pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    As I watching that trailer, I was getting ready to praise it as a brilliant reinvention of the Mortal Kombat franchise, turning a mystical kung fu opera into a gory crime drama, like a grown up and non-satirical version of There Will be Brawl.
    I don't know, they kinda tried to do that with the Street Fighter Chun Li movie, and it failed horribly. Making a gritty crime drama of Mortal Kombat is like making a gritty crime drama out of Masters of the Universe- it'd be easier to make an original story than to try to warp one out of some piece of childhood nostalgia.

Clearly, they should've hired me to choreograph the movie instead. :P
    Clearly.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else HATE seeing those stupid fucking windmill punches in choreographed fights? It looks so fucking stupid.
    Cowboy punches really easy to shoot, and hence get overused. Additionally, they are in fact totally fucking stupid.
    If we can create an entire planet of glow in the dark vietnam for a movie, we can film a fucking jab.
    This is yet another reason why we need to go back to using Judoka and not TKDoka to do fight scenes. Throws and submissions are big, cinematic, easy to shoot, and varied. Punches and kicks, conversely, are not.
    I blame Bruce Lee. The seventies seem to be when we went from a "Judo and haymakers" school of choreography to a "Kicking and haymakers" school which, for some godawful reason, still dominates cinema.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 11:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    Cowboy punches really easy to shoot, and hence get overused. Additionally, they are in fact totally fucking stupid.
    If we can create an entire planet of glow in the dark vietnam for a movie, we can film a fucking jab.
    This is yet another reason why we need to go back to using Judoka and not TKDoka to do fight scenes. Throws and submissions are big, cinematic, easy to shoot, and varied. Punches and kicks, conversely, are not.
    I blame Bruce Lee. The seventies seem to be when we went from a "Judo and haymakers" school of choreography to a "Kicking and haymakers" school which, for some godawful reason, still dominates cinema.
    No BS MMA and Martial Arts - View Single Post - Hong Kong, 2005: SPL

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 1:47pm

Style: Regretfully, TKD.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems so right. MK has always been a crappy game. However, this movie looks like it's taking the game in a better direction. Granted it will be a B movie full of over acting, but damn it's fitting.

Also Lateef Crowder as Baraka. Really weird choice but will make for some excellent fight scenes as proven with the clip of Baraka vs. Cage.

Not to mention Scorpion as the lead character. Hell yeah.

If anything the movie will be like Ninja Assassins, and that's perfect considering the source material. I approve.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks kinda' neat. I grew up playing MK, the concept art in the old MK manuals is what inspired me to want to stick with art so long ago... I guess I have a weird attachment to it. I'll see it.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 2:15pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fully approve of old judo + haymakers fight scenes, with a peppering of old school pro wrestling for flavor. My favorite fight scene is probably the one where Indiana Jones fights that big Nazi next to the flying wing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 2:26pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got to thinking about this some. So /b/araka is a doctor with a surgery fetish.

Scorpion is an assassin who's blind (probably), Johnny Cage is a dead douchebag, Reptile has a weird skin disease and eats people's heads.

But what could some of the other characters have turned into?

Jax obviously goes along with Scorpion to make sure he gets the job done, but then as he's driving to the tournament, he gets hit by a train. Then some $6 Million Man **** happens and he has robot arms. Probably attached by Baraka.

Kung Lao is going to be Oddjob's cousin.

Raiden will be fucked up, just like every other MK movie and his special weapon will be tasers.

Kitana will be a stupid ****, just like always.

(etc, etc, etc)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 2:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need Cyrax and Sektor in my life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 3:18pm

Style: Judo/Roadwork

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nnate View Post
    You seem to be making the mistake of analyzing this with standards.
    Well, there's good **** and then there's bad ****... In the case of B-movies, I'm of the opinion that a good B-movie is a B-movie that knows it's a B-movie. A bad B-movie on the other hand often doesn't even succeed at sucking bad enough to be entertaining.

Regards,
    Lars

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2010 8:13pm

Style: Half-assery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I'm just going to throw some ideas out here.

All the fighters are brought to the tournament via a promise of unimaginable power or money. That covers why the fighters are showing up. The reason Shang Tsung is organizing the tournament is to collect all their DNA and combine it with himself to give him all their powers/abilities. It'll help him thin out the competition for control of the city/world.

Instead of a multiverse there will be gangs, organizations or maybe countries to divide up the ranks.

I like the idea of Raiden being batshit crazy. I like Cage being dead. Goro being conjoined twins sounds like a better idea than having extra arms attached (EDIT: he might just be a genetically made super soldier). Liquid nitrogen as a weapon sounds hard to work but I can't think of anything else. Jax being experimented on to get his trademark works. Kitana and Mileena will be twins but Mileena will be scarred and blame Kitana. The robots/androids are all feasible in their original states. Kabal might just be the leader of a martial arts gang while wearing a gasmask. Syndel will have some kind of voice box birth defect or addition. Shao Khan will be a roided up freak of nature who heads one of the organizations. Liu Kang will be a master "chi" manipulator. Scorpion probably has a grappling hook attached to his arm.

Most of these characters probably don't make it in but I only listed the ones I think would make sense to be included. On a side note though, I will be really happy if it does focus on Scorpion. I like the idea of all the powers being at least explainable through mock science.
    Last edited by Rath; 6/09/2010 8:27pm at .
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast