--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Birankai Aikikai Aikido

Anyone have any experience or familiarity with "birankai" aikido or Birankai North America? There's an aikido place nearby that says that is what it is affiliated with.

Farther away is a Kokikai Aikido International dojo. I'm wondering if there's any difference.

I'm not interested in granola-head ki new agey-ness, nor the daito ryu let's-break-a-leg stuff either. I will probably have to sit in on a class at both, but if one is clearly wacky I could save myself some time.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't a MABS Worthy post unless you're suggesting the organisation has some issues which are investigation worthy, until then off to Noobietown for you and this thread.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Aikido, bits of jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sitting in to watch a class is a good idea. You'd be better informed if you trained a class or two in both (doing > watching). Since we don't know your exact location no one is here is going to be able to tell you specifics about the two dojos.

Is it definetly aikido you want to practise? What are you goals for training and will aikido help you achieve these goals?

I've no experience of Kokikai.

Birinkai is Chiba sensei's group. I think he was my teacher's teacher for some time while he was living in the UK. He was a direct student of the founder and would be quite aikikai (main aikido group in the world headed by the founder's grandson) in technique. More weapon practise than is normal with aikikai though.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would recommend the Birankai as an organisation purely because of Chiba Kazuo Shihan.

If the instructor(s) of the dojo near the OP is worth his/her salt, then as far as aikido dojo are concerned it will be a decent place to study if aikido is your thing.

Chiba was the Technical Director for the United Kingdom Aikikai for a period of about ten years (if my memory is correct) before some of his UK senior Yudansha broke away from the UKA to form the British Aikikai.

At least with the Birankai, you know you're getting pukka mainline aikido with a strong emphasis on aikiken and aikijo. It should be noted that Chiba is also a Shihan within Muso Shinden Ryu, the connection which exists between the Japanese sword and aikido taiso is deeply emphasised in the aikido taught within the Birankai and I understand that Yudansha are expected to study iaido within the organisation in addition to aikido.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler