Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why am I so hungry?

I'm sorry if this has been covered before and I just have poor search skills.

Anyway, I've been doing stronglifts 2x/week plus BJJ 2x/week and I've been getting in better shape, stronger, etc.

The problem is that I've also noticed my appetite increasing. I mean really, really increasing to the point where when I'm hungry it's absolutely voracious and I just feel like eating twice as much as I did before.

Is this because of an increase in metabolism? Am I training too hard (at 4x/week?!!?!)? Some other reason?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 6:34am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did Stronglifts for a couple of months and the exact same thing happened to me. Absolutely freakin' ravenous all the time. I've recently started bjj, and that doesn't appreciably raise my appetite above normal at all.

It was lifting. Hopefully one of the mods will be along soon to tell us why.

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 7:32am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its pretty simple really, larger muscles need more calories. Building larger muscles requires more calories. Repairing muscles requires more calories.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 11:59am

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    Its pretty simple really, larger muscles need more calories. Building larger muscles requires more calories. Repairing muscles requires more calories.
    Same thing happened when I was lifting a lot in high school, and that's exactly why.

There's an old anecdote from Ahnold about when he was on Muscle Beach in the 70s, he would gather up his bodybuilding friends and bankrupt an All-You-Can-Eat buffet just for shits and giggles.

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 8:00pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same reason people eat everything in sight when they hit puberty. Your body's growing and it needs fuel to do it.