is never going to come straight from a form (unless that's just oddly how the situation plays out). While we utilize forms as a motion study and a solo conditioning drill, you must use what you learn under pressure to apply it - this means both compliant drills to understand the exercise, then non-compliant sparring over and over again.

Everyone's fucking plan falls apart when they eat a punch, especially when they have never eaten a punch before. Everyone. Including kung fu practitioners who have never done anything besides forms.

Dux's tiger technique made me die a little inside.

I feel better now. Thanks.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The technique videos above are like turds floating in a toilet.

They all smell like **** and should just be flushed away out of sight.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post

Much like the other horrors of the internet, what has been seen cannot be unseen. :icon_conf

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post

Do you know anything about the rest of the system?
    King without a crown

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    YEAH!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!

I mean really, do you think the Military would train soldiers in a compliant environment and do drills and then expect them to go out with that alone and win wars?....oh **** (they do that)...forget this post please and lets continue to live in our "live training" only works club.

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 4:43pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you know anything about the rest of the system?
    The rest of the system smells like farts.

It reeks of **** and should be wafted out of sight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 4:46pm

Style: 10thP/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TruthfindsU View Post
    YEAH!!!!! HELL YEAH!!!!

I mean really, do you think the Military would train soldiers in a compliant environment and do drills and then expect them to go out with that alone and win wars?....oh **** (they do that)...forget this post please and lets continue to live in our "live training" only works club.
    Right....because the military spends a lot of time and money in training unarmed combat....oh wait....no they don't. That's why they have guns and bombs, and try to train those techniques in something approximating "live" situations.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast