Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 12:11pm

Style: Defense Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial arts for young children

Hey. I couldn't think of a good name for this post so I just put "Martial arts for young children" cause it's kind of about that. Anyway, I'm really not a "Martial artist" but I do have some Martial arts experience. I got into martial arts when I was abou 5 years old. I quit like a year after because that's really young. I learned basically nothing and I was only a white belt. Then I went back to a different school when I was about 8. I stayed in there for a bit so I did learn some things. The way they taught it though was quite odd. I remember the sensei giving a situation like "let's say you're at school and the bully trys to take your lunch money" or something like that. I did learn some good techniques in there, much more then I did when I first joined. Then I took Shotokan karate when I was about 12 or 13. I learned a lot, and realized that beating up a bully was NOT the meaning of martial arts. I stuck with it, then I quit and went on to join boxing. Basically in Shotokan I learned that what I was learning when I was younger was crap. Are all dojos like this with younger kids, or is my old dojo just a bunch of crap? Because maybe like they don't want to teach real martial arts to young kids cause it's like too confusing for them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 12:33pm

Style: Defense Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yeah, Martial arts is self defense. But what I'm saying is when I went back to MA in my early teens they taught all this other philosiphy and mind state stuff they never taught when I was younger. I'm thinking it's because it's too complicated for them to learn. But it gives young kids the wrong idea about what martial arts is, and even my shotokan instructer said it.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 12:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i don't think there's any harm in teaching kids along mcdojo lines, i.e. with forms and simple applications and playing around with hitting little targets and stuff, maybe some wrestling for you grappling nutriders out there. i would think it would be better if the kids had fun and played around rather than went home with horribly bruised shins, a flattened nose, and a broken arm!

however, i would like to point out that it's pretty sad when adults learn the same way!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 12:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anything beyond playing would be confusing for kids.

Early childhood can be a valuable time to learn the mechanics in the context of game or sport. Why it's always taught the otherway around is beyond me. A 5 year old doesn't have the maturity to deal with a rational approach to real fighting. And if he's in a situation wherein he IS in real physical danger, then..well, he's got bigger problems than a karate class could ever solve.

As a child I never played any sports, really. While many kids were in tee ball, and playing said games with friends and fathers, I wasn't. Hence, to this day, throwing, catching, and hitting baseballs or whatever is such an embarassment. I even struck out in a slow pitch batting cage...with soft balls. It's ridiculous. Otherwise, I'm actually quite athletically inclined though. I just missed out on that chronic reiforcement of skills which my peers got a daily basis.

The footage I saw at the STraight Blast Gyms seem to have it right. Fun is emphasized, and introducing skills as the rules of the game just happens to be part of it.
    Last edited by Nid; 2/21/2004 1:05pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 12:53pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wolf-

Why in God's name would you possible even consider the fact that martial arts NOT be for hurting people? Martial arts were invented as a means to protect oneself, and you're certainly NOT going to protect yourself philosophizing your opponent to death...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 12:54pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Jenfucius... Nin shuo putong hua ma?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/21/2004 9:01pm

Style: muay-thai/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    put your kid in wrestling, he will learn the most effective martial art, and it is viewed entirely as a healthy sport.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2004 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My new goal for the kiddies I sometimes teach; get them to scream "He's not my daddy!" and wail and kick to their loudest and and most obnoxious best.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez