Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 10:57pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Help on balancing workout plan?

The tenuous link of this question in another thread might have made it appear like it wasn't relevant (I put it in the Morning Glory thread).

I've recently started back at the gym pushing weights after years of convincing myself that "martial arts is all I need to get fit, strong and healthy". I stumbled across teh el macho's sig recommending the Stronglift 5x5 program and started it this week, foregoing my old regime for what appears to be a more effective one for my specific needs.

I am concerned, only a day after committing to an ambitious "weekly workout plan", that I am on my way to severely over extending myself. I have been relatively active, for a fatso, for the past two- three years in martial arts, my recently debunked weightlifting regime consisted of bicep/ tricep work, bench, quad, lat, etc (EDIT: I was only two weeks back into it when I found the stronglift). From what I understand it was a decent bodybuilding program (my old man was a bodybuilder in his youth and I've used his program since I was 13ish), mainly utilising machines over free weights.

Seeing as though the Stronglifts 5x5 program (Workout A, Workout B) is three days and Judo takes up two, I am wondering what would be the best course of action for planning. At first I thought I'd do a morning session on the weights on Tuesday morning, giving myself 35 hours recovery before Judo on the Wednesday, but it is about 30 hours in and the lactic acid shows little sign of dissapating, indeed it only seemed to become prevalent this Wednesday morning.

As I was planning on doing Judo this evening, then another weight session tomorrow evening, then Judo on Friday evening, then another weight session on Saturday during the day, I am having second thoughts as to the efficiency of this "plan". Even though I want to "ramp up" my routine, I'm concerned about burn out and a six day a week workout with no rest days in between (that include 2 sleeps) now seems overly ambitious.

Would a better plan be to do a weight session BEFORE Judo on Wednesday and have Thursday as a rest day? Same with Friday's Judo class, do weights before it? Maybe have Sunday as the weight session only day, leaving Saturday to rest? Then on Monday have a light roll with friends and Tuesday the recovery period?

Judo fucks my body up much more than weights, there is a lot more aches and pains the next morning from the impacts as well as muscle soreness so backing up with a weight session the next day might have consequences.

A benefit of a weight session before class I can see for Judo is that I will be sapped of strength before I start the class, so I will be less likely to use strength, thus requiring me to work solely on technique.

Anyway, I'm sure you get my point, I'm looking for advice from you guysas to how you would arrange this workout/ Judo plan? What would you change? Would you forego any sessions/ classes?

Thanks in advance.

PS, mornings are fine to do the weights, if that helps.

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 2:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you read this?
    http://stronglifts.com/forum/strongl...3.html#p214187
    It's also on page 25 of the stronglifts book.

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:23am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're finding it to much to start off with, you can do Stronglifts twice a week only, which will help with recovery.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:45am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers bro. There is heaps more info in that.

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    About the working out 6 days a week or lifting and doing MA on the same days, I think it's all about personal preference so you should try both ways to see which one works best for you. I've never seen anyone say differently.

But starting out at light weights will give a chance for your body to get use to the new workout,and you're going to surpass the amount of weight you can lift now easily once you've made it there by adding slowly. It's just unreal how well this works.